Opposition Debate - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opposition Debate

The fact that a huge number of SNP MP's will give Scotland a loud and important voice at Westminster after May is so glaringly obvious that I simply cannot understand how anyone in Scotland could consider voting anything other than SNP.

With all due respect, you're in a little bubble where anything the SNP say goes unchallenged. There was absolutely nothing new offered from the SNP last night that sets them apart from other options. Expedience galore.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did :ok:

sure he did!!!!!

Survation poll - Scotland response:

Peformed "best":

Sturgeon - 71.6%

Miliband - 16.1%

Wood - 4.5%

Farage - 4.2%

Bennett - 3.5%

Performed "worst":

Farage - 59.4%

Miliband - 17.3%

Wood - 15.5%

Bennett - 6.1%

Sturgeon - 1.8%

Net result:

Sturgeon +69.8%

Miliband -1.2%

Bennett -2.6%

Wood -11.0%

Farage -55.2%

I did. I saw nothing new from Sturgeon, the usual SNP expedience.

"We pure support rent caps" - we just vote against them when it comes up.

"We're pure against Trident renewal" - But NATO are braw.

Trident and NATO are two totally different things. Most NATO members don't have nuclear weapons.

J

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the SNP are right to put independence to the side for now. The kind of exposure Sturgeon is enjoying right now in UK politics is an absolutely massive asset in shoring up SNP support in Scotland and will be helping greatly to keep Scottish Labour at bay. The broadcasters and opposition parties must be absolutely raging at the platform Sturgeon is getting. I think we'd see a pretty big regression in SNP (and increase in Labour/LibDem) support if we were watching a repeat of the debates from the last General Election, but so soon after the referendum and surge in SNP membership, the General Election has been an absolute gift.

The SNP priority for the next couple of years should be to absolutely destroy Scottish Labour. The best thing that could happen in Scotland is for the Labour grip on power to be indefinitely broken. Given how ingrained they were, that is no mean feat and there is still some way to go, but the SNP are in a fantastic position to become the prominent party in all elections for the next 5-10 years if they continue to turn the screw. They do that, and govern well, rather than campaigning for independence explicitly and directly, a natural support for an independent Scotland will grow. One of the biggest fault lines will be a fractured and broken Labour party.

As Rossy said, Salmond stepping aside for Sturgeon could not have happened at a batter time. I genuinely believe Salmond would not have performed any better than Sturgeon and she's not the tainted or polarising like Salmond was. Huge opportunity for Sturgeon and the SNP in the next year or two.

Trident and NATO are two totally different things. Most NATO members don't have nuclear weapons.

J

Support for membership for NATO is the main thing that has stopped me becoming a member of the SNP. It's an unacceptable and contradictory position, regardless of how you want to spin it.

Support for membership for NATO is the main thing that has stopped me becoming a member of the SNP. It's an unacceptable and contradictory position, regardless of how you want to spin it.

It's also one of the main reasons I left the party. Inexcusable position to take, NATO is a relic.

that's them. You spelt Labour wrong... Or Soutar National Party, one of the two :)

Well done your almost half way to completing the set :ok:

No spelling mistake ,just checked its been that way for the past 32 years i'm afraid

Edited by Wine bibber

With all due respect, you're in a little bubble where anything the SNP say goes unchallenged. There was absolutely nothing new offered from the SNP last night that sets them apart from other options. Expedience galore.

I don't think he's suggesting that the SNP offered "anything new last night".

NATO membership terms are set by all current members. Including rUK. I'm sure you can see where the problem would lie.

All I'm saying is you can be pro NATO and anti Nuclear weapons you seem to think the two are linked. I.e. No nuclear weapons then you get kicked out of or not let into NATO.

Talk to the citizens of Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, Lithuania, etc. All Nuclear free countries.

J

All I'm saying is you can be pro NATO and anti Nuclear weapons you seem to think the two are linked. I.e. No nuclear weapons then you get kicked out of or not let into NATO.

Talk to the citizens of Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, Lithuania, etc. All Nuclear free countries.

J

It's debatable whether or not Germany can be considered nuclear-free, they host some of the USA's nukes. Edited by Jie Bie

J

If Scotland still hosts Trident upon independence, the current NATO members will not allow membership if Scotland wants it removed. See Greece-Macedonia for just how petty they are.

Pro NATO anti Nuclear is not compatible when you have working facilities, no matter how much you hum and haw over it.

If Scotland still hosts Trident upon independence, the current NATO members will not allow membership if Scotland wants it removed. See Greece-Macedonia for just how petty they are.

Pro NATO anti Nuclear is not compatible when you have working facilities, no matter how much you hum and haw over it.

Is the Greece v Macedonia thing not just a Greece issue?

(ie them acting like tw@s, it's a name FFS!)

I really wouldn't see an iScotland not being allowed into NATO (nuclear armed or not).

We are the Southern flank of the Greenland-Iceland-Scotland gap.

Anyway, this is all conjecture as 55% won the day.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the SNP are right to put independence to the side for now. The kind of exposure Sturgeon is enjoying right now in UK politics is an absolutely massive asset in shoring up SNP support in Scotland and will be helping greatly to keep Scottish Labour at bay. The broadcasters and opposition parties must be absolutely raging at the platform Sturgeon is getting. I think we'd see a pretty big regression in SNP (and increase in Labour/LibDem) support if we were watching a repeat of the debates from the last General Election, but so soon after the referendum and surge in SNP membership, the General Election has been an absolute gift.

The SNP priority for the next couple of years should be to absolutely destroy Scottish Labour. The best thing that could happen in Scotland is for the Labour grip on power to be indefinitely broken. Given how ingrained they were, that is no mean feat and there is still some way to go, but the SNP are in a fantastic position to become the prominent party in all elections for the next 5-10 years if they continue to turn the screw. They do that, and govern well, rather than campaigning for independence explicitly and directly, a natural support for an independent Scotland will grow. One of the biggest fault lines will be a fractured and broken Labour party.

As Rossy said, Salmond stepping aside for Sturgeon could not have happened at a batter time. I genuinely believe Salmond would not have performed any better than Sturgeon and she's not the tainted or polarising like Salmond was. Huge opportunity for Sturgeon and the SNP in the next year or two.

Good post

They offer scotland a strong voice in westminster which the other parties certainly dont. why anyone would still blindly vote labour while their past governments have done absolutely nothing to address many of the serious issues which affect scotland is beyond me.

it really is the "shut up and vote labour" attitude. quite honestly its shows a complete lack of imagination and willingness to embrace change. Noone knows if the SNP will deliver on their promises if we vote heavily in their favour this time, but FFS I am willing to give them a try. If they dont we can vote them out next time. to stick to labour given their appalling track record and the current labour party incumbents is just bizarre.

Haven't heard an explanation on that although he did want to participate apparently...

Cameron said no, cos he (Clegg) is in Govt, and this was an Oppositions debate. Fair cop methinx

The SNP's policy IS to destroy Scottish Labour.