North Sea Oil Revenues Down 75% - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North Sea Oil Revenues Down 75%

How many small independent countries are there in the world that have nowhere near the resources we have that do very well thankyouverymuch? What is it about Scotland according to unionists that makes us uniquely so pathetic we couldn't cope without the so called union looking after our finances and resources for us?

Oil is a bonus NOT a basis.

Unionist politicians are not interested in you or us they are interested in THEMSELVES. Wake the fk up.

Guest flumax

Did hear yesterday from someone who goes to meetings in the evening (I strongly suspect with certain handshakes), that oil to the UK is not about the economics, but the strategic influence of the UK in the world. He said without oil and gas, the UK would be at the whim of Russia/middle east i.e UK can dictate what it does a opposed to having to "do as we say or the tap gets turned off."

So I sorta see his points w/ regards to the UK, but he couldn't explain why Scotland shouldn't go it alone and take the oil and then wouldn't have to pander to these folk. I guess it's an altruistic sentiment to ruk.

Ex army, so maybe it's all UK thinking anyway

When did i say that? Sounds like something I would say...

The problem is that oil workers normalise their inflated salaries and get used to it when it was never meant to be normal. Sometimes the higher pay is for extra risk and sometimes it's for the unstable nature of the sector.

But 40k should be a more than livable salary anywhere in the world. I don't know about aberdeen though.

Still got no sympathy.

You seem very confused. You actually have argued against your own point in your comments above,

Strange that regardless of your thoughts, you would not have sympathy for people losing their jobs/security/lifestyle and all the stresses that come with it, regardless of how much they earned.

Bit sad really.

When did i say that? Sounds like something I would say...

The problem is that oil workers normalise their inflated salaries and get used to it when it was never meant to be normal. Sometimes the higher pay is for extra risk and sometimes it's for the unstable nature of the sector.

But 40k should be a more than livable salary anywhere in the world. I don't know about aberdeen though.

Still got no sympathy.

You said they were on 5 times normal wage

Minimum wage is around £6.70

So £6.70 * 37.5 Week * 52 Weeks * 5 = £65K

House orices in Aberdeen are astronomical now - every house seems to be £300K and even 1 bedroom in Union Grove £200K - was gobsmacked when back home last week, seeing 4-5 bedroom houses in Echt for £565K brand new and certainly not mansions

You seem very confused. You actually have argued against your own point in your comments above,

Strange that regardless of your thoughts, you would not have sympathy for people losing their jobs/security/lifestyle and all the stresses that come with it, regardless of how much they earned.

Bit sad really.

Are you asking me to have sympathy for people who lost their insecure job and thus their lavish lifestyle? Sorry, I can't. If you know your job is insecure you plan for that and everything is good.

If those people getting crap salaries in the oil industry despite the lack of job security actually exist, then I do feel sorry for them. But I never met one.

Bit sad really.

You said they were on 5 times normal wage

Minimum wage is around £6.70

So £6.70 * 37.5 Week * 52 Weeks * 5 = £65K

House orices in Aberdeen are astronomical now - every house seems to be £300K and even 1 bedroom in Union Grove £200K - was gobsmacked when back home last week, seeing 4-5 bedroom houses in Echt for £565K brand new and certainly not mansions

Don't waste your time. Welk is pretty clearly bitter, ill-formed and ignorant. My first ever TAMB "ignore".

Edited by SMcoolJ

I'm an oil guy, and not defensive, but when you say you've got no sympathy for folk losing their and their families livelihoods it just comes across as crass.

I suppose yeah. What im trying to say in a crass way is if those guys lose their jobs it shouldn't be that much of a surprise and they should have a fund to deal with it. It's part and parcel of this type of job.

When I was working freelance I was earning quite well but was always prepared for that 6 months where I had no contract. It never happened but there was a always a good chance so I never bought that expensive BMW.

A lot of oil workers don't seem to realise that they're also in this position and some of them even start feeling a sense of entitlement.

It's true that I'm slightly bitter though!

Don't waste your time. Welk is pretty clearly bitter, ill-formed and ignorant. My first ever TAMB "ignore".

Funnily enough, I got the feeling he was on ignore by a few peeps as the flow of the threads he's been posting on,

seemed like virtually, he was....well.... being ignored, like he was invisible.

And for the first time ever, that was my thought tonight.

I just can't be bothered with this, I'm just going to put this guy on ignore.

Pub bore. Knows everything, knows nothing.

• 4 months later...

That's the Saudi's posted a $98 billion deficit for this year alone. The largest in it's history, wonder how long they can stay the course with this tactic.

If they want to avoid being overthrown in a coup, they will probably want to avoid increasing taxes on their featherbedded native population, so probably by mid-2016 we'll see them cutting production slightly, which will cause a rapid increase in the oil price. They are trying to kill off racking and once it's clear that they can make fracking a money loser, there will be very little appetite for investment in new fracking projects. the Saudis then keep their market share, and they make more money as the oil price is a lot higher. Job done.

If they want to avoid being overthrown in a coup, they will probably want to avoid increasing taxes on their featherbedded native population, so probably by mid-2016 we'll see them cutting production slightly, which will cause a rapid increase in the oil price. They are trying to kill off racking and once it's clear that they can make fracking a money loser, there will be very little appetite for investment in new fracking projects. the Saudis then keep their market share, and they make more money as the oil price is a lot higher. Job done.

Additionally puts pressure on the Russians. However Saudi playing a dangerous game as there economy relies on oil a lot more than Russia. I've been studying how the whole US-Saudi thing came together in the first place, really interesting.