One Year On. - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One Year On.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/1328355-support-for-independence-ahead-but-snp-backing-down-poll-finds/

The big thing is the future

"Younger voters aged between 16 and 34 were the most likely to say they wanted independence, with 59% supporting Yes, 28% backing No and 13% unsure.

The picture was almost reversed for older Scots, with those over 55 favouring a No vote by 58% to 31%, while 12% were uncertain."

You've also got to factor in though a lot of younger folk will mature, and change their views

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've also got to factor in though a lot of younger folk will mature, and change their views

Younger folk get their news and information from non MSM sources. they are more open minded than the current older generation and wont be fooled by the Record or the BBC...

one or two will turn out to be selfish and become no voters others wont.

Quite a patronising post .. but if it keeps you happy ..

next time around a lot of the "shock and awe" tactics used by the no campaign such as big business leaders coming out against indy are gone.

what will still need to be challenged is the currency issue, enough people had the frighteners put on them through this channel that prevented a Yes vote. I dont see any mass movement in the last year, I think there is an entrenchment on both sides with very few who would describe themselves as floating between the two.

Sadly, I think we may need to wait it out for 20 years plus to see the passing of the older generation who voted in big numbers for NO.

The elephant in the room that no one on the YES side wants to talk about for fear of being called nazis/racists etc, is that people born outside of Scotland who have settled here under the auspices of Scotland being part of the United Kingdom voted overwhelmingly for NO, this 10 to 15% of the population probably wont be moved in their views and are probably the actual blockage to us ever reaching independence.

I met plenty of people born in England/Wales that voted Yes then again they all had educated themselves rather than just look at voting no

Younger folk get their news and information from non MSM sources. they are more open minded than the current older generation and wont be fooled by the Record or the BBC...

one or two will turn out to be selfish and become no voters others wont.

Quite a patronising post .. but if it keeps you happy ..

check my post above

playing devils advocate card

Only a 6% swing needed for victory next time.

Dare I say it - I think the next referendum should be called after the change in Monarchy. When Charles takes the throne I would predict some people's feelings of "Britishness" might take a dive. This coupled with the "I don't like Alex Salmond" crowd could be enough to swing it.

Dare I say it - I think the next referendum should be called after the change in Monarchy. When Charles takes the throne I would predict some people's feelings of "Britishness" might take a dive. This coupled with the "I don't like Alex Salmond" crowd could be enough to swing it.

Lizzys 89 and still going... wonder what the odds of her going another 11 years are?

Frank GIlfeather (Aberdeen journalist) on GMS just now. He voted Yes, but now regrets it, and will definitely vote No in any future referendum.

Probably due to the pelters he's taken in No City since :-))

Quite an emotional piece on GMS remembering the day with "Don't Dream It's Over" playing in the background. Even the FM was moved to comment on it...

Edited by Toepoke

Still going to take time to get that swing into our favour. Despite what these "polls" say, if another Referendum was being held today No would still win so there's no point rushing into it.

Yes we will go through another 5-10 years of misery but more those in the undecided camp who likely voted No will eventually realise (if they haven't already) they made the wrong choice with the so-called promises not being fulfilled and more punish the poor cuts, i.e the Tax Credits cuts being announced this week, leaving them pissed off so much they'll deflect to the Yes side. Plus, there's another generation old enough to vote that could help swing Independence our way.

It shouldn't come down to tax cuts, etc. FFS vote for your country to be a normal country on the world stage.

Whilst I agree, there are some who are influenced by other factors. The lack of clarity on currency was a big fault in the Yes campaign.