Post Referendum - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

After its all over and goes either way how do you think the nation will be, given that it is virtually split down the middle. Will there be a lot of tension or will folk make the best of it and try and get on best they can. Thankfully there has been hardly any bother up to now and seems friendly in most part.

It's been tense and I've been careful at work not to be too forceful in my views. But I think the country will settle back down. There are a few no's at my work but I respect their opinions, to a degree, and have got on with them. I expect that to continue. At the political end of things, I think both sides will have to work together regardless of the result and try and build a better future for the country.

Plenty no`s at my work in all the trades but it wont change a thing regarding our work relationship no matter what happens.My wife says she will divorce me and my father in law is gonna brick my windows :-)) My wife`s view was before i went to dortmund so i left her the wee blue book to read while i was away so divorce may now be off the agenda and i am a glazier.So the moaning faced auld git can brick the windows if he wants i will just fix them again ha ha

If you make a success of turning Scotland into a fairer country than the UK currently is, you might find a few people wanting to come the other way as well.

We read a lot about how investment will be taken out of Scotland after independence, but what about the opposite effect? What about people who want to support a country that has a more ethical foreign policy, no nuclear weapons, is trying for more social fairness and is working towards being environmentally friendly etc?

If an independent Scotland attempted to do the things mentioned above, I would consider it the responsibility of all decent and caring people in the RUK to do what they can to help make sure Scotland is successful. I know that it would certainly make me much more likely to want to buy Scottish products and services.

I don't get a vote, but it annoys me that big business and politicians (who have spent years with their snouts in the trough) think they can bully and threaten anyone who dares to rock their comfy little boat.

Guest Extreme0
I don't get a vote, but it annoys me that big business and politicians (who have spent years with their snouts in the trough) think they can bully and threaten anyone who dares to rock their comfy little boat.

There little comfy boat will rock upside soon enough either way. This referendum has brought out the worst of the worst that can be thrown by them. They won't be trusting them for a long time and can see a lot of support against them in future.

If you make a success of turning Scotland into a fairer country than the UK currently is, you might find a few people wanting to come the other way as well.

We read a lot about how investment will be taken out of Scotland after independence, but what about the opposite effect? What about people who want to support a country that has a more ethical foreign policy, no nuclear weapons, is trying for more social fairness and is working towards being environmentally friendly etc?

If an independent Scotland attempted to do the things mentioned above, I would consider it the responsibility of all decent and caring people in the RUK to do what they can to help make sure Scotland is successful. I know that it would certainly make me much more likely to want to buy Scottish products and services.

I feel genuinely sorry for you St G.

Your choices are appalling.

Maybe ours will prove illusory but at least there is some light in the tunnel. (Probably a train)

I feel if we go it will somehow lead to big change for you too.

Good luck you are a good guy and England deserves far better than the shower or ratbags you have.

Excellent post George :ok:

Yes, my hope is that an independent Scotland would be a thorn in the side of the RUK establishment in terms of showing people that there is an alternative to the current way that we are governed and controlled.

I have to be a bit careful not to let my dreams carry me away, though - I was a bright eyed teenager who got swept along in the mid-90's by Tony Blair's promises of a better country and better world. That didn't turn out too well, unfortunately, so I guess I'm a bit less optimistic about the possibility of positive changes than I used to be.

I was a bright eyed teenager who got swept along in the mid-90's by Tony Blair's promises of a better country and better world.

I was 17 when that happened, I genuinely thought things would get much better. What an utter disappointment and then disgrace he turned out to be.

The thing is we are not Independent on the 19th which im sure you all know

So there is plenty time for some angst if its going to happen up until March 2016 !!

Yes, my hope is that an independent Scotland would be a thorn in the side of the RUK establishment in terms of showing people that there is an alternative to the current way that we are governed and controlled.

I have to be a bit careful not to let my dreams carry me away, though - I was a bright eyed teenager who got swept along in the mid-90's by Tony Blair's promises of a better country and better world. That didn't turn out too well, unfortunately, so I guess I'm a bit less optimistic about the possibility of positive changes than I used to be.

I also thought New Labour were real. That was the period that saw the end of old me and the start of new me. It was the Bush/Blair mega lie Iraq war era that turned me away from the blatant lies.

Now actually feels very similar to that period of madness. Up is down black is white...everywhere you look. They lied then and they are lying now.

I also thought New Labour were real. That was the period that saw the end of old me and the start of new me. It was the Bush/Blair mega lie Iraq war era that turned me away from the blatant lies.

Now actually feels very similar to that period of madness. Up is down black is white...everywhere you look. They lied then and they are lying now.

Ditto.

They sold their souls though.

After its all over and goes either way how do you think the nation will be, given that it is virtually split down the middle. Will there be a lot of tension or will folk make the best of it and try and get on best they can. Thankfully there has been hardly any bother up to now and seems friendly in most part.

It's going to be tough no matter what the result because in the first instance there is going to be a lot of bitterness that their side didn't win. But think once things start to simmer down it will be up to us as human beings to make the country work, to get on and be as friendly and civilised as we were before the campaigns began. Fair enough we weren't a perfect society or maybe even never will be, but we shouldn't let the result come between friends & family. That isn't the scotland i know.

Good post .You have been the voice of English rationale .it makes complete sense to want both countries to be successful .Nobody wants a neighbour who is more unstable or who is very different politically.Especially when we have a strong trading relationship.

I personally think and i speak as someone who has studied political history, that Scottish Independence will allow England to revisit her own past pre 1707.This is a past that really has traditionally been at the forefront of social justice and equality.From Henry 3rd and the provisions of Oxford to Wycliffe and Wat Tyler ,not forgetting the principles of parliamentarians in the 1640's and Lollards,Ranters,Quakers and Adamites who certainly extolled free thinking ,at a time when many parts of Europe were embroiled in serfdom.

Britain has been about greed corruption ,colonial war crimes and incurable differences in wealth distribution.England has become a country where the left has become the right and the mainstream media would not look out of place in 1930's Germany .Success and corruption seem acceptable bed fellows and the political elite see the lie almost as a currency to be traded without question,certainly as far as Scotland is concerned .Playing the political game is rewarded by an inclusion into an autocratic elite society where communists become Lords and join the ranks of the mega rich,who of course own most of the land which is rightly ours by birth.

The destruction of the British state will be of benefit all countries on this island .It will give us more of a sense of who we really are and like our close neighbours in Europe and our relationships with our global trading partners we will get along just fine,with equal respect.

Edited by Wine bibber

if the result goes YES i hope all the no voters accept this and ever body then comes together to make it work

if the result goes NO i hope all the people who have been politicised by the referendum especially the first time voters dont turn their back on politics and continue the fight and stay organised because if it doesn`t come this time its only a matter of time

I think back to the Iraq war, which divided the country, and was very polarised pro and anti, especially in the run up to the 'decision' to go to war. But it defused and healed after a while.

This was partly because the way the war went - and the revelations of the WMD, the anti-war side being in some senses being vindicated - and the acceptance by some of those who had been pro-war accepting they'd been conned, and admitting they would not have supported it had they known the truth.

There are several possible parallels to draw on here, that point to different conclusions to be drawn (but no time to spell them out,...)

If it's a no vote I think the first thing we need to do is take the free bus passes and prescriptions from the old folk and ram them up their ungrateful arses.

Or maybe just take them away without the ramming...but they don't deserve them anymore.

Edited by thewelk

:hug: