Fifa - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the FA, who are far from blameless. The likes of the Sunday Times.

I'm glad the chickens are finally coming home to roost for FIFA, and I don't begrudge English media outlets for being cock-a-hoop that they've been pointing this out for some time and weren't really listened to.

This clearly grates with you. You'd far rather see a big dose of GIRFUY to the Ingerlish than FIFA get its long-overdue comeuppance.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the English tried to play the game in attempt to get 2018. They were doling out expensive watches as gifts and agreeing to friendlies in an attempt to get votes.

They still lost and ever since have spat the dummy.

FIFA getting their cummupence is fantastic. The reaction from the English media and FA is hilarious though.

Not the FA, who are far from blameless. The likes of the Sunday Times.

I'm glad the chickens are finally coming home to roost for FIFA, and I don't begrudge English media outlets for being cock-a-hoop that they've been pointing this out for some time and weren't really listened to.

This clearly grates with you. You'd far rather see a big dose of GIRFUY to the Ingerlish than FIFA get its long-overdue comeuppance.

I'd like to see a bit of both to be honest.

The FA's watch bribes, friendly promises and rolling out Princes Beckham and William were commendably legal but weren't enough. It must have been clear even then that Russia were quietly offering more. I see where their bitterness is coming from but acting like a spoiled child trying to take 'their ball' back every time FIFA are in the news does start to grate a bit.

Andrew Jennings the Panorama journo who has worked on the FIFA story talked about this yesterday. The BBC and other media have traditionally sent their sports journos to investigate corruption stories,. These guys are not qualified or inclined to ask the pertinent questions. Also they don''t want to lose their press passes to World Cups.

In an interview last night Jennings also said there is a bigger story still to come out.

Was that the sky interview?

I seen that. Jennings was brilliant. The presenter a couple of times had to state that the views of Jennings were his own and not of sky's. Legend.

Up until they announced the Russia and Qatar world cups, I think there was just a resigned acceptance that FIFA was corrupt.

I think that was a step too far for some, as well as the sour grapes from the English bid.

Now that sponsors are asking questions and threatening to pull the plug, it may lead to some change? After all, it's all about money, and without the sponsors, there's a lot less money.

Sponsors want to be associated with football, but FIFA as a brand is now toxic.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the English tried to play the game in attempt to get 2018. They were doling out expensive watches as gifts and agreeing to friendlies in an attempt to get votes.

They still lost and ever since have spat the dummy.

FIFA getting their cummupence is fantastic. The reaction from the English media and FA is hilarious though.

The English media has been highlighting the corruption in FIFA for years and doling out a 10k watch was silly granted but not bribery. FIFA set the FA up for a fall primarily i believe because the English media have been on their case for years and no doubt blatter and his cronies all had a good laugh so a little bit of schadenfraude at it all starting to unravel is perfectly permissable IMHO ;-)

The English media has been highlighting the corruption in FIFA for years and doling out a 10k watch was silly granted but not bribery. FIFA set the FA up for a fall primarily i believe because the English media have been on their case for years and no doubt blatter and his cronies all had a good laugh so a little bit of schadenfraude at it all starting to unravel is perfectly permissable IMHO ;-)

Yep

I would suggest that the majority of countries bidding for WCs will have conducted themselves in a manner during the bidding process which would be questionable. The extent of this behaviour would vary from one country to the next but all would have been involved in practices that were not wholly open and transparent. They would do this because they deemed other counties would be doing it, and that this behaviour would be deemed acceptable and perhaps encouraged by FIFA.

To now demand WCs be handed elsewhere because elements of FIFA have been exposed for practices that the majority of bidding countries have happily been party to is laughable. Russia and Qatar just played the system better. If the WCs are taken away from them then a) they would have a very strong case for compensation for the work already done on stadia (which perhaps FIFA would pay but ultimately fans globally would indirectly fill FIFAs coffers again) and B) Russia and Qatar would meticulously rake over the previous bids of the new counties appointed and would almost certainly find some aspect of corruption, no matter how small, that was carried out by someone directly or indirectly involved in the previous bid. As said, Russia, Qatar (and RSA) just played the corrupt system better than the other countries who bid at the time.

Blatter will get re-elected as he has already played the smart game. The vote is among football federations and Blatter has won over the lesser associations in far flung parts of the world by getting them more qualification spots at World Cups, awarded big tournaments to sub-continents and sucked up to those that he knows will vote for him. That is why Russia are backing Blatter because they got the World Cup.

If this vote was put out to football supporters Blatter would lose and in any real democratic organisation he'd be sacked or be forced to resign but sadly we all know it won't happen. Blatter is football's answer to Bernie Ecclestone in F1 - as bent as they come, involved in more dirty deals than the mafia but as secure as the Crown Jewels as he has built up yes men around him.

