Scotland Vs Qatar - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Vs Qatar - Match Thread

LewisEDI

Scotland controlled the game. We struggle at scoring or creating much up front, even against Qatar who were pretty poor, and a very good team would have gave them a hiding with the chances not just created by us, but their sloppy defending.

You can't really win in these games though. The main thing is no injury worries, and an above average performance. Unless we find a good number 10, I think we will struggle to beat teams well, but as long as you win, 1-0 is fine enough and we'd all take it in Dublin a week tomorrow.

Forsyth was excellent. Greer did nothing wrong either and I think that's 7 games 0 losses for him. A lucky charm for next week?

Forrest still goes down too much - hands up waving about, diving - just get on with it and try and beat your man rather than the Alan Hutton style of running in to them and rolling around. He has potential, but his final ball is usually pretty off. He's young and plenty of time. Good experience getting the caps.

Naismith missed a hatful of chances tonight. He's a good player though and works hard. Exellent at build up play between the attack and holding on to the ball.

All in all - it was a friendly that was uninspiring to watch. Another win for Strach, 1-0 to the Scotland seems to be our thing. And it'll most certainly do for noo. We are a half-decent side - who with a bit of luck and grit can definitely qualify for Championships. A couple of goal-scoring strikers and a key-locker (making up words now) for midfield, and we would be a very good team.

Let's see how next week goes. I'll take a 0-0.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All about opinions. I was at the game with a bunch of German guys who, to a man, agreed that our worst player was Forsyth. I thought our worst player was Ritchie (gave it away just about every time, never beat his man) but then again he scores and gets MOTM. Irrelevant really, only next week matters.

Im a bit bemused by the Forsyth comments, thought he was outstanding, was solid defensively and played 3 or 4 killer balls (Like the Naismith 1 on-1).

Yes, they couldn't believe how poor he was on the ball. It was interesting being at the game with them, they hate to see players give the ball away, unless it is in the final third. Different mentality. If I'm honest I'm bemused by the positive comments re Forsyth myself, but maybe I have been influenced by the guys I was with.

I agree with yer German mates in that i hate players giving the ball away more that anything. It's the only time i complain at players (aside from missing easy chances) when watching games.

But fullbacks surely should be given a bit of leeway though. They are the ones that have usually have to work the ball from defence to midfield, and often have to make a risky/long pass to the midfield/strikers.

I thought Forsyth was excellent. He's only ever played well for Scotland. I'd be happy with him taking Hutton's place (assuming Whittaker can play on the right?)

Adam also did well so hopefully that will quieten a few people down too.

I'd like to see him start in Dublin

Scotland controlled the game. We struggle at scoring or creating much up front, even against Qatar who were pretty poor, and a very good team would have gave them a hiding with the chances not just created by us, but their sloppy defending.

You can't really win in these games though. The main thing is no injury worries, and an above average performance. Unless we find a good number 10, I think we will struggle to beat teams well, but as long as you win, 1-0 is fine enough and we'd all take it in Dublin a week tomorrow.

Forsyth was excellent. Greer did nothing wrong either and I think that's 7 games 0 losses for him. A lucky charm for next week?

Forrest still goes down too much - hands up waving about, diving - just get on with it and try and beat your man rather than the Alan Hutton style of running in to them and rolling around. He has potential, but his final ball is usually pretty off. He's young and plenty of time. Good experience getting the caps.

Naismith missed a hatful of chances tonight. He's a good player though and works hard. Exellent at build up play between the attack and holding on to the ball.

All in all - it was a friendly that was uninspiring to watch. Another win for Strach, 1-0 to the Scotland seems to be our thing. And it'll most certainly do for noo. We are a half-decent side - who with a bit of luck and grit can definitely qualify for Championships. A couple of goal-scoring strikers and a key-locker (making up words now) for midfield, and we would be a very good team.

Let's see how next week goes. I'll take a 0-0.

Good post.

Typical performance for a friendly. Second half was pretty pedestrian. We wasted a few chances. I would always play Bannan in games where we are better than the opposition, his creativity is such an asset.

Last night won't have changed the Dublin line up in any way.

I'd imagine he'll go......

Marshall in goal.

Hutton Martin ? Whittaker

Brown ?

Anya Naismith Maloney

Fletcher

2 places I can't predict

I don't have Sky and will never pay money to the Murdochs for it.

So been waiting for brief highlights on BBC news...but still haven't seen anything.

Been several showing of circular football (!!!) in Belfast but sod all on Scotland/Qatar so far....

Can you feel the love tonight?

Forrest getting a bit of stick again but he was any better or worse than any other player. He's certainly better on the right but I think folk on here underestimate the importance of a player being able to take the ball 30 or 40 yards up the pitch.

Forrest won a few free-kicks, created chances and was involved in a lot of the good moves we did do.

Adam also did well so hopefully that will quieten a few people down too.

Forrest had an in and out type of game for me. I've certainly seemn a hell of a lot worse players play for Scotland. His pace and trickery is a nice wee thing to have but he simply must work on his final ball distribution which wasn't up to this standard. All in all though certainly showed enough not to be discarded like some people will want on here.

I really do wonder whether people here watch the match before commenting. Commentators said how well Forsyth played as have other posters on here. He played some cracking balls into the area and his defensive work was solid. I suggest those slagging him off should go and rewatch the match and rethink their comments. Ritchie as well did give the ball away (as did Broon, Fletcher and others) so lets not hone in on him for special praise or criticism but those saying he has no place in the side he made more of a contribution to than fan idol's Broon and Fletcher.

Thought Qatar were very poor, we should have won the game alot more conformable than 1-0.

Forrest was our best player IMO

Well remember they managed to get a draw against Northern Ireland so they can't be total crap. Chances were missed, woodwork hit and a goal disallowed and that with a largely second stream side so all in all not bad. Forrest was NOT our best player. Sure he showed good pace and managed to beat players but his final pass was sub-par for this level. He was okay but to say he was our best player when he offered no end product is stretching it way too far.

I really do wonder whether people here watch the match before commenting. Commentators said how well Forsyth played as have other posters on here. He played some cracking balls into the area and his defensive work was solid. I suggest those slagging him off should go and rewatch the match and rethink their comments. Ritchie as well did give the ball away (as did Broon, Fletcher and others) so lets not hone in on him for special praise or criticism but those saying he has no place in the side he made more of a contribution to than fan idol's Broon and Fletcher.

I was in the perfect position to observe Forsyth in the first half and I think Robertson is better in both attack and defense.He played in some good balls but actually got outpaced a couple of times too.I agree though nearly everyone gave the ball away!!!

I was in the perfect position to observe Forsyth in the first half and I think Robertson is better in both attack and defense.He played in some good balls but actually got outpaced a couple of times too.I agree though nearly everyone gave the ball away!!!

I was speaking in context here. He was a stand-out last night. Why? Well he certainly is probably our third choice left-back at present and I was pleasantly surprised about his ball distribution and he put in a very neat performance and on that showing I wouldn't be so nervous if we had to call on him again.