Scotland Players In Action - Page 176 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/02/2016 at 1:25 PM, giblet said:

Cairney is on fire at Fulham, must be due a call up to first team.

People keep going in about him but has he ever actually declared for us?

I'm sure you know that youth level is not binding but Strachan does not seem to have shown an interest so far so there must be some reasons why he is not getting a look in..

Edited by Third Lanark
response to scotlad

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

People keep going in about him but has he ever actually declared for us?

I'm sure you know that youth level is not binding but Strachan does not seem to have shown an interest so far so there must be some reasons why he is not getting a look in..

Whilst your right that playing for a country at youth level is non-binding, Cairney is still technically declared for Scotland. There's nothing at all to suggest he's not interested.

I'd say it's more down to Strachan either being unaware of Cairney's nationality or not wanting to drop anyone from the squad to make room for him. 

Common sense also suggests it's highly unlikely that Roy Hodgson is considering any Fulham players for England at the moment or in the near future, so I don't think we have to worry about Cairney playing for England.

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Probably nothing sinister than him not thinking he's been good enough up to this point.

13 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cairney scores again (v Leeds).  He has got to be included next month. 

I went to the Fulham - Reading game earlier in the season and Cairney was incredibly unremarkable.

McCormack was by a distance the best player on the park and even then is still far from considerable international standard.

Cairney is far from the level of Fletcher/Morrison/McArthur. I see no reason for him to be included.

11 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Just Back from Ashton Gate, Murphy was superb again tonight. Took his goal extremely well. Must get a call up for next squad on current form.

Must get a call up? Fletcher, Griffiths, Rhodes, McCormack etc etc - Murphy is far from a MUST call up surely!? How many goals has he scored this season?

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Must get a call up? Fletcher, Griffiths, Rhodes, McCormack etc etc - Murphy is far from a MUST call up surely!? How many goals has he scored this season?

6 I think..... but a striker who can score goals means nothing to Strachan, so probably ticks all his requirements

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Doh, he's not played as a striker for years! He is getting the goals from the left wing, he's never played as a striker for Brighton and not as far as I know at Sheffield United. Seriously do some research before putting finger to keyboard or do you still use your forehead to type? 

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

6 I think..... but a striker who can score goals means nothing to Strachan, so probably ticks all his requirements

6 goals and 3 assists as an Left Side Attacking Midfielder or Winger

Scores first in these two vids.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/brighton/10166179/brighton-3-2-bolton

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/brighton/10179137/bristol-city-0-4-brighton

Gareth Bale he aint but he is only 26 Scottish, plays with pace, good link up play and can score goals! In his last 4 games he has 3 goals and one assist,

Edited by kmcca5

20 minutes ago, kmcca5 said:

6 goals and 3 assists as an Left Side Attacking Midfielder or Winger

Scores first in these two vids.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/brighton/10166179/brighton-3-2-bolton

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/brighton/10179137/bristol-city-0-4-brighton

Gareth Bale he aint but he is only 26 Scottish, plays with pace, good link up play and can score goals! In his last 4 games he has 3 goals and one assist,

If that's the case then think chances are strong that we might see him get a call up, as that would fit in with Strachans style of play.

7 hours ago, norsefox said:

I went to the Fulham - Reading game earlier in the season and Cairney was incredibly unremarkable.

McCormack was by a distance the best player on the park and even then is still far from considerable international standard.

Cairney is far from the level of Fletcher/Morrison/McArthur. I see no reason for him to be included.

Is this post a wind up ?

You cannot just write off a player based on one game a few months ago. Cairney's record speaks for itself and he should be looked at.

You do also know that Morrison and McArthur are out injured and won't be available for the upcoming games ?

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is this post a wind up ?

You cannot just write off a player based on one game a few months ago. Cairney's record speaks for itself and he should be looked at.

How many times have you seen him play then?

34 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is this post a wind up ?

You do also know that Morrison and McArthur are out injured and won't be available for the upcoming games ?

So the next time you watch Talbot or any other non-league team in Scotland you won't be writing any off as future Scotland stars? Perhaps you need to study them in detail for months before making a call?

His touch wasn't great, his movement was nothing special and he simply looked an average player in an average side playing another completely forgettable average side.

If Cairney can be judged to be making waves and knocking on the door of the full team... Then we have real problems.

No better than Cowie or a myriad of other journeyman-esq midfielders.

Id be terrified for the upcoming campaign if guys like cairney and Murphy were to be involved  against the likes of Slovakia and Slovenia away from home and both games England. 

However if that's the calibre we're left with these days then so be it.