Trident Renewal Debate - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trident Renewal Debate

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got this email from my MP John Thurso:

Thank you for your email relating to the Opposition Day debate on Trident Renewal.

Liberal Democrats are committed to the global elimination of nuclear weapons. We have made it crystal clear that we are opposed to a like-for-like Trident replacement. We should step down the nuclear ladder and end the outdated continuous at-sea patrolling designed to meet a threat in the Soviet Union that no longer exists. By not recognising this we are failing to show our commitment to meeting international commitments to reducing nuclear weapons under the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The Tories and Labour both want to replace Trident at least on the same scale the Liberal Democrats are the only mainstream party opposed to that. We stopped the early renewal of Trident planned by Tony Blair and supported by the Conservatives. We have ensured that the final decision on whether to go ahead with the renewal of Trident will not be made until 2016, after the next General Election, and we will continue to make the case for alternatives in the meantime.

When we entered Government, we commissioned the Trident Alternatives Review which showed that ending 24-hour patrols and procuring fewer submarines would both make savings and still keep the UK safe. This review, published in 2013, is the most thorough review of nuclear systems and postures ever made public. The next Strategic Defence and Security Review must consider all the options and take the conclusions of the Trident Alternatives Review into account.

The UK is committed to a process of global disarmament and the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. We believe negotiated reductions in nuclear arsenals will encourage non-proliferation and move all states towards our ultimate goal of a much safer and non-nuclear world. Therefore taking this first step down the nuclear ladder is the right thing to do.

With kind regards.

John Thurso

Where abouts do you live in the constituency?

Unfortunately he's my mp too although I'll be very active trying to unseat him and his ridiculous moustache.

Edited by iainmac1

Ripped from Wings...

"Division list analysis of the Opposition Day vote on Trident renewal revealed 19 Labour MPs and five Government MPs joined the SNP and Plaid Cymru in the lobbies.

Neither Prime Minister David Cameron nor Labour leader Ed Miliband took part in the vote, which easily defeated the minor parties motion 364 to 37, a majority of 327.

The Labour MPs were: Diane Abbott (Hackney North and Stoke Newington), Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley), Katy Clark (North Ayrshire and Arran), Michael Connarty (Linlithgow and East Falkirk), Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North), Ian Davidson (Glasgow South West), Paul Flynn (Newport West), Roger Godsiff (Birmingham Sparkbrook and Small Heath), Kelvin Hopkins (Luton North), David Lammy (Tottenham), Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North and Leith), John McDonnell (Hayes and Harlington), Grahame Morris (Easington), Fiona ODonnell (East Lothian), Dennis Skinner (Bolsover), Andrew Smith (Oxford East), Graham Stringer (Blackley and Broughton), Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North) and Sandra Osborne (Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock).

Conservative Crispin Blunt (Reigate) and four Liberal Democrats Mike Crockart (Edinburgh West), Andrew George (St Ives), Julian Huppert (Cambridge) and Mark Williams (Ceredigion) also backed the motion.

The remainder of the aye voters were five SNP MPs, Stewart Hosie (Dundee), Angus MacNeil (Na h-Eileanan an Iar), Angus Robertson (Moray), Mike Weir (Angus) and Eilidh Whiteford (Banff & Buchan), two Plaid Cymru MPs, Elfyn Llwyd (Dwyfor Meirionnydd) and Hywel Williams (Arfon), Green MP Caroline Lucas (Brighton Pavilion), Respect MP

George Galloway (Bradford East) and Independent Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South).

Three Northern Ireland MPs, Mark Durkan (Foyle) and Margaret Ritchie (South Down) from the SDLP and Naomi Long (Belfast East) from the Alliance, also backed the motion.

SNP MP Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire) and Plaid MP Jonathan Edwards (Carmarthen East and Dinefwr) acted as Aye tellers."

I just got this email from my MP John Thurso:

The Tories and Labour both want to replace Trident at least on the same scale the Liberal Democrats are the only mainstream party opposed to that. John Thurso

:rolleyes:

Incidentally, the SNP's TU group apparently now has more members than the entire Scottish branch of the Labour party. :)

I brought this up last night, I felt it should be discussed as it could be an avenue where we could reach out to the SNP and perhaps find some common ground. The 'Just Scotland Rally' in October, which I attended but admittedly wasn't on the look out for the SNP group attracted just 3 people from SNP TUG. Apparently if they have the numbers... They're not very active.

