Pyramid Play- Offs In The Balance - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pyramid Play- Offs In The Balance

What if they don't want it either?

Also what if the lowland league side really want it, have everything in place, win their league and then lose the play off to a side that finished 2nd or 3rd in the highland league (or vice versa).

Think there will be a fair share of clubs who want this (Spartans and Edinburgh City?) and sure a number of clubs not involved in the league also want it (Is it not in Clydebank constitution that the aim for the club is to get back to the level where it left off from?)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently a lot of the players play at that level now because they couldnt get time off work/be arsed travelling when they played at a higher level.

If it doesn't make financial sense,then it's a sense le stance to take I suppose.

Say they'll still give it their all to get promoted,but would probably lose half a team if they did.

They're quite happy to spend a fortune on ex-senior pros to win the Highland League, but aren't interested in going up into a league that they might not win ?

Hmmmmm.

They're quite happy to spend a fortune on ex-senior pros to win the Highland League, but aren't interested in going up into a league that they might not win ?

Hmmmmm.

Sounds similar to another team we sometimes hear about.

I think the "border line" for the North-South conference split is just south of Birmingham (this actually surprised me, as I always assumed it would have been Manchester area).... sure one year a club who played about 35 miles north of the "border" were told they would be getting moved into the Conference south after it was mostly Northern clubs who got demoted from the Conference

As someone who supports a club from the south midlands that spent a lot of time in Conference North, you would keep a keen eye on who was going to get promoted or relegated into CN as there was always a chance you would get shifted into Conference South if too many northern teams were joining the league. Conference North was seen as a better league as the teams tended to be traditional teams from small towns rather than new teams in new stadiums in London suburbs.

The problem is that the dividing line between the CN and CS has moved south over the years. There are currently teams from Oxford and Lowestoft (Suffolk!) in CN. The line has moved south, perhaps because of money but mostly because of population.

Whilst I am a big supporter of a pyramid in Scotland, there is a danger that a similar thing could happen here. We could end up with more clubs from Glasgow and Edinburgh in the SPFL at the expense of the small town teams like Montrose or Berwick and that the Highland/Lowland league divide gets blurred.

Does uni team have to be current students?

I'd suppose that would be a uni rule, but I'd think they would.

I'm sure glasgow uni players move on to another team, ("westys", I dont actually know what that's short for?) don't think that's an official thing though, probably just a tradition.

I'd suppose that would be a uni rule, but I'd think they would.

I'm sure glasgow uni players move on to another team, ("westys", I dont actually know what that's short for?) don't think that's an official thing though, probably just a tradition.

Westys = westerlands. Team in the cally league. Shite park and worse changing facilities.

Last night Berwick played Elgin, there needs to be regionalisation in the bottom two leagues.

What kind of idiot decides to plant such a fixture in the calendar?

The people running (and I use the term very loosely) scottish football really do need to take a long hard look at themselves.

That is just mental.

At the moment it would be the winner of Brora Rangers v Edinburgh City who would play Montrose.Brora are not too sure if they want to go up as it would cost them more money that they would make. If Montrose were to lose and go down they would simply fold. I can't really see the Mo losing to any of those two teams to be honest. The other factor is the ground criteria and if the other teams would pass it.

Last time I spoke to someone involved with a Div 1/2 club they reckoned a lot of clubs were against regionalisation. Think it was the feeling that they felt it was a step too close to eventually being outside the SFL now SPFL altogether.

Seems a no brainer to me.

Apparently a lot of them like the 'prestige' of being a national football club.

At the moment it would be the winner of Brora Rangers v Edinburgh City who would play Montrose.Brora are not too sure if they want to go up as it would cost them more money that they would make. If Montrose were to lose and go down they would simply fold. I can't really see the Mo losing to any of those two teams to be honest. The other factor is the ground criteria and if the other teams would pass it.

It already costs Brora (or their sugar Daddy) more than they make. The team is full of ex Caley and County players. Think quite a few have "jobs" with CR Evans (Sponsor/owner).

It already costs Brora (or their sugar Daddy) more than they make. The team is full of ex Caley and County players. Think quite a few have "jobs" with CR Evans (Sponsor/owner).

This was similar to when Montrose won promotion to Div 1 when we had Rougvie as manager.Some of the best players worked for the chairman and Keith Milne sponsor Bon Accord Glass

John Young ( Brora Chairman) is a decent guy, and I can see their point. At the moment, they will get a fair number of travelling supporters to home games, and take a few with them, but in the SPL, crowds and money will definitely drop. Also travelling will be onerous, as Brora is about 70 miles north of Inv'ss.

John Young is a very decent guy !

He was just being honest when voicing his opinion on wether Brora Rangers would flourish in the SFL2

In all honesty & I'm sure most HFL fans would agree that the remoteness of Brora Wick etc is so far away that travel & money does come

Into it!

Regionalisation below the championship with a North and South League may work possibly?

If and it's an IF, Brora win play-offs and join SFL2 then Montrose drop down to the Highland League.

Next season say Wick Academy win the HFL go through the play-offs & go up

Following season Cove Rangers win HFL go through the play-offs & go up

In theory the HFL could lose teams to the SFL & say Annan Berwick Clyde all fell through the trap door they couldn't possibly go into the HFL could they?

The Lowland League would accommodate them making that a bigger League with the HFL shrinking!

Stuart Regan & his cronies ain't heading up to The Dudgeon this weekend to see Brora Rangers being crowned HFL champions yet he makes the short journey across to Meadowbank to see Edinburgh City being crowned Champs?!

The whole thing reeks & not been thought through, the pyramid system imo is/was designed to get the likes of Spartans or Edinburgh City into the SFL

Anyway Brora Rangers are a team

of Winners & ex Pro's so they will go out to win every game, will be interesting to see how all this plays out .....