The T A's View On The Qatar Game - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The T A's View On The Qatar Game

Flure

I've seen several slopey shouldered responses here along the lines of "Sport and politics shouldn't mix" or "I'm going to support the Scotland team" or "Northern Ireland and USA played them and didn't protest" as a means to divert blame. Quite frankly it appears to show a complete lack of humanity and concern from people on here who don't normally come across that way. It shows that some folks' priorities puts football above human life.

That's quite an overreaction, I have to say.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon there are three types of 'tartan army responses'

1. Boycott

2. Attend and protest/sing/wave a card

3. Attend and say nowt because 'sport has nothing so with politics'

I'm in the first camp. Have no issues at all with those in the second. Utterly embarrased by those in the third.

If sport has nothing to do with politics why do horrible regines use it for legitimacy - aparthied SA and many more. Oh and try telling families of dead migrant workers that their plight has nothing do with sport.

Oh by the way the Qatar team isn't full of poor folk with nothing in life, it's full of professional footballers being given Qatari citizenship to play football and aren't good enough for their own country such as Brazil.

The Qatar team tomorrow night will probably have more players born in Qatar than we will have players born in Scotland.

1. Boycott

I'm in the first camp. Have no issues at all with those in the second. Utterly embarrased by those in the third.

If sport has nothing to do with politics why do horrible regines use it for legitimacy - aparthied SA and many more. Oh and try telling families of dead migrant workers that their plight has nothing do with sport.

4. Not arsed going,not a boycott,but better things to spend my money on.

The SFA shouldn't have taken the fixture. By doing so they've put the manager, team and fans in a difficult position. The players do need a run out before Dublin, given most haven't played in a couple of weeks but I wish it was against someone else.

I am going along, purely to support the team, but will take the opportunity to make some sort of protest.

1. Boycott

Seriously? You're embarrassed by people who can separate sport from politics?

1. Boycott

I'm number 3. I embarrass the wife when I am pished so I am not offended, just out to enjoy myself

I would have chosen a different a different team to play tomorrow night for various reasons but I will go to the game like I always do as I am there to support Scotland.

I cant wait until tomorrow night. I love going to Scotland games, i love the pre match build up, meeting friends before and after but the game is always the most important. I can honestly say there is no where i would rather be tomorrow night than at Easter Road.

I will be travelling down to the game tomorrow. I can't get to the game next week so i will be using tomorrows game to help send the team off to, hopefully, a great win against the Irish.

I mentioned the other day on twitter that i think it would be a good move for the SFA to hand over a sizable cheque (equivalent to the takings from the game) PUBLICLY to a Human rights charity. This would show that we/they have an eye on events in Qatar and are not going to let this game pass without comment.

Would also temper a lot of the negative press this match is receiving.

6. Blame the SFA and just get it over with.

We need a game before Ireland but for our association to pick this team after all the shit going on is madness. Money talks.

If you wanted to end the footballing year by the SFA (having started with the price hikes etc), you couldn't have picked a better example with this fixture to sum up what the $FA are all about these days.

Edited by fringo

With regard to the specific issue of the number of deaths of migrant workers, who are treated appallingly across the Gulf States, I'd recommend yesterday's edition of 'More or Less', which you can get on the Radio 4 website. One death caused by the preparations for a World Cup Is too many but the numbers put forward by the ITUC, and which have been repeated by many, are nonsense.

Edited by Pool Q

I didn't go because I was working, but even if I wasn't I wouldn't of gone.

This game was a game that was a disgrace and it shouldn't never of been arranged by the SFA.

It means we got put in a pot.

It means we back immoral countries with terrible human rights records who are corrupt and bribers and we condone the slave trade they are using to build all off their white elephants

We have risked the safety of our fans and players by hosting this game.

Any one of their fans or players or staff or blazers could of been a jihadi.

What if their centre half had pulled out a scimitar and beheaded Andrew Robertson?

Neil Doncaster is a and he should resign and resign now and forever.