North Sea Oil Revenues Down 75% - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North Sea Oil Revenues Down 75%

Fkin unionists with the same ignorant pish. The sooner we rid the running of our country from them and their attitudes the better. The way they talk about Scotland sickens me. Self serving shitebags like that the union can keep.

Remember that revenues are difference from reserves.

There is still a lot of oil in the north sea, plus West of Shetland contains some huge recent discoveries.

The problem at the moment is the price of oil - and it is not just UK that is suffering.

Most oil nations on earth outside of the gulf are producing at a loss just now.

Venezuela / Russia <etc> in big trouble.

The general acceptance seems to be that low price of oil is mainly due to Saudi Arabia over producing oil to win back market share from American frackers. When the ramp back production (in the autumn?) then price of oil will rise.

Scotland has seen massive slumps in the oil industry before (1986....)
What we need is an oil find to smooth out the inevitable booms and busts.

Guest flumax

Of the eu member states :Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Only these produce oil.

UK 800k b/d, Denmark 175, Italy 106, Romania 85,Germany 52, Netherlands 28 Poland 19, Austria17 France 15, Croatia 10, Spain 6, Czech Republic 3, Lithuania 2, Bulgaria 1, Greece 1.

Guessing the others should seek mergers with an oil producing neighbour.

Didn't realise UK (majority north Britain) production was do high compared to other eu nations. How do the likes of Ireland, Andorra, Malta, Sweden, Portugal, Slovenia, Luxembourg, Belgium, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Slovakia have the audacity and ability to be independent nations.

Guest flumax

Hayzeus. Contributed £35 bn to hmrc, block grant £28bn. So halving the revenue would still be substantial chunk of what is needed to "run" Scotland. Nevermind other tax revenue sources.

People seeing oil as a negative need a word with themselves

Our media constantly reports "lower" oil prices as a bad thing. They also do the same with house prices. They constantly report rising house prices as a good thing and if price rises slow down it's a "slump" and a bad, bad thing. For the majority of people lower oil and house prices are GOOD things. It's a massive con trick, don't fall for it.

I do have sympathy for workers in the oil industry who are losing their jobs, but they have plenty transferrable skills and I am sure they will find something else.

I've got no sympathy for oil workers. They go into that sector knowing it's unstable but they don't mind because they get their 5 times the norm salaries. That's their oil fund.

The uk media is controlled by the privileged ruling classes. For those guys with their real estate portfolios a non rising house price is a very bad thing so thats how it is reported. Similar for oil I suppose.

Remember that revenues are difference from reserves.

There is still a lot of oil in the north sea, plus West of Shetland contains some huge recent discoveries.

The problem at the moment is the price of oil - and it is not just UK that is suffering.

Most oil nations on earth outside of the gulf are producing at a loss just now.

Venezuela / Russia <etc> in big trouble.

The general acceptance seems to be that low price of oil is mainly due to Saudi Arabia over producing oil to win back market share from American frackers. When the ramp back production (in the autumn?) then price of oil will rise.

Scotland has seen massive slumps in the oil industry before (1986....)

What we need is an oil find to smooth out the inevitable booms and busts.

The price of "fracked" is around $60 a barrel and given it's relatively easy to turn a fracked supply on and off if the price goes above $60 then the fracked supply will turn back on, which will keep the price below the cost of production in the North Sea.

I've got no sympathy for oil workers. They go into that sector knowing it's unstable but they don't mind because they get their 5 times the norm salaries. That's their oil fund.

The uk media is controlled by the privileged ruling classes. For those guys with their real estate portfolios a non rising house price is a very bad thing so thats how it is reported. Similar for oil I suppose.

what comic book did you get that figure from ? I know University qualified guys (geology ) that were spending 6 months of year in Equatorial Guinea and wage was piss poor

You need to get yer hole.

Oil workers consider 40k to be piss poor though.

was not as much as that - and you are giving no consideration at all, to them being 6 months away from family

Thought you said they were all on minimum £65K ?

Edited by euan2020

was not as much as that - and you are giving no consideration at all, to them being 6 months away from family

Thought you said they were all on minimum £65K ?

When did i say that? Sounds like something I would say...

The problem is that oil workers normalise their inflated salaries and get used to it when it was never meant to be normal. Sometimes the higher pay is for extra risk and sometimes it's for the unstable nature of the sector.

But 40k should be a more than livable salary anywhere in the world. I don't know about aberdeen though.

Still got no sympathy.

Edited by thewelk