Lambert - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I used to watch a lot of Dortmund's games in the CL primarily as Lambert was there. This back in the days of Sky Analogue, when you couldn't get Scottish channels out with Scotland but you could get German satellite channels.

I watched that game, which was his last game and he got a fantastic reception from the Dortmund fans. Legend is probably stretching it, but he is highly regarded there, as was Murdo MacLeod.

A certain former SFA employee told me a great story about Murdo MacLeod. As she can speak fluent German, she would often act as a liaison whenever a Scottish team hosted a German one.

She was at Parkhead when Bayern Munich played Celtic in - I think - a testimonial. Alan McInally was there giving it the usual "when I used to play for Bayern in Munchen" guff and funnily enough was being largely ignored by all his great, great, good, good personal friends.

Murdo MacLeod, who I think was assistant manager at Celtic, came into the room and all the Bayern officials mobbed him, leaving big Dumbo looking somewhat forlorn.

There used to be footage available of Lambert being cheered by the Dortmund fans after his last game (the above is a still from it I think), with them chanting his name. It goes on for about 10 minutes and is really quite something.

There used to be footage available of Lambert being cheered by the Dortmund fans after his last game (the above is a still from it I think), with them chanting his name. It goes on for about 10 minutes and is really quite something.

Did BBC Scotland not do a tv special on Lambert round about 98-ish? Followed his career up to that point with it following the last days of his time at Dortmund, and just completing his move to Celtic?