The Political Landscape - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Still can't get my head round it, the whole of Glasgow gone, the whole city, and everything you can see from it, the Campsies, the West Highlands beyond, the Cathkin braes, the Clyde valley, Rutherglen, Hamilton, Motherwell, Wishaw,... all these places have been Labour seemingly forever, and all fell to the SNP. Still incredible.

:ok:

Unfortunately every day I go to work, I have to pass Ian Murray's puss emblazoned on the side of his shop :(

Is it true it was the most marginal (Labour) seat in Scotland? - and the only one where the Labour vote went up?

We still have a Tory Govt though. :angry:

In hindsight though its not a great surprise all things considering.

The Tories were in full Labour-mode before the referendum vote as in putting scarers on English voters. They were touting a vote for Labour as a wasted vote as the only way they'd get into power was going into a coalition with the SNP and that scared the $hit out of die-hard unionists. They also hoovered up Lib Dems seats as Lib Dem voters deserted them for the part they played in the coalition. Labour were like outcasts.

I think something (far, far) bigger has happened. That weird proto-revolutionary energy that existed around the Scottish referendum has now somehow 'jumped' medium and copied itself into the mainstream of the general election via the SNP... where does it go from here.

In hindsight though its not a great surprise all things considering.

The Tories were in full Labour-mode before the referendum vote as in putting scarers on English voters. They were touting a vote for Labour as a wasted vote as the only way they'd get into power was going into a coalition with the SNP and that scared the $hit out of die-hard unionists. They also hoovered up Lib Dems seats as Lib Dem voters deserted them for the part they played in the coalition. Labour were like outcasts.

I know and I don't disagree with you.

I'm just trying to keep my/our feet on the ground that despite an incredible and historical election with SNP results, we've ended up with another Tory Govt (with a majority now) who will shaft Scotland when they can.

Lots of positives in last 24 hrs but another 5 years of possible (probable) attrition on people in Scotland too. :worried::cry:

I think something (far, far) bigger has happened. That weird proto-revolutionary energy that existed around the Scottish referendum has now somehow 'jumped' medium and copied itself into the mainstream of the general election via the SNP... where does it go from here.

I have said it elsewhere today but I believe this dates back around 30 years. The Tories voters lost faith in their party through the Thatcher and now the Cameron years. They stitched Scotland up with so much and it has got to the stage when Scottish voters cannot trust them. The Labour poison started going in through the Blair years with their lies, scandals and wars so they too have lost faith and even more so for the way Labour were the ones scaremongering the most in the referendum vote. Scots have had enough of them both. The SNP are pursuing independence which a lot of Scots can associate with whilst Labour and Tories are so far out of touch and alienated from Scottish voters hence we have got the vote we got last night.

I have said it elsewhere today but I believe this dates back around 30 years. The Tories voters lost faith in their party through the Thatcher and now the Cameron years. They stitched Scotland up with so much and it has got to the stage when Scottish voters cannot trust them. The Labour poison started going in through the Blair years with their lies, scandals and wars so they too have lost faith and even more so for the way Labour were the ones scaremongering the most in the referendum vote. Scots have had enough of them both. The SNP are pursuing independence which a lot of Scots can associate with whilst Labour and Tories are so far out of touch and alienated from Scottish voters hence we have got the vote we got last night.

I agree.

The big question is where does the SNP go from here. The referendum thing was rather put to bed due to a pretty daft move by Salmond saying it was a once in a lifetime chance. Sorry but he shouldn't have come out with stuff like that as unionists will only hold Scots to that. Losing the referendum so narrowly as we did it was a massive own goal by Salmond.

Still can't get my head round it, the whole of Glasgow gone, the whole city, and everything you can see from it, the Campsies, the West Highlands beyond, the Cathkin braes, the Clyde valley, Rutherglen, Hamilton, Motherwell, Wishaw,... all these places have been Labour seemingly forever, and all fell to the SNP. Still incredible.

When are the local elections? Wonder if getting an SNP led council will help with the regeneration of parts of Glasgow - some good stuff has been done but so many brown sites, gaps and city centre buildings need investment. And GCC are plowing ahead with a huge city centre shopping mall extension - madness. As said, wonder if a change of cooncil will make any material change to regeneration and the provision of services.

When are the local elections? Wonder if getting an SNP led council will help with the regeneration of parts of Glasgow - some good stuff has been done but so many brown sites, gaps and city centre buildings need investment. And GCC are plowing ahead with a huge city centre shopping mall extension - madness. As said, wonder if a change of cooncil will make any material change to regeneration and the provision of services.

Some parts of Glasgow and Lanarkshire I mentioned have been very similarly challenged for many many years. I think some of those areas will be tough to turn around any time soon. It's difficult to see how an SNP majority in Westminster will make much difference directly. The electorate may somehow sense this too - the turnout on Glasgow North East was only 57%.

What could change is the sense that everyone will have to work harder for the electorate in all these areas from now on. The SNP will have to work very hard to pay more attention to those areas, and if Labour get back in (or hold on to councils) then they will be working hard too, from now on. So in that sense I think it could be a positive result, most specifically the Labour collapse, whether it was SNP or anyone else who had benefited.

:ok:

Unfortunately every day I go to work, I have to pass Ian Murray's puss emblazoned on the side of his shop :(

MP for Heart of Midlothian as I heard him (jokingly) referred to at a function in Colinton last night. A lot of his constituency is Jambo Central (Oxgangs, Firhill etc.) I think one factor in the vote for him might have been his role in the saving of Hearts.

MP for Heart of Midlothian as I heard him (jokingly) referred to at a function in Colinton last night. A lot of his constituency is Jambo Central (Oxgangs, Firhill etc.) I think one factor in the vote for him might have been his role in the saving of Hearts.

And the ridiculous twitter f&ck up by the SNP candidate. It beggars belief that stuff sometimes.

Ian Murray STILL bleating out the arrogant lie that voting SNP put the Tories in

Thats the last Labour MP in Scotland for you and why they will never recover

Edinburgh South deserve him

Obviously arithmetic is not one of Mr Murray's strong points given that even if Labour had returned 56 MP's they would still have been beaten. Does he not get it.

Perhaps should be pointing the finger of blame at his hopeless ex-leader for a shambolic campaign that led to their demise.