Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut

@neaver82

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic to see Gauld clearly knuckling down and becoming a better player at Sporting Lisbon. Three training sessions a day would have been hard to get used to at first but he should now be at a great level of fitness. :)

Good to see as well that Gauld hasn't been "converted" by his new club into a defensive midfielder. How many times has that happened to our promising young attacking midfielders in the past ? :mad:

How typically Scottish would it have been had Gauld complained to the Daily Record of homesickness and went on loan to Rangers on deadline day. It's so refreshing to see him showing the early signs of success out in Portugal.

Time for his international debut against either Northern Ireland or Gibraltar in my opinion.

Just listening to Gauld speak you can tell he's more switched on than his edinburgh/glesga daft boy counterparts. The fact that he would never be the type to get on the blower to Keith Jackson or some media twonk to complain of missing his ma's steak pie and the old firm makes it all the more sweeter because you know that the rectum and the current are annoyed by that.

Just listening to Gauld speak you can tell he's more switched on than his edinburgh/glesga daft boy counterparts. The fact that he would never be the type to get on the blower to Keith Jackson or some media twonk to complain of missing his ma's steak pie and the old firm makes it all the more sweeter because you know that the rectum and the current are annoyed by that.

Plenty of switched on Scottish players from central belt.

Andy Robertson, Naismith are two for starters. Equally there's been total bangers from north east in the past.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Yeah not all obviously. Am thinking guys like o'connor, Ferguson to an extent, and myself lol. Am sure I read a Garry oconnor interview and he actually referred to himself as a "daft boy".

Sweeping generalisation, my bad.

Edited by JECK

Sporting are setup for success at the moment. To be on the fringes of the first team is quite an achievement for Gauld. They are desperate for a league championship however and the shambolic defeat tonight pretty much rules that out this season. That might mean more game time for Ryan to establish himself.

My only cause for concern is this sell-on clause.

Looking purely on the negative side here but if he cannot fully break into the first team on a regular basis where will that leave him? What club would be prepared to take the plunge and have to pay massive amounts on a non-first team regular with that clause sitting there? That being the case he'd run the risk of becoming a nearly man with no great amount of first team football.

Now on the positive side I think he is still on a learning curve so I am not panicking that he isn't a first team regular yet and I think next year will see him really make his mark in the team. He is in the best place to learn just now with a team of coaches with a great record for nurturing young talent and is well away from the temptations of the ned culture that has gripped other promising youngsters of ours who I must add were not as mentally mature and well-grounded as Ryan seems to be.

My only cause for concern is this sell-on clause.

Looking purely on the negative side here but if he cannot fully break into the first team on a regular basis where will that leave him? What club would be prepared to take the plunge and have to pay massive amounts on a non-first team regular with that clause sitting there? That being the case he'd run the risk of becoming a nearly man with no great amount of first team football.

Just because there have a buy out clause doesn't mean anyone wanting to buy has to actually pay it.

If he's not looking like breaking into the first team and someone comes in for him, Sporting would probably accept an offer of around what they paid for him.

The buy out clause is there to try and ensure that Sporting are well compensated should he turn out to be a great player and top sides come sniffing around.

Just because there have a buy out clause doesn't mean anyone wanting to buy has to actually pay it.

If he's not looking like breaking into the first team and someone comes in for him, Sporting would probably accept an offer of around what they paid for him.

The buy out clause is there to try and ensure that Sporting are well compensated should he turn out to be a great player and top sides come sniffing around.

Ah right cheers yes I wondered about that. In any case I think he has the talent and mental attitude to make it at Sporting and hopefully he'll blossom into a Scotland international destined for great things.

In squad travelling to Wolfsburg Thursday Europa League

I know clubs usually take ridiculously big squads to European away games these days but I really hope Gauld can get off the bench for twenty or even ten minutes.

One thing though is that I think some guys are expecting a wee bit too much just now from Gauld. Yes he's scored for the first team and seems to have caught the managers eye but he's still a wee bit off becoming a first team player for Sporting. That should happen eventually but all in good time. However, I do agree with many that our upcoming games against Northern Ireland and Gibraltar are ideal for giving him his first cap (or two).

Next season should be the one where Gauld makes his impact at Sporting. :ok:

Didn't make the bench, seems weird to take him to Germany when he's not even on the bench

Clubs take about twenty or more players to European matches these days. It's ridiculous right enough. Might be another of EUFA or FIFA's bizarre rules.

Personally I always thought five substitutes was plenty. No need for all these huge squads.

It can only be a positive that he has travelled. Gets him training around the top team, experience of the whole European away game set-up, gets to know the guys who he will hopefully be playing with every game next season.

Looks like they have a sensible and measured approach to bringing through their young prospects using gradual integration into the first team.