Don't Give Up, - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don't Give Up,

gaz7

As it says if we had won last night we would have had to beat Poland or Germany for automatic qualification. Now we will have to beat either for a play off. We have not done good since last year and whilst hindsight is great, strachan relying on who's produced previously doesn't cut it. A year is a huge time in football and brown,Morrison,fletcher,Maloney, think they have here haw to do to be in the team. I love Scott brown but facts are he's been poor for a while and used to losing big games,Darren fletcher would have been screaming at his players last night imo. Keep the faith I know it's hard I'm gutted as I'm of to Portugal for heehaw maybe but we r not dead yet.

I put last night more down to no basic system/plan put together by Strachan to breakdown a counter-attacking side. The players playing last night would have been first pick in 99.99% of the fans minds as well as it was those same players that gave us the hope. We need to work on a system based on more attacking to win matches such as last night. At present we don't have it.

Apart from Steven Fletcher who was awful and has been poor since the first game in the campaign. OK he scored a hat-trick against a pish poor Gibraltar team but he's on 4 goals in 22 games, not playing for his club...

Agree Craig.

Apart from Steven Fletcher who was awful and has been poor since the first game in the campaign. OK he scored a hat-trick against a pish poor Gibraltar team but he's on 4 goals in 22 games, not playing for his club...

Agree Craig.

For risk of seeming like a stuck record, Steven Fletcher has done it again ! - Make a chance look difficult, by going for it with his left foot and making a mess of it, when it was a simple chance on his right. He did exactly the same away to Germany and home to Ireland. The chance from that great ball from Robertson was right on the plate for any half decent striker, and we would and should have been one up, and a totally different game then ! The way he slid actually looked, to me, if he did not believe he was going to get it, and was making a token effort (which kind of describes his general goalscoring ability - or lack of). Until such time as we have a quality striker, we are going to struggle to win these sort of games. I'm not saying Griffiths is a great player, but I bet he would have scored there, or at least got a connection on it.

Having said all that, it's not dead yet. Obviously depends on other results, but could still realistically achieve third spot, even if we lose to Germany. But let's lose the doom and gloom, get behind the team on Monday, any you just never know !!

Are we still within a chance of qualifying automatically as the best third placed team? A wee glance over the tables and it looks like Ukraine?

Definitely not

Our best chance, slim as it is, is sneaking into the play offs

We just need one more point than Ireland. They've still to play Georgia, Poland & Germany... I could see them getting 0pts from these 3 games, they've had FAR too much good fortune so far, must be our turn now surely.

We just need one more point than Ireland. They've still to play Georgia, Poland & Germany... I could see them getting 0pts from these 3 games, they've had FAR too much good fortune so far, must be our turn now surely.

I don't know. I thought it was luck for a while but I'm not sure now. They'll sneak past Georgia tomorrow and are capable of getting a point from their remaining 2 games.

I think we'll need to beat one of Poland or Germany and after Fridays performance I'm not convinced we can.

At least an almost positive post on here. Friday was terrible, I'm as gutted as anyone, but if you believe some of the posts on here we should change the manager and half the team. The reality is we all moaned when we were playing defensive so WGS developed a style that makes us dangerous going forward, Georgia worked it out and were worth the win. But think back to last campaign, we were out by now. Tomorrow night we've got the world champions coming to our place in a massive match so let's all get our head out our arses (players and fans) and believe this is still possible.

I can read.

I'm asking what the statement means.

I think it means, they (The Scottish international football team) are due us, (The long suffering Scottish International football team support) a win against a team (in this case the German International football team) when we are not really expected to.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by northernscum

I think it means, they (The Scottish international football team) are due us, (The long suffering Scottish International football team support) a win against a team (in this case the German International football team) when we are not really expected to.

Hope this helps. :)

I think it's the word 'due' that is my main cause of confusion here. What do you mean 'are DUE us a win?'

Waited a couple of days until posting as it easy to come out with some knee jerk crap straight after the match.

That said I still think Friday night was pitifully bad. I can't work up any optimism for the remaining matches. I can't disagree with points being raised but quite why (other than v Gib) having watched that on Friday anyone can think we'll win versus Germany / Poland I don't know.

Sorry for the pessimism

he didn't say "are due us a win".

he said "we're due a big home win" ......... reading between the lines and using my phd in detectivery, it mean's it's about time we got a win against a guid team at hampden.

I'm not being smug about my phd, but are you daft?

The original poster did indeed say 'we're due a big home win.'

It was the person who tried to explain it further that I was quoting who said 'are due us a win.'

Either way I'm still not getting the idea of being 'due' a home win.

Firstly what about Croatia or Ireland? Perhaps they aren't coming under the poster's definition of big. I don't know.

Secondly, we're only going to play a 'big' team at home on average of every two years. How often do you expect to win these games? The bookies have us at 15/2 to win tomorrow which would suggest we should win one of these games every 20 years. We beat France in 2006 so I wouldn't necessarily say we are 'due' another such win if that's what the poster meant. It's yet another case of fans feeling their team are hard done by when not really the case.

Finally and probably my main issue, football doesn't work like that, so it was a pretty naive comment in the first place. We won't win a game against a big team simply by being 'due' to win one. Each game is an individual event, unrelated to the successes or failures of previous campaigns. At least unrelated in the way the poster meant.