Unpc - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A spade was the term given to a black man when digging roads and laying rail tracks. If a hole needed to be dug a shout would go out for a spade.

You live and learn. There was me thinking a spade was just what you dug holes with in the garden!

It's lovely being naive sometimes!

A spade was the term given to a black man when digging roads and laying rail tracks. If a hole needed to be dug a shout would go out for a spade.

Serious bit of revisionism going in there. Nothing go do with spades being black in a deck of cards then?

Infact it first seems to have been used in1542 just a shade before roads or rail tracks were being dug.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/call-a-spade-a-spade.html

Edited by neil r

Spade is a new one on me.

The missus fell out with her dad recently over his use of the 'n' word - he sees nothing wrong with it and reckons *he* is the one wronged for being unfairly chastised.

I wonder if in 40 years time that will be me with my daughter, and the word 'spade'?

Guest BlueGaz

I have learned something too, I thought call a spade a spade was because there was other [incorrect] words for spade, like shovel !!!!!! D'oh.

Edited by BlueGaz

Thats what it is is it not, the difference between a spade and a shovel??

Just checked that usage outdates the American usage of Spade as a racial slur, Wilde was using it in the 1800's

Edited by phart

I once worked for a Housing Association in England LB Tower Hamlets, the Chairman was happy with everything but then said "There is only one nigger in the woodpile"

:-)):yikes3:

Nigger used be a term for a black charred timber in the woodpile - comes from Latin - Niger

Coloured has been offensive to Blacks since 20 years ago. Coloued was originally meant to be PC but it was stopped almost instantly.

The one I've had to educate the Kids on (they are in their mid 20's) is referring to Chinese Takeaway or Meal as a "Chinky" - Not sure if just a Dundee thing, but have never used it myself. Adamant they would continue using it as they has used it all their LIFE hahaha (My Alf Garnett reference was lost on them).

I called a new uniform jacket a bit GAY in the office 2 weeks ago before realing the girl I said it to was a stone wall dyke .... oops :blush: I mean Thespian.

Still get pished off when the father in law (in his 70's) call the local corner shop the P$$kis.

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

Coloured is a massive no no. Why should someone be described as coloured? Everyone is coloured. It is used in South Africa for mixed race but is accepted there.

Its "coiloured" people who cal themselves coloured though - I guess this likelyy was them embracing it a while back and covers black mixed race, indian descent, malaysian descent, chinese - anyone who's hair couldn't hold a comb.i

I've heard some of the most racist comments about blacks coming from "coloured's"

I once worked for a Housing Association in England LB Tower Hamlets, the Chairman was happy with everything but then said "There is only one nigger in the woodpile"

Nigger used be a term for a black charred timber in the woodpile - comes from Latin - Niger

Coloured has been offensive to Blacks since 20 years ago. Coloued was originally meant to be PC but it was stopped almost instantly.

The one I've had to educate the Kids on (they are in their mid 20's) is referring to Chinese Takeaway or Meal as a "Chinky" - Not sure if just a Dundee thing, but have never used it myself. Adamant they would continue using it as they has used it all their LIFE hahaha (My Alf Garnett reference was lost on them).

I called a new uniform jacket a bit GAY in the office 2 weeks ago before realing the girl I said it to was a stone wall dyke .... oops :blush: I mean Thespian.

Still get pished off when the father in law (in his 70's) call the local corner shop the P$$kis.

Chinky was always used in my house as one of many foods shortened through laziness. Everyone knows that chinky is a combination of two words, Chinese and meal and has zero abuse attached to it. In the same way that cornies or ricers were for cornflakes and rice crispies. Or spag bol or totties or hundreds of others.

People are far too uptight about these things and immediately think that somehow this is a racist term. It's not.

In fact when I hear most people now saying they are going for a Chinese, I honestly wish they would finish the sentence.

Chinky was always used in my house as one of many foods shortened through laziness. Everyone knows that chinky is a combination of two words, Chinese and meal and has zero abuse attached to it. In the same way that cornies or ricers were for cornflakes and rice crispies. Or spag bol or totties or hundreds of others.

People are far too uptight about these things and immediately think that somehow this is a racist term. It's not.

In fact when I hear most people now saying they are going for a Chinese, I honestly wish they would finish the sentence.

How do the words Chinese and meal come out as chinky?

I'm with you, don't like people saying Chinkys or Pakis.

Chinkys is common in Glasgow area but tends to be more neddy ####wits that say it.

You would need to ask the very first person who uttered this word. Maybe he/she tried Chinny, Cheal, Chinal and some others and Chinky just stood out. No idea.

Are you offended?

no, not really. Just don't understand how you were so sure where the word came from and them could offer no explanation.

no, not really. Just don't understand how you were so sure where the word came from and them could offer no explanation.

I'm not sure if you are on the wind up or not.

In relation to going for a chinky, what words do you think chinky relates to?

I am 100% certain it is slang for Chinese and meal.

I have never used it in a derogatory manner.

That's why I said most people use it in an non derogatory manner without knowingly doing so. It is derived from a derogatory term and could be deemed offensive irrespective of whether the individual realised the connotations or not. The world like the term used for local convenience stores ran by Pakistani individuals should not be used. In my opinion of course. It is a fact that both terms are derived from offensive terms though.