Scotland Players In Action - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

I'm

I'm not sure either but he shouldn't be playing at left back & he seems to be in & out at Watford.

Maybe because he's not that good. I know he's become a bit of a cult hero for us but he's a fairly limited player with plenty of pace and a fantastic work ethic.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watt could have been an O'Connor or Riordan. Bad attitude etc but with bags of ability.

Finally we have a Scottish footballer who appears to be back from the brink of obscurity, so well done him.

Yeah hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and doesn't end up like riordan or

O'connor

Maybe because he's not that good. I know he's become a bit of a cult hero for us but he's a fairly limited player with plenty of pace and a fantastic work ethic.

Somewhat agree!

Type of player that if you stick him in against a Macedonia, Georgia, mid'ish-to-lowere standard of team etc.... he will run the show and look amazing (his performance in Skopje is one of the best individual performance I have seen in a long time)..... but stick him in against a decent team and he will struggle (Croatia he was in their right backs pocket all night).

But saying that, he will keep ploughing away....using Croatia as a example, Strachan could very easily have taken him off midway, yet stuck by him and the one time he did manage to beat his marker, he was hacked down for the penalty..... but at the same time, I think the Croatians were impressed with his performance in Skopje also, as they did at times seem to have two markers on him).

Anya is a vital part of our team.I think i'm right in saying he scored not a bad goal against the world champions.No winger goes past the full back every time he tries.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is now firmly one of the first names on the team sheet.... I just mean there is games he will shine in, and games he will be totally anonymous in (at the moment though these have been mainly friendlies).... Thankfully though the games he shines in totally out number the games he is anonymous in.

I also feel that Matt Philips loss was Anya gain.... I have always suspected that Strachan had one eye on Phillips being in that position, but he was out with injury, and Anya was given the chance to take that place and made it firmly his.... plus I think Strachan is somewhat of a old romantic (for the want of a better word) and see's a lot of himself in Anya (I think Burke and Bannan also fall somewhat into this category also) and that is why he is one of his favorites.

It's only Gibraltar and NI, let's get him in and scoring early in his career.

Absolutely ! We're not exactly blessed with other prolific goal scoring forwards, at the moment. Scoring goals is a confidence thing so if Watt's in form, at the moment (and he certainly seems to be), get him in the squad for these upcoming games. I heard Gordon Strachan, on off the ball on Saturday, saying that most teams are so well organised defensively now, that he looks for players that can go passed people. Given that Watt has pace and is two footed, get him in and see what he can do. Having said all that, I understand that, previously, he has a bad attitude, although he may have 'matured' a bit and got his attitude sorted out.

Absolutely ! We're not exactly blessed with other prolific goal scoring forwards, at the moment. Scoring goals is a confidence thing so if Watt's in form, at the moment (and he certainly seems to be), get him in the squad for these upcoming games. I heard Gordon Strachan, on off the ball on Saturday, saying that most teams are so well organised defensively now, that he looks for players that can go passed people. Given that Watt has pace and is two footed, get him in and see what he can do. Having said all that, I understand that, previously, he has a bad attitude, although he may have 'matured' a bit and got his attitude sorted out.

Agreed

Anya is a vital part of our team.I think i'm right in saying he scored not a bad goal against the world champions.No winger goes past the full back every time he tries.

I think he is an important player but it's more to do with our lack of alternatives than Anya being a top draw player that should be looking to leave Watford for the Premier League.

What you are saying is absolutely true, but the problems of the past was that he had an inflated ego and his attitude went out the window. I seem to remember after his first Scotland call up (at Celtic) was when the problems manifested. Again, at Lierse, when the fans were chanting his name, he had the same issues.

Do we want to take the risk of calling him up so soon and having the same problem for, lets face it, games we won't really need him?

To be honest I don't see much difference between bottom half of EPL or top of SPFL and Eng Championship.We have no players at Chesea,Man City etc.What we have are a lot of good hardworking players doing a good job.

No disrespect to the rest of the SPFL but Celtic are a level above. I'm thrilled that Deila is playing so many young Scots. Adding in the European experience they'll get from that and i'd say playing for Celtic is worth more than any championship team and the bottom half of the EPL.

But I get your point, it's more about ability and effort. It doesn't matter if someone plays for Brentford, Celtic or Sunderland. The best player should play.

Having a player at Real Madrid and Sporting Lisbon would be pretty tasty though

What you are saying is absolutely true, but the problems of the past was that he had an inflated ego and his attitude went out the window. I seem to remember after his first Scotland call up (at Celtic) was when the problems manifested. Again, at Lierse, when the fans were chanting his name, he had the same issues.

Do we want to take the risk of calling him up so soon and having the same problem for, lets face it, games we won't really need him?

That's like never wanting to move your car because you've found such a good parking space.

That's like never wanting to move your car because you've found such a good parking space.

I also think that an international in the next 2-3 weeks after only being in form for 2-3 weeks before that is far too soon. Let him keep working hard and we can reward him either against Ireland or later. No point in rushing him back in. It's not like we are in crisis.

Plus I'd much rather see Fletcher and Naismith grab a couple of goals to boost their numbers (and confidence) in this double header.

I also think that an international in the next 2-3 weeks after only being in form for 2-3 weeks before that is far too soon. Let him keep working hard and we can reward him either against Ireland or later. No point in rushing him back in. It's not like we are in crisis.

Plus I'd much rather see Fletcher and Naismith grab a couple of goals to boost their numbers (and confidence) in this double header.

It's a tricky one. Strikers in form should really be at the forefront - Strikers not scoring or even playing arguably shouldn't be called up at all

Don't forget, Watt is eligible for Ireland...

Don't forget, Watt is eligible for Ireland...

True. We don't want a repeat of the McGeady/McCarthy debacle.

It would be incredibly painful if he ended up playing for Ireland against us and ended up being the cause of our demise.

But then we shouldn't feel like we are being held at ransom...

Screw it, if he is scoring and playing right up to the double header, then lets call him up and take the risk that he hasn't matured. He is probably our most naturally gifted centre forward breaking through right now.

getting Watt capped against Gibraltar wouldn't be such a bad idea.

As long as Strachan sits him down and makes it very clear that it in no way guarantees him a place in future squads and he needs to keep working hard.

I guess that's a bit patronising. But I trust Strachan's judgement in the matter.

Just to bring it back down to earth.. yes, 2 good goals the other day by Watt, but he's only scored in 2 of his 10 Charlton appearances. Hardly pulling up tree's just yet and we have other strikers not getting picked who are in much better form.

I hope he doesn't get a call up, he doesn't deserve it, yet. Hopefully he will at some point, but right now it's a no.

Just to bring it back down to earth.. yes, 2 good goals the other day by Watt, but he's only scored in 2 of his 10 Charlton appearances. Hardly pulling up tree's just yet and we have other strikers not getting picked who are in much better form.

I hope he doesn't get a call up, he doesn't deserve it, yet. Hopefully he will at some point, but right now it's a no.

Apparently he had been playing superbly before his 2 goals at the weekend (according to the folk on the Charlton forum) He'd been creating a lot of chances as well as scoring.

Adding goals to those performances is why the fans are getting so excited. Plus, probably half of those 10 appearances have been from the bench, so not fair to use that as a guide.

I'd actually say Griffiths is the only striker in better form, if you don't include Naismith.