Aberdeen - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any time there's development plans for Aberdeen a millions folk complain and hold it up.

Quite right - have you seen the plans for Marischal Square?

And UTG?

Bloody awful. Yet clowns like cllr Willie Young seem to think they can do what they like

The 'new money' certainly didn't help how city developed

Although from days gone by was certainly a far more isolated city ; distance wise and people were even more local

Was a bit of a toss up seemingly Btwn abz and Dundee to get the oil capital gig

I wonder how the voting would have looked if the golden goose would have landed on the Tay....

Even the city centre is alright, the ones on here giving aberdeen a hard time obviously havnt seen much of the city

I lived there for five years and worked there for 10 years, I still work there about one week every month and I think it's a shite hole. A lot of the people are full of themselves, they moan at the mere thought of change and they think with their wallets. I'm not saying they are all bad but I prefer working in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Inverness nowadays.

Oh and the infrastructure in aberdeen is among the worst in the uk, it's a joke.

Aberdeen... Have you noticed how old flats in Glasgow & Edinburgh will more often than not have a high ceiling? Yet more often than not in old Aberdeen it is like everything is built for people 4 foot tall or less and used to living in a cellar. They have clearly embraced their near dark existence like the Morlocks.

It has to be the most depressing city in Scotland.The grey granite does nothing but make the city look dull.

What an utter pile of complete b*llox.

Aberdeen's granite is unique and should be celebrated. You just have to look at the photos on the Aberdeen FB page to see how stunning it is. Sometimes the people of Scotland are its own worst enemy.

Any time there's development plans for Aberdeen a millions folk complain and hold it up.

Too many people are too resistant to change IMO.

And too many people want change for the sake of it regardless of how awful the change is - that is how we ended up with St Nicholas House in the first place. Take a look around Aberdeen and it is not the old buildings that are the problem. Aberdeen seems incapable of coming up with imaginative attractive plans to develop the city and that is why it appears people resist change.

Edited by Lamia

Pound for pound and given its long running oil advantages Aberdeen really deserves this title of dismal town / city / fishing village on steroids. Aberdeen City Council especially should wear it with pride. They were the ones who truly earned it, who really dug down and carved it out. Dundee has found a new identity through its long long adversity. Aberdeen has squandered their old one during its long long 'success'.

Look at what Glasgow did in Merchant City

5916486128_62b1233949_b.jpg

Aberdeen on a smaller scale has redeveloped the belmont street area

anyone who remembers it from 70s early 80s will tell you what a huge difference there is

the refurb of old central academy was done well in my view - it was a huge eyesore for decades - boarded up

- now also a good link up to theatre/library/schoolhill area by foot

loads of bars on belmont st ; aye some dodge city - but while back was belmont & radars only

= the castlegate has been tried a few times for a european piazza style makeover ; wrong end of town though

not sure how many tamb tourists venture west of holburn junction up queens road - as loads of decent stuff that way

about 10yrs back we had visitors up from london, took them to la lombarda in castlegate - great food , nice outlook etc

until some old jake spewed his guts up right outside the window....

-

People always blame the folk of Aberdeen for resisting change but I am only aware of two things the people have resisted and haven't yet happened)and they are filing in Union Terrace Gardens and the monstrous Marischal Square proposals.If you look round Aberdeen you do not look at UTG and think oh my that is Aberdeen's major blight must fill it in that will make all the difference and I cannot see how anyone could claim the plans for Marischal Sq are iconic and will be the wow factor that chances things. What is wrong with Aberdeen isn't the old historic stuff it is the new stuff and there has been new stuff despite what some seem to claim.

I can think of a few examples - Ship Row and that utterly ugly Ibis that now dominates it! Ship Row which has been chopped off for a lovely duel carriageway that splits the heart of some of the oldest parts of Aberdeen - and don't get me started on the Danbury duel carriageway: the road to nowhere!. Then there is the complex at the beach - need I say more? They have recently built a Hub on the road which crosses King Street towards the beach which is another awful concrete white thing! There have been many more anonymous glass constructions too.

The problems Aberdeen has have not been created by resistant public they have been created by awful planning decisions and no imagination: with the honourable exception of the Marine Ops centre.

The issues there are also do not need to be solved by knocking down the old and building new. They could bee solved by knocking down the new/relatively and building something better and restoring the old. I would kick off with demolishing that horrendous Market and John Lewis building.

I would knock one old thing down however and that is that horrible Triple Kirks spire that for some reason unknown to man is listed! I just can't wait for this:

newspic_3303.jpg