I would suggest that the majority of countries bidding for WCs will have conducted themselves in a manner during the bidding process which would be questionable. The extent of this behaviour would vary from one country to the next but all would have been involved in practices that were not wholly open and transparent. They would do this because they deemed other counties would be doing it, and that this behaviour would be deemed acceptable and perhaps encouraged by FIFA.

To now demand WCs be handed elsewhere because elements of FIFA have been exposed for practices that the majority of bidding countries have happily been party to is laughable. Russia and Qatar just played the system better. If the WCs are taken away from them then a) they would have a very strong case for compensation for the work already done on stadia (which perhaps FIFA would pay but ultimately fans globally would indirectly fill FIFAs coffers again) and B) Russia and Qatar would meticulously rake over the previous bids of the new counties appointed and would almost certainly find some aspect of corruption, no matter how small, that was carried out by someone directly or indirectly involved in the previous bid. As said, Russia, Qatar (and RSA) just played the corrupt system better than the other countries who bid at the time.

There is a difference between questionable and illegal. if they (Russia and Qatar) have taken part in wholesale illegal and corrupt activity to secure these World Cups the bidding process should be run again in a clear and transaparent manner. 200 FA's = 200 votes. As for compensation hopefully it will skint FIFA and perhaps they can start again.

There is a difference between questionable and illegal. if they (Russia and Qatar) have taken part in wholesale illegal and corrupt activity to secure these World Cups the bidding process should be run again in a clear and transaparent manner. 200 FA's = 200 votes. As for compensation hopefully it will skint FIFA and perhaps they can start again.

As I understand it proof in letters etc were found of corruption behind the South Africa bid. That being the case can anybody honestly here say that money wasn't involved in the money-rich Qatari's getting the World Cup and Russia also financially buying that award? I'd say definitely not. If people at FIFA have been corrupt once without getting caught they will be open to corruption again.. Similar to an old saying 'once a thief always a thief' the same applies here.

As I understand it proof in letters etc were found of corruption behind the South Africa bid. That being the case can anybody honestly here say that money wasn't involved in the money-rich Qatari's getting the World Cup and Russia also financially buying that award? I'd say definitely not. If people at FIFA have been corrupt once without getting caught they will be open to corruption again.. Similar to an old saying 'once a thief always a thief' the same applies here.

And it has to stop somewhere so it might as well be now. IF there has been illegal activity in awarding these tournaments the process should be re-run. It would at least make people think twice before paying/receiving a bribe going forward. FIFA stinks to high heaven. Personally I hope UEFA pull out and run the Euros every two years until FIFA sorts itself out. See how they crack on without the European TV money and im fairly certain sponsorship would be heaviily affected !!

Personally I hope UEFA pull out and run the Euros every two years until FIFA sorts itself out. See how they crack on without the European TV money and im fairly certain sponsorship would be heaviily affected !!

It might well come to that.

It might well come to that.

Be interesting to see what would happen when the south american on 200k a week in the EPL was told by man city "no you arent allowed to play at the World cup" we are no longer affiliated to FIFA !!

Andrew Jennings the Panorama journo who has worked on the FIFA story talked about this yesterday. The BBC and other media have traditionally sent their sports journos to investigate corruption stories,. These guys are not qualified or inclined to ask the pertinent questions. Also they don''t want to lose their press passes to World Cups.

In an interview last night Jennings also said there is a bigger story still to come out.

His book called foul, if he half of it is true is shocking, the English FA are not totally innocent either! Remember the friendly in Trinidad years ago?

Andrew Jennings Twitter timeline is interesting as well!

His book called foul, if he half of it is true is shocking, the English FA are not totally innocent either! Remember the friendly in Trinidad years ago?

Andrew Jennings Twitter timeline is interesting as well!

Read Foul a few years ago and just got angrier and angrier chapter by chapter. It's not just the alleged corruption, but it's things like the expenses they all claim and the non-disclosure of Blatter's salary. No-one has any idea what he's paid! Visa have got a cheek complaining about corruption in FIFA given the shenanigans that Jennings alleges went on when they outbid MasterCard to take over as credit card partner.

Jennings tweeted today that he's handed all his documents to the FBI and that Blatter is a target.

Blatter washing his hands of it and looking like he's throwing the minions to the dogs. Let's hope one of them squeals and Sepp gets his come-uppance.

http://news.sky.com/story/1492234/blatter-scandal-brings-shame-and-humiliation

If Warner is offered a deal to squeal to spare him 15 years in prison being the individual he is i can guarantee he will

Edited by Ally Bongo