Films Begging To Be Remade - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Films Begging To Be Remade

The greatest films thread reminded me of a conversation I was having in work a few weeks back.

With CGI and other modern film making techniques now available, what films would you like to see remade?

For me The Towering Inferno and The Battle of Britain could be spectacular if they were done again now.

For me The Towering Inferno and The Battle of Britain could be spectacular if they were done again now.

I went to see The Towering Inferno at the cinema with my Mum and Dad as a wee boy and have watched it on TV a few times since.

What confused me as a wee boy does the same as an "adult" in that the fire in the film goes against physics in that no matter how much water is poured on it, it doesnt go out until it does at the end when they want it to go out

It just looks ridiculous now

Edited by Ally Bongo

No films should ever be remade. Every 'classic' that has been remade has turned out to be utter pants - Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Ladykillers, The Wicker Man...

Going by the trailers just wait for Dad's Army

I think thats going to win the record of worst remake ever

looks pish - i think part of the quaintness of likes of Dads Army & Aint half hot mum ( i used to love watching that )

is that the actors and sets were not as polished as now - that kind of added to the fun factor and novelty of the show - kind of similar to the more realness of Mrs Browns Boys

I was going to say Jurassic Park but Jurassic World is virtually a remake - same storyline - just updated.

Enjoyed both films but thee concept is fabulous but they were made suitable for kids viewing. They could have been more tense and properly horrific. Ive read thee Lost World - couldn't put the book down once Id started - the films could have been absolutely brilliant instead of just good.

The greatest films thread reminded me of a conversation I was having in work a few weeks back.

With CGI and other modern film making techniques now available, what films would you like to see remade?

Think The Battle of Britain is a good choice. If you're going to remake a film it probably has to be a lesser known one, or one that was awful first time around. BoB was a great film, but not many folks nowadays know about it.

If Dad's Army is going to take the worst remake it has a long way to go to beat Gus Van Sant's Psycho.

I was going to say Jurassic Park but Jurassic World is virtually a remake - same storyline - just updated.

Enjoyed both films but thee concept is fabulous but they were made suitable for kids viewing. They could have been more tense and properly horrific. Ive read thee Lost World - couldn't put the book down once Id started - the films could have been absolutely brilliant instead of just good.[/quote

]

Totally agree with this. I remember reading the opening paragraph of the book and thinking it would make great film. Problem is it was the wrong genre, should have been a horror film classified as an 18 rather than an action movie for all the family. People are getting hunted by dinosaurs and yet there's less bad language than a normal football match!

Have there been any remakes of films that were great & big originally that are actually any good ?

In recent times i can think of only Cape Fear which actually got plaudits

I think people find the best remakes are those where they have not seen the original either because the original was made years ago or the original was foreign

Dawn of the Dead was good but it technically wasnt a remake. It was just an updated version with a similar plotline but very different from the original

Psycho was just a complete scene by scene copy with different actors

Probably the best i can think of are;

Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty - a remake of Here Comes Mr Jordan from 1941

The Thing - a remake of The Thing from Another World in 1951

Scarface - a remake of the 1932 film of the same name

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - a remake of the 1956 film of the same name

But again the originals of these werent either really big hits in their own right (more often than not cult movies) or they were made so long ago

The Ring was a remake of a film which was big in Japan (no puns please) and The Magnificent Seven was a remake of another Japanese film (Seven Samurai)

The Thing was f***in terrifying! Couldn't watch it again for years :ph34r:

Aye it's a classic still watchable to this day

John Carpenter was/is some man