Trident Renewal Debate - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trident Renewal Debate

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One for Scunnered, seeing as Page 3's been binned...

20140311-d070.jpg

Ach :( I've not long cracked one off to a video of a German lass pumping some fella on a train.mi appreciate it though and I'll make use of it tomorrow :ok: Edited by Scunnered

Maybe she's in the wrong party? :wink2:

I know you're kidding. But I went through this the other day with the convener of the local SNP branch. Katy is a very active trade Unionist, to leave Labour severs her links with the Unions... At the moment her political career consists of campaigning constantly for local issues as well as workers rights while objecting to the majority of her parties policy... To leave Labour for the SNP she'd be doing the same, only without influence and connections with the Unions.

I just got this email from my MP John Thurso:

Thank you for your email relating to the Opposition Day debate on Trident Renewal.

Liberal Democrats are committed to the global elimination of nuclear weapons. We have made it crystal clear that we are opposed to a like-for-like Trident replacement. We should step down the nuclear ladder and end the outdated continuous at-sea patrolling designed to meet a threat in the Soviet Union that no longer exists. By not recognising this we are failing to show our commitment to meeting international commitments to reducing nuclear weapons under the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The Tories and Labour both want to replace Trident at least on the same scale the Liberal Democrats are the only mainstream party opposed to that. We stopped the early renewal of Trident planned by Tony Blair and supported by the Conservatives. We have ensured that the final decision on whether to go ahead with the renewal of Trident will not be made until 2016, after the next General Election, and we will continue to make the case for alternatives in the meantime.

When we entered Government, we commissioned the Trident Alternatives Review which showed that ending 24-hour patrols and procuring fewer submarines would both make savings and still keep the UK safe. This review, published in 2013, is the most thorough review of nuclear systems and postures ever made public. The next Strategic Defence and Security Review must consider all the options and take the conclusions of the Trident Alternatives Review into account.

The UK is committed to a process of global disarmament and the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. We believe negotiated reductions in nuclear arsenals will encourage non-proliferation and move all states towards our ultimate goal of a much safer and non-nuclear world. Therefore taking this first step down the nuclear ladder is the right thing to do.

With kind regards.

John Thurso

I know you're kidding. But I went through this the other day with the convener of the local SNP branch. Katy is a very active trade Unionist, to leave Labour severs her links with the Unions... At the moment her political career consists of campaigning constantly for local issues as well as workers rights while objecting to the majority of her parties policy... To leave Labour for the SNP she'd be doing the same, only without influence and connections with the Unions.

She could still remain a member of a TU though, surely?

Incidentally, the SNP's TU group apparently now has more members than the entire Scottish branch of the Labour party. :)

She could still remain a member of a TU though, surely?

Incidentally, the SNP's TU group apparently now has more members than the entire Scottish branch of the Labour party. :)

Of course, but despite the TU link being severed over the years they do still have some influence in Labour policy... Including bringing the living wage bill to Holyrood *cough*

As for the second part, how do you know? Scottish Labour membership numbers are the most closely guarded secret since the colonels blend of herbs and spices :lol: