Scotland Players In Action - Page 63 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone like Ashley Cole (who is mentioned in the comments) committed far worse and far more fouls than Hutton. In fact I would say Gerrard has as well. But you wouldn't see an article like this on them. Same with divers (again Gerard or Rooney would never be referenced) - they have to be foreign or non English in order to justify an article.

Bannan is fantastic. Just needs to find the right club and the right manager.

God I really like you. :-))

He played good games for Villa and for Scotland. I would suggest if he went to Celtic he would play good games for them also - he therefore has a few levels.

None of which are at the top level.

He's a bottom half of the championship player at best.

Don't agree. As others have said he's played well at a higher level. Consistency has been an issues, not helped by managerial changes. He could still prove to be a good player for us.

You've got it one, his big problem is a lack of consistency. He has a couple of good games, hints at what he could be, then has a real run of stinkers. I don't think though that the changes in management are the problem though. If you look at it, when he moves clubs or they change the manager, he generally gets a chance of a few games then gets dropped, either to the bench or completely. But a lot of managers have taken a look at him and gone "Nah, not really".

Maybe Bolton could be a good move for him long term. I fancy Lennon to do well there and might have them challenging for a play off spot next season. I don't see him going back to Palace. I suspect Pardew will want to get his own players in in the summer.

I'd say though that - at 25 - this could be a really crucial time for Bannan, if it doesn't work out for him at Bolton, it's hard to see where it will happen.

You've got it one, his big problem is a lack of consistency. He has a couple of good games, hints at what he could be, then has a real run of stinkers. I don't think though that the changes in management are the problem though. If you look at it, when he moves clubs or they change the manager, he generally gets a chance of a few games then gets dropped, either to the bench or completely. But a lot of managers have taken a look at him and gone "Nah, not really".

Maybe Bolton could be a good move for him long term. I fancy Lennon to do well there and might have them challenging for a play off spot next season. I don't see him going back to Palace. I suspect Pardew will want to get his own players in in the summer.

I'd say though that - at 25 - this could be a really crucial time for Bannan, if it doesn't work out for him at Bolton, it's hard to see where it will happen.

I don't believe his level drops. Managers at the clubs he's been at are worried about relegation and are too scared to play a player of his size when the heat is on. His best position is central midfield and he needs to find a club where his talent is best utilised.

@aaid . and I mean this sincerely,piease name three players in the Scotland squad who you consider to be top class.

Depends on your definition of top class I suppose.

If, for arguments sake, you look at players who could play for top teams in the top leagues in Europe, then I'd say unfortunately none of them are.

Pre illness, when he was at his best, then you could make a case for Darren Fletcher but not any more.

We've a fair chunk of players who are capable of - and are - playing in the top leagues, primarily the EPL, but none are playing for the top clubs.

Of current players, Steven Naismith is probably the one playing consistently well at the highest level.

Personally, I'd cut my losses with Bannan and give his place in the squad to someone like Ryan Gauld who is younger and has the potential to be a much much better player.

He's got very good technical ability, great range of passing and is hard working. Main criticism of him is that he can sometimes be too ambitious in playing a final ball but I would rather have that than endless side way passes. A favourite of Strachan and easy to see why.

Played some great passes last night and also couple of great shots.But I agree with the honest criticism it's about his last chance.

Played some great passes last night and also couple of great shots.But I agree with the honest criticism it's about his last chance.

I never realised he was as old as 25. He really has achieved so little in that space of time.

Certainly not writing him off. Snodgrass and Anya both turned into top players around that age. As did Mulgrew. GMS is 24 and looks to be on the verge of fulfilling his potential.

So many people have said it, but he really isn't suited to British football.

However, with the emergence of so many other high quality youngsters, he's going to struggle to be a regular starter for us if he isn't already.

None of which are at the top level.

He's a bottom half of the championship player at best.

Disagree with this. I think his problem has been finding a position and getting a regular game.

He's not a winger, and no-one has played him in the middle because of his size.

It seems Lennon has given him a chance in the middle of midfield and he's been brilliant.

Disagree with this. I think his problem has been finding a position and getting a regular game.

It seems Lennon has given him a chance in the middle of midfield and he's been brilliant.

:ok::ok::ok:

It isn't because of his size that people haven't played him in the middle, it's because he's not good enough at the highest level.

If he has been brilliant for Bolton, that will be down to him playing at a lower level.

It's not rocket science.

It isn't because of his size that people haven't played him in the middle, it's because he's not good enough at the highest level.

If he has been brilliant for Bolton, that will be down to him playing at a lower level.

It's not rocket science.

This is sense.

Also don't like it when he's right mid and can't swing a ball in with his right foot

Phil Bardsley and Charlie Adam start for Stoke, Steven Naismith starts for Everton

Matt Phillips starts for QPR

Scott Arfield and George Boyd start for Burnley

Liam Cooper starts for Leeds, Christophe Berra starts for Ipswich

Paul Caddis and Andrew Shinnie start for Birmingham

Liam Palmer starts for Sheffield Wednesday. Stevie May and Chris Maguire on the bench. Jordan Rhodes starts for Blackburn, Craig Conway and Tom Cairney on the bench

Russell Martin, Steven Whittaker and Graham Dorrans start for Norwich

Craig Gordon, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Brown, Gary Mackay-Steven and Leigh Griffiths start for Celtic. James Forrest and Liam Henderson on the bench.

Edited by KennethV

It's not rocket science.

What in your opinion is the highest level? Bolton are no different from 10 or so clubs in the English Premier league.......Bannan is currently playing in a favoured position consistently by a manager who rates him and trusts him. As you say it is not rocket science - he could easily be doing that for the likes of Everton, Stoke, Celtic or WBA. But we could be here all night............

What in your opinion is the highest level? Bolton are no different from 10 or so clubs in the English Premier league.......Bannan is currently playing in a favoured position consistently by a manager who rates him and trusts him. As you say it is not rocket science - he could easily be doing that for the likes of Everton, Stoke, Celtic or WBA. But we could be here all night............

All the teams you named (apart from Celtic) are a step above Aston Villa - where he couldn't make the grade

Are you seriously suggesting that Bannan could shift Mirallas or Barkley at Everton, Ireland or N'Zonzi at Stoke or Sessegnon or even Morrison at the Albion?

As for Bolton being the same as around 10 or so clubs in the EPL, have you looked at their record in the last couple of years of so?

As I said, I think Lennon will do well there but they've been a basket case since they were relegated.