Aberdeen V Kairat Almaty - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent performance from the Reds, just let down by lacking a wee bit of quality in the last third.

Our creative players just didn't have enough impact. Hayes was rubbish, and McGinn was anonymous until the 60th minute. When you're not creating enough chances, there's always a chance you'll get hit by a sucker punch.

It's a pity we couldn't get past a reasonably limited Almaty side, but it's all part of the learning curve.

Bring on....ehhh...whoever we play this weekend. Oh aye...Killie.

Decent performance from the Reds, just let down by lacking a wee bit of quality in the last third.

Our creative players just didn't have enough impact. Hayes was rubbish, and McGinn was anonymous until the 60th minute. When you're not creating enough chances, there's always a chance you'll get hit by a sucker punch.

It's a pity we couldn't get past a reasonably limited Almaty side, but it's all part of the learning curve.

Bring on....ehhh...whoever we play this weekend. Oh aye...Killie.

On the upside, McLean looks like a great bit of business.

From my view in the Merkland (with my niece) it was a definite foul throw. However we won the ball after the throw, and then gave it away. ####sake.

I went along as a neutral tonight after wangling a free ticket. It wasn't a foul throw I'm afraid, but like you said the Dons gave possession away regardless.

Pawlett had two horrific dives last night - I'm disappointed to see that side of his game hasn't disappeared.

Aye as mentioned before tonight's match would've been a last 16 tie in days of old.

Really tough for teams from traditional smaller countries to progress nowadays...

Very true. Noticed Gothenburg struggling tonight. Hungary, Austria all used to have good European teams and been left out to rot by UEFA so that 7th place in Spain and England get guaranteed games.

Strangely Cyprus seem to be becoming a bit of a minor force and even the Maltese no longer lose 10-0.

Edited by adamntg

I haven't seen proper European football comedy play acting like that since the 80s.It was proper old school rolling about for five minutes when you haven't been touched shit.

I reckon there was at least three minutes between them scoring and Aberdeen taking centre due to their player still celebrating on his own while everybody was trying to get the game re-started.

Disappointed to go out but Kairat probably deserved the victory over the 2 legs.

Last night we dominated the ball and the game without breaking down Kairat much or creating many clear chances. The few we did have, we didn't do enough with.

Was very disappointed with McGinn and Hayes. Their off the ball movement was poor and they struggled to get themselves involved in the game anywhere near enough. The substitution of Pawlett was bizarre too. He'd looked like our most dangerous attacking player.

Pawlett had two horrific dives last night - I'm disappointed to see that side of his game hasn't disappeared.

Without condoning diving in any shape or form..... we've got on the one hand a few posts on this thread suggesting that Scottish teams get more cynical and streetwise in European football, and on the other hand we're criticising our players for trying to take advantage of a weak referee.

As has been pointed out, Kairat indulged in plenty of blatantly obvious timewasting and faking injury last night......they realised early on that the referee was indulging them and they played him like a banjo.

That for me is far more cynical than Pawlett going down a bit too easily after a bit of contact.

Just shows how tough it is to progress through the earlier rounds.

Definitely. I'd be interested to know the budget Kairat have, in relation to ours. I doubt Tymoschuck is playing for much less than £10k a week!

Aberdeen should take a lot of positives from this campaign. Just shows how tough it is to progress through the earlier rounds.

I agree.

It's been an enjoyable 6 games, and a far better pre-season preparation than some knock-about games in Peterhead and Montrose.

It's all a learning curve, and this will help the players mentality for the season to come. It also highlights the weaknesses that we still have, which in the main are a lack of real creativity up front, and an alarming habit of allowing opposition players far too much space between the midfield and defence.

I think all the goals we conceded, apart from the one in Macedonia, came from the opposition finding space about 25 yards out right in the centre of the park.

Guest allyc

Scottish teams find it hard to negotiate the qualification rounds for whatever reason.bring back the old style European cups.still shouldn't be getting binned by a team from Kazakhstan imo tho.

Edited by allyc