White Wine - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Popped down to the Mosel valley last weekend, as you do. Beautiful part of the world.

Came back with 3 boxes of riesling, and a box of riesling sekt which is a fine wee bubbly to sit drinking in the garden on a warm summer's evening.

Riesling's not my favourite, but when it's coming from the vineyard 50 yards from your hotel, then it gives it a nice wee attachment.

Some Riesling can be superb with the right food/ temperature.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White wine is for burdz or as a nice cool drink in the summer before you start proper drinking

All red should be bought from Italy,France or Spain (in that order).New world wines are best kept to wanky pubs and weatherspoons.

Are you taunting Flora by starting this fred ?

White wine is for burdz or as a nice cool drink in the summer before you start proper drinking

All red should be bought from Italy,France or Spain (in that order).New world wines are best kept to wanky pubs and weatherspoons.

Are you taunting Flora by starting this fred ?

Definitely not! Another Aberdeen fan (banned from this board some time ago), who got tanked on white wine on his flight to Skopje (courtesy of Turkish Airlines).

Correct answer, white wine is a girly drink. A walk round the beer gardens this evening would confirm this.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Mental assigning Gender to drinks.oh i can't drink that as i'm a man and it's a girls drink. Talk about social-hangups affecting behaviour, so many self imposed chains on actions. Reminds me of the wedding i was at we all went round the castle there, and on the way out there was this tiny chain 2 foot off the ground blocking the exit, folk were wandering about trapped, i just stepped over the chain and went about my day. It's astounding to see.

Red mostly, but tonight I did a stir fry chicken with ginger and garlic. Picpoul de Pinet proved that white works well with spice and chicken.

Picpoul (great shout) or Gavi, the two favoured whites in my hoos at the moment. Sickened myself of Sauvignon Blanc years ago. If circumstance or weather did not dictate, I prefer red. Quaffed an absolutely fantastic Gevrey Chambertin the other night - nae cheap but there was a birthday to be celebrated....or something.

I'm also liking Spanish whites at the moment. Martin Codax albarino for about 11 pounds in Aitkens in the Ferry. Off to Menorca in a few weeks for 3 weeks and planning a birthday lunch for my mrs at Trebol restaurant in ES Castell, and they have the Martin Codax at 18 euro :)

Great wee wine shop. Regularly pop in there.

Not sure if I've had the Martin Codax but may have to check it out.

Great wee wine shop. Regularly pop in there.

Not sure if I've had the Martin Codax but may have to check it out.

Have you been to their wine bar in dundee ?

The Martin Codax is brilliant. You won't regret it.

In general it looks like about a tenner a bottle you are getting really nice wine. Plenty of rubbish around for a fiver though. Been on the Picpoul recently at a reduced 6.49 in Tesco.

Have you been to their wine bar in dundee ?

The Martin Codax is brilliant. You won't regret it.

In general it looks like about a tenner a bottle you are getting really nice wine. Plenty of rubbish around for a fiver though. Been on the Picpoul recently at a reduced 6.49 in Tesco.

Wine bar ? I know they do a monthly wine tasting in their main store in town (I've never been though) but didn't realise they had a bar ?

Whereabouts ?

Another vote for Chablis - followed by most Italian dry white wines. Don't like red at all.

Great fun getting pissed on wine. Travelling to Dublin from Holyhead a few years ago for that mickey mouse cup thing, upgrading to club class on the boat got wine included. Lost count after the 11 th large glass...great night in Dublin after getting off boat though.

Wine bar ? I know they do a monthly wine tasting in their main store in town (I've never been though) but didn't realise they had a bar ?

Whereabouts ?

I think Lennon's bar has been taken over by aitkensopening soon

I drink white wine in the summer and red in the winter with a few exceptions.

Chablis is fantastic but can be over priced as are a lot to of French wines, mainly due to the production techniques used to make wine cheaply being illegal in France.

Like a nice Viognier or a gavi but you can pick up some decent Sauv Blanc's from Chile. I tend to avoid most Ozzie wines though.

Edited by Baz

I once ended up on the rooftop bar of the majestic in Barcelona, I like red wine I asked for one and they took it out of the fridge.....ever since then in warmer weather I always have a bottle in the fridge,although to be fair warm weather in neep city and warm weather in Barcelona are a bit different...

I once ended up on the rooftop bar of the majestic in Barcelona, I like red wine I asked for one and they took it out of the fridge.....ever since then in warmer weather I always have a bottle in the fridge,although to be fair warm weather in neep city and warm weather in Barcelona are a bit different...

Depends on the wine, Beaujolais for example should be served slightly chilled.