Jordan Rhodes Surely Must Get A Call Up? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jordan Rhodes Surely Must Get A Call Up?

@neaver82

too simplstic thinking?? As posted earlier thats just my opinion on it. 1 goal in 18 for Scotland for a forward is hellish, lets say 4 assists in all isnt any better.

I think we need to agree to disagree

Sorry if I offended however as I said could you see Rhodes setting up Anya for that goal in Germany and his other assist can't remember the game (Georgia?) - that just isn't Rhodes game. It isn't his game to hold the ball up for supporting midfielders. That is the key here as that is the foundation of Strachan's game plan. Fletcher fits into it and contributes whereas I couldn't see Rhodes doing that. I don't think Strachan could and neither does the Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As folk have said he is good for a plan b option. Yes he might not fit into the system we normally play but if we are chasing a goal he is the type you could stick up front with Fletch and probable score for us. I think it could be a very good partnership with him and Fletch

B end replying................

Have you ever watched him this season ?

I have I, end your silly question !!!!

yes. and even in a season where he hasn't been as prolific he has still scored twice as many as any of our other strikers. you still haven't explained your reasons for your initial bizarre response? Edited by @neaver82

The thing is, I don't buy into the 'he doesn't fit the system' thing.

Well it seems that Strachan and the Blackburn manager would disagree with you as both refuse to play him in a single striker role.

What you have to take into account is that Strachan has laid the foundations of our fine form on the well-drilled and settled look to the side which revolves around a single striker up front. In that case there is no place for Rhodes in the starting line-up so therefore he'd be getting named in the squad on the premise of keeping him for a time when we switch to two strikers up front - not something we have done in a long time so negates the need for including him even more.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Rhodes would be perfect for Gibraltar, in my opinion. In a Kris Boyd-ish kind of way, he seems to be the kind of striker who would be devastating against particularly weak teams.

griffiths for me, he would be firing them in from anywhere, rhodes is just a poacher

We have never played a team as weak as Gibraltar before though

That is true but what is the point of bringing Rhodes in, rejigging the whole team set-up to play two strikers just to accommodate him for one game? After all it is a game we should win regardless of formation. For the rest of the campaign we would go back to the tried and trusted one striker up front in any case dispensing the need for Rhodes.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if he is called up as he has shown form lately but I don't believe we should be tinkering with a winning formula just to accommodate him in the side. The big weak area of our squad is a lack of strength in depth in goalscoring strikers at international level. Now at the moment Naismith is definite starter, Fletcher is second in the pecking order as he has set up goals for us (next best to scoring) and then after that we have a number of players vying for the other spots up front. The form men and in the goals are in this order Jordan Rhodes, Tony Watt and Leigh Griffiths. However, Russell and May did decently against England so must be considered in the running. Martin (for me) has had enough chances of late but you feel Strachan will see it differently. We shall see.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if he is called up as he has shown form lately but I don't believe we should be tinkering with a winning formula just to accommodate him in the side. The big weak area of our squad is a lack of strength in depth in goalscoring strikers at international level. Now at the moment Naismith is definite starter, Fletcher is second in the pecking order as he has set up goals for us (next best to scoring) and then after that we have a number of players vying for the other spots up front. The form men and in the goals are in this order Jordan Rhodes, Tony Watt and Leigh Griffiths. However, Russell and May did decently against England so must be considered in the running. Martin (for me) has had enough chances of late but you feel Strachan will see it differently. We shall see.

Agree totally with the bolded bit. I think Strachan has the team playing in a formation he, and they, are comfortable with, irrespective of the opposition. He gets little time as it is with the squad so why feck about with it in a game which will prove nothing. Surely better for the players to get another game using his tactics under their belts. The beauty of the current set up is its adaptable based on the opposition...we will have more players in and around attacking areas for this game than we will v say Germany, it gives the players a chance to play the preferred formation under different circumstances ie attacking outright rather than countering.

We are going to beat Gibraltar whether Rhodes is there or not. Him scoring 2 or 3 goals v them proves nothing in terms of his actual suitability v stronger nations. I would rather stick with the players/squad that have got us to where we are at that moment rather than pull in someone just to possibly stick a couple of more goals on their CV.

We are going to beat Gibraltar whether Rhodes is there or not. Him scoring 2 or 3 goals v them proves nothing in terms of his actual suitability v stronger nations. I would rather stick with the players/squad that have got us to where we are at that moment rather than pull in someone just to possibly stick a couple of more goals on their CV.

This.

I'd have Rhodes in the squad, useful alternative from the bench if we need a goal but no point Strachan calling him up for this game alone

Agree totally with the bolded bit. I think Strachan has the team playing in a formation he, and they, are comfortable with, irrespective of the opposition. He gets little time as it is with the squad so why feck about with it in a game which will prove nothing. Surely better for the players to get another game using his tactics under their belts. The beauty of the current set up is its adaptable based on the opposition...we will have more players in and around attacking areas for this game than we will v say Germany, it gives the players a chance to play the preferred formation under different circumstances ie attacking outright rather than countering.

No, he should be pulled in up score goals, then keep his place in the squad

No, he should be pulled in up score goals, then keep his place in the squad

For why? You could make the same case for any of the other strikers in waiting? So why not just do the same for them and it would be more beneficial as they can play lone striker whilst Rhodes can't so where, in future, would he come in use.

Edited by Caledonian Craig