How Are Our Chances? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

I think Ireland have to go for it, Banjaxed. I think deep down O'Neill knows that if we get the win then it leaves him a huge mountain to climb, given their last two games of the campaign. I was impressed by their second half performance against Poland and if they produce that level of intensity then we have a real game on our hands.

I do feel that if we get control of the midfield areas then we will be very difficult to beat. I felt that's where the game was won at Parkhead given how well Broon and Mulgrew played in that area.

All told, it will a night of incredible tension, passion and excitement. But that's for Saturday. Next stop O Donoghues tomorrow to dump my kit and a pint of the black stuff................................

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the next couple off fixtures and IF we win next 2 games in Dublin and Georgia. (Far from easy but doable )worst we could be is 2nd with 3 games left. Top if Poland Germany draw. Now that would be good reading

We could also be fourth if we make an @rse of it.

I prefer your scenario though. ;)

Georgia lost at home to Ukraine in a friendly. Now the last I looked they (Ukraine) are below us in the rankings and in a comparable position with us in their qualifying campaign so I'd say that gives me more hope we will beat Georgia and not less. I also don't buy into people saying Georgia could have drawn the match against us because they had chances. On the chances count we had much more so it totally blows this talk that if they had takes their chances idea. If both sides had taken all of their chances it would have been a more comfortable win for Scotland.

It wasn't a home game it was played in Austria.

I always thought Georgia would get something from the top 4 but unfortunately the other 3 have been to Tbilisi and all won. I have had a bad feeling about that game in Georgia since the draw.

They are ranked in the 130s in the world and you would think we would have nothing to worry about. It is unfortunate for them that the pot 6 team is Gibraltar so they haven't picked up any ranking points at all in qualification.

Not much between the twa teams!!

What will favour Scotland is Ireland having to open up & come have a go, that's where I hope Scotland can exploit them and gut them like a fish........

Pace and putting to them sword is what I wish for

I just have this bad feeling that Ireland are going to pull off something on Saturday, they must win and that means they have nothing to lose.

If we are to get something from game, we need Fletcher and Naismith - and others - to take the chances we get - both have been guilty of spurning opportunities in recent Scotland games (albeit Fletch bagged a hat trick v Gibraltar) so they need to be clinical.

I'm very nervous about this game. Ireland looked very dangerous against Poland in the second half and could have, in my opinion, easily won that game with the amount of chances they had. The biggest threat they have is crossing, however I'm sure Strachan has drilled the boys hard about this in training during the week. I would love to see Richie start for us however, I can't think who he would swap for as our front three of Maloney, Anya and Naismith are very strong, so definitely an impact substitution around the 70th minute mark for me if the game remains 0-0. it will also be interesting to see if both Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown start as holding midfield players, however again would love to see Mulgrew playing along side Brown due to their Celtic connection as well as his height with the threat of the Irish crosses. He was also one of our best players against them at home. Going to be optimistic and say a 1-0 Scotland win, with our goal being scored at around the same time as we scored ours in the first game. Need to keep it tight in the first half and make sure we go into the break 0-0. If that happens, the game is ours for the taking, however if Ireland go ahead it will be very hard to come back from that, however we did do it against the world champions in their own back yard!!

Edited by MikeyGC

Ireland looked a massive threat from cross balls and set pieces against England. I think Mulgrew will play centre midfield but could effectively be a third centre half alongside Martin and Berra or Greer. Expect Whitaker to get the nod over Robertson too.

hey guys,

For any Scottish fans in Dublin this eve, you can go see St. Patricks V Limerick for free so long as you're wearing a kilt! The stadium is only 15 mins on the bus from city centre. For anyone who wants there fix of live football, free of charge.

http://www.the42.ie/st-patricks-athletic-richmond-park-scotland-fans-kilt-day-2157243-Jun2015

(if someone wants to repost this in a more appropriate thread, then be my guest)

Ireland have a knack of scoring late goals so if we can get a slender lead and hold onto it, it'll be a terrific boost for the rest of the campaign knowing we've stopped them doing that twice, when the other teams haven't.

Ireland looked a massive threat from cross balls and set pieces against England. I think Mulgrew will play centre midfield but could effectively be a third centre half alongside Martin and Berra or Greer. Expect Whitaker to get the nod over Robertson too.

Maybe Whittaker, but he could get slaughtered for pace by Coleman, and we don't want Anya in our own half all game. Whittaker is better in the air than Robertson though. Tricky.