Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 178 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I wonder if Chris graham was one who was outraged at Boruc crossing himself at Ibrox. I am willing to bet that was an outrage but sending a self drawn cartoon of prophet Muhammad choking the heid.aff jar jar blinks was freedom of religious expression blah blah. This is a very good example of karma. The proper one where your past actions comeback to bite you directly. Chance of a lifetime down the shitter there Chris.

I wonder if Chris graham was one who was outraged at Boruc crossing himself at Ibrox. I am willing to bet that was an outrage but sending a self drawn cartoon of prophet Muhammad choking the heid.aff jar jar blinks was freedom of religious expression blah blah. This is a very good example of karma. The proper one where your past actions comeback to bite you directly. Chance of a lifetime down the shitter there Chris.

aye him and 50000 others...the minority

I am generally impressed by the way ordinary people in Scotland these days are sensitive to issues of gender, race, sexuality. Bigotry of all kinds seems to be sliding in the past. Not at Rangers. The guy Graham, who appeared to be the epitome of the near legendary 'decent Rangers fan' - modern well dressed and articulate enough to pop up on chat shows. And yet here he is unmasked as a bigot and a prolific online troller.

Now the guy 'Woods', who was going to paint the stadium, turns out to be an advocate of ethnic cleansing (we can all guess of whom I suppose).... having personally experienced the full glory of 40,000 at Ibrox singing the most disgusting bigoted songs 3 years ago I ask.......

do Rangers fans even know what bigotry is ? If you stand alongside bigots and identify with them and do nothing to stop them what does that make you ? there is something rotten with this 'culture' - how are they going to deal with it ? because it seems to me they are intent on defying the police, the government, the SFA and anyone else who stands in their way.....

It is mainstream, not a 'minority' - it has even reached the boardroom now. why does no group within Rangers stand up and say they should stop ?

I am generally impressed by the way ordinary people in Scotland these days are sensitive to issues of gender, race, sexuality. Bigotry of all kinds seems to be sliding in the past. Not at Rangers. The guy Graham, who appeared to be the epitome of the near legendary 'decent Rangers fan' - modern well dressed and articulate enough to pop up on chat shows. And yet here he is unmasked as a bigot and a prolific online troller.

Now the guy 'Woods', who was going to paint the stadium, turns out to be an advocate of ethnic cleansing (we can all guess of whom I suppose).... having personally experienced the full glory of 40,000 at Ibrox singing the most disgusting bigoted songs 3 years ago I ask.......

do Rangers fans even know what bigotry is ? If you stand alongside bigots and identify with them and do nothing to stop them what does that make you ? there is something rotten with this 'culture' - how are they going to deal with it ? because it seems to me they are intent on defying the police, the government, the SFA and anyone else who stands in their way.....

It is mainstream, not a 'minority' - it has even reached the boardroom now. why does no group within Rangers stand up and say they should stop ?

Do you live in some Dick Van Dyke imagined Scotland where everything is just luverly except for the evil football team hidden deep in the woods where bad things happen as the rest of the good people carry on with their bucolic life free from hatred and bigotry?? If you do, I'd love to get a ticket there!

I'm first to admit that there is a problem with Rangers and a large majority of the support. Neither the club nor the supporters association have ever addressed the issue properly and it continues to be a blight which hold the club back and understandably makes them a social pariah for many in Scotland. I totally get that. But the reality is it's also a pretty accurate reflection on Scottish society and where we are in terms of acceptance of others - rather than being some sort of strange aberration.

Having worked with migrant communities in Scotland for well over ten years I can tell you that bigotry and rascism exist in this country far from the football grounds and terraces of Ibrox Stadium.As someone who lives in Scotland I can also tell you that religious intolerance exists and is uttered on a daily basis by people who couldn't give a shit about football. I hear anti islamic remarks daily and if anything it gets worse every year - most comments I hear put anything sung at Ibrox to shame!

Rangers, and to an extent Celtic are just very visible reflections of a outdated intolerance towards religion that exists in Scotland. And yes, there needs to be a heavy hand by Scottish Government to deal with it, but please don't give me the patronising shite that outwith Rangers everything is rosy in Scotland in terms of social tolerance and cohesion because that may be the biggest crock of shit I've read on here in years!

TT

some of us really struggle to understand it - if you could help us I'd appreciate it, but there is a lot of hate and not a lot of love. The 'decent fan' and the 'minority' seem words which are thrown about a lot and yet precious little evidence exists of either.......

Edited by UPROAR

But the reality is it's also a pretty accurate reflection on Scottish society and where we are in terms of acceptance of others - rather than being some sort of strange aberration.

TT

Agree with a lot of your post actually, but this bit above is total nonsense.

I've no idea where you live, or what company you keep, but to say that the nonsense you get at Ibrox, and with large elements of your away support is somehow indicative of 'just the way it is' in Scottish society is complete rubbish. And frankly the attitude of "yeah, we've got problems, we haven't dealt with them, but that's just the way it is" is a huge part of the problem IMO

Agree with a lot of your post actually, but this bit above is total nonsense.

I've no idea where you live, or what company you keep, but to say that the nonsense you get at Ibrox, and with large elements of your away support is somehow indicative of 'just the way it is' in Scottish society is complete rubbish. And frankly the attitude of "yeah, we've got problems, we haven't dealt with them, but that's just the way it is" is a huge part of the problem IMO

Oh, I think you misunderstood mu point. What I'm saying is there is as bad if not worse in Scottish society that goes unaddressed and it's shameful and needs to be addressed - part of that is sectarianism in terms of the crap you hear at Ibrox but much of it is around far more ingrained and insidious. I would say that much of it is around race and intolerance towards people who don't conform to your standard judeo christian belief systems.

For me much of the shite at I hear at Ibrox is pantomime. It's simply really thick and ignorant and probably in most cases doesn't go beyond the confines of the stadium. I, like many on here, hate it, but it really is just dumb people clubbing together for a bit of self affirmation which actually just defines them as collectively stupid. Nowadays little of the anti Catholic stuff goes beyond the ground and itnot society.

I just get angry when people think what goes on with the singing is the pinnacle of intolerance in Scotland, when there are far more ingrained prejudices in society which people seem to find quite easy to accept or in most cases blissfully ignore!!

Apologies if I don't share the same level of ire towards the terminally thick singing songs about King Billy, I just can't find the energy to give them that much notice anymore.

TT

some of us really struggle to understand it - if you could help us I'd appreciate it, but there is a lot of hate and not a lot of love. The 'decent fan' and the 'minority' seem words which are thrown about a lot and yet precious little evidence exists of either.......

People who sing the songs are stupid.

I would say the people who sing the songs are the majority but I would say the people who sing the songs and believe in some form of Protestant superiority or are genuinely bigoted are probably a tiny minority.

If stuff like No Surrender really outrage you - then I can't help, I don't know the meaning of half the songs they sing now, so I can't really get too worked about the majority of them - even though my clear preference/ideal would be 100% songs about football

I think the division between Catholic and Protestant now (in Scottish society) generally doesn't exist - I now have dozens of friends in Scotland and I don't know if they were brought up Catholic or Protestant, nor do I care.

If you want to remove this shite from Scottish society then start with schooling then football - personally I think schools should be 100% separate from religion.

I agree it needs to be addressed but I also think it's part of a broader educational problem in Scotland and we need to address all kinds of intolerance not just the outdated 1970's Northern Ireland pish.

TT