Anyone Still Want To Reinstate This As A Regular Match? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone Still Want To Reinstate This As A Regular Match?

biffer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no just now.

If it is only in a friendly capacity then no. I say this because if that defeat last night had been in the same manner against a Norway, a Belgium or Russia for example we'd now be shrugging our shoulders saying it was only a friendly but because it is England it could impact on the fans and players far more. We are seeing that in how so many of our players are now being slated and changes being called for when I feel there is no real need to panic.

I have no gripes playing England if a cup were at stake like the old Stanley Rous Cup but it would be better playing it as a stand alone game away from qualifying dates.

Every 4 years and on a Saturday at 3pm. Very down at end of game last night and very disappointed to witness significant numbers of home support leaving before final whistle. Cardinal sin and we gave Ingerland pelters for this last year.

A home nations tourmanment every four years or even every ten years or so would be good

Think Celtic Cup just went to show that there is absolutely no appetite for such a thing.........

Playing England once and a while is ok, but make it regular and its just going to become as exciting as another game v the Faroes or Lithuania........

Think Celtic Cup just went to show that there is absolutely no appetite for such a thing.........

Playing England once and a while is ok, but make it regular and its just going to become as exciting as another game v the Faroes or Lithuania........

I disagree, I think a tournament with England involved would add much more to the tournament. It's the game all the other Celtic nations would want to see. Make it a competitive tournament with England included and I think there would be appetite

I disagree, I think a tournament with England involved would add much more to the tournament. It's the game all the other Celtic nations would want to see. Make it a competitive tournament with England included and I think there would be appetite

Yep, wouldn't want them all to be in the same stadium like last time though, have a four team league format spread out, and reverse the fixtures for the next year of the competition so the home ties are balanced.

Home nations tournament every other year that there isn't a Euro's or World Cup. I would be up for that.

Friendlies generally don't interest me but the home nations games at least add a bit of spice to it. Horrible result last night but give me that over Australia at Easter Road any day of the week.

As is pointed out above, these games have an effect on the players. I see that as a positive though. The players will be annoyed at that last night and it will also help keep their feet on the ground and realise that yes we have had a good start to our group, but that's all it is, a good start.

Wouldn't mind a game every 4 years with venues alternating. I don't think a trip to wembley every 8 years would be boring.

4 years I could handle.

I think UEFA and their week of football, plus FIFA scrapping the August friendly date has really limited any home nations style tournament (ie UEFA now pick when a team is playing, which makes arranging such a tournament much harder).

Wales and Northern Ireland might welcome the idea of playing us and England, but they do not want to play each other.....

4 years I could handle.

I think UEFA and their week of football, plus FIFA scrapping the August friendly date has really limited any home nations style tournament (ie UEFA now pick when a team is playing, which makes arranging such a tournament much harder).

Wales and Northern Ireland might welcome the idea of playing us and England, but they do not want to play each other.....

Why not?

I can't understand the apathy towards these fixtures. I grew up listening to stories from dad and his Wembley trips. They always sounded great and getting down there myself for the first time last year I have to agree, I thought it was superb. As I said above surely these fixtures have more about them than the likes of Australia?

I do not mind playing England every 4 years or so, but it does not help us going forward......

What would we learn from playing England a week before a qualifier against Russia that maybe a friendly v Poland or Ukraine would offer?

Its great when the chances come to play them, but to often and the games become stale (last few Rous Cup matches between us were like watching paint dry..... as the Home Nations Championship had its day and was no longer needed, and no amount of glamming it up with guest teams could keep it going).... if you let the hunger for such a fixture brew away for a number of years, then its a welcome return, but if you make it to regular it becomes boring and you are doing probably more harm to your Euro and WC hopes....

With regards to the other home nations, think everyone is sick to death of another trip to Cardiff, and though we have not played in Belfast for a long time, do not think there would be any hunger to go there every 2 or 4 years.

Edited by wanderer

Bit of an overreaction to hide from them just because of last night. They played well, we didn't. They physically bullied us, we were half a yard off the pace. The fixture was poorly scheduled, they are coasting through their group whereas we had Friday night's half-rugby match...

I don't want to play them every year anyway even if we'd won.

No. Not every year, cannae be ersed having to deal with they bunny rabbits comin up here. Don't mind going down to Wembley as their scumbags are diluted by the decent amongst their whole support but the concentration of bunny rabbits that come up here on away games we can all very much do without. Shitebags.

Edited by Bzzzz

I do not mind playing England every 4 years or so, but it does not help us going forward......

What would we learn from playing England a week before a qualifier against Russia that maybe a friendly v Poland or Ukraine would offer?

Its great when the chances come to play them, but to often and the games become stale (last few Rous Cup matches between us were like watching paint dry..... as the Home Nations Championship had its day and was no longer needed, and no amount of glamming it up with guest teams could keep it going).... if you let the hunger for such a fixture brew away for a number of years, then its a welcome return, but if you make it to regular it becomes boring and you are doing probably more harm to your Euro and WC hopes....

With regards to the other home nations, think everyone is sick to death of another trip to Cardiff, and though we have not played in Belfast for a long time, do not think there would be any hunger to go there every 2 or 4 years.

Aye I have to take your point there, especially with regards to progressing us as a team.

I'm probably thinking more from a fans point of view as if you look at any other friendly in recent years this is the only one where our support has been up for it.

I'd be up for reinstating it. Practical full houses at Hampden and Wembley so attractive financially. Both teams are usually up for it although England were definitely more up for it than we were probably as their qualifying group is so weak whilst we were up for it more last year.