Ripped from Wings...

"Division list analysis of the Opposition Day vote on Trident renewal revealed 19 Labour MPs and five Government MPs joined the SNP and Plaid Cymru in the lobbies.

Neither Prime Minister David Cameron nor Labour leader Ed Miliband took part in the vote, which easily defeated the minor parties motion 364 to 37, a majority of 327.

The Labour MPs were: Diane Abbott (Hackney North and Stoke Newington), Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley), Katy Clark (North Ayrshire and Arran), Michael Connarty (Linlithgow and East Falkirk), Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North), Ian Davidson (Glasgow South West), Paul Flynn (Newport West), Roger Godsiff (Birmingham Sparkbrook and Small Heath), Kelvin Hopkins (Luton North), David Lammy (Tottenham), Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North and Leith), John McDonnell (Hayes and Harlington), Grahame Morris (Easington), Fiona ODonnell (East Lothian), Dennis Skinner (Bolsover), Andrew Smith (Oxford East), Graham Stringer (Blackley and Broughton), Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North) and Sandra Osborne (Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock).

Conservative Crispin Blunt (Reigate) and four Liberal Democrats Mike Crockart (Edinburgh West), Andrew George (St Ives), Julian Huppert (Cambridge) and Mark Williams (Ceredigion) also backed the motion.

The remainder of the aye voters were five SNP MPs, Stewart Hosie (Dundee), Angus MacNeil (Na h-Eileanan an Iar), Angus Robertson (Moray), Mike Weir (Angus) and Eilidh Whiteford (Banff & Buchan), two Plaid Cymru MPs, Elfyn Llwyd (Dwyfor Meirionnydd) and Hywel Williams (Arfon), Green MP Caroline Lucas (Brighton Pavilion), Respect MP

George Galloway (Bradford East) and Independent Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South).

Three Northern Ireland MPs, Mark Durkan (Foyle) and Margaret Ritchie (South Down) from the SDLP and Naomi Long (Belfast East) from the Alliance, also backed the motion.

SNP MP Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire) and Plaid MP Jonathan Edwards (Carmarthen East and Dinefwr) acted as Aye tellers."

Does Pete not get a vote then if he is a teller?

Ripped from Wings...

So 400 folk voted out of 650. 250 abstentions on nuclear weapons. Need to think on that more.

I brought this up last night, I felt it should be discussed as it could be an avenue where we could reach out to the SNP and perhaps find some common ground. The 'Just Scotland Rally' in October, which I attended but admittedly wasn't on the look out for the SNP group attracted just 3 people from SNP TUG. Apparently if they have the numbers... They're not very active.

If it's the three I am thinking of they all come from my branch! :lol:

People perhaps marched with their TU that day as opposed to the SNP group. I probably would have if I'd have made it that day (I was 'unwell'). Even so, that's a disappointing turn-out. The group definitely could and should be marketed far better.

I am sure if you shone a light on most SNP branches, particularly those in 'traditional Labour areas', you'd probably meet more people with views similar to yours than you might think. A lot of the people from my branch - certainly not all but definitely a lot - are TU people and/or ex-Labour activists.

Out of interest, who were you discussing it with?

If it's the three I am thinking of they all come from my branch! :lol:

People perhaps marched with their TU that day as opposed to the SNP group. I probably would have if I'd have made it that day (I was 'unwell'). Even so, that's a disappointing turn-out. The group definitely could and should be marketed far better.

I am sure if you shone a light on most SNP branches, particularly those in 'traditional Labour areas', you'd probably meet more people with views similar to yours than you might think. A lot of the people from my branch - certainly not all but definitely a lot - are TU people and/or ex-Labour activists.

Out of interest, who were you discussing it with?

It was at the SSP branch meeting the other night.

I can assure you, local branch of my SNP is full of absolute bellends, nutjobs and corrupt corporate stooges. Cove Sheep can attest to this... He's encountered one of their organisers... Who wants there to be a restriction on voting to those educated to degree level. My area is about as traditional Labour as they come... Well since the 80's, Unionist party before then.

Cove assures me other branches of the SNP are different, but those I've encountered locally are... ####wits.

You're lovely though and if representative of your branch, I'm pleased :ok: