Mccall Gone - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mccall Gone

Who do the Well fans want for the job ?

It's a good question?

Some of the names on the 'well sites are ridiculous. Patrick kluivert for example.

Reality is we have normally plucked someone from out the blue, and generally they've done pretty well recently.

I'd expect it to be someone from or with knowledge of the lower leagues in England.

I'd take Butcher back, but think he said he was done with Scottish football.

Adams was never popular as a player for Motherwell, and having been sacked by the only team beneath us in the table, it doesn't really excite me.

Not sure if Scott Leitch or JJ will be interested or in contention? Don't seem popular choices, nor would kenny black be.

Can't imagine likes of Coyle would be interested and Gary Mcallister I believe turned us down previously when he saw his budget, which would be worse now.

Before speaking to anyone else, I would like to send my final correspondence as Motherwell manager directly to the most important people, you, the supporters.

It’s fair to say that the last 24 hours or so have been incredibly difficult and emotional for me personally. However, it has also given me time to reflect on what has been a wonderful four years.

I’ve enjoyed terrific highs throughout – my first season we beat Celtic, turned in excellent Scottish Cup Quarter and Semi Final performances before getting to Hampden. Seeing what getting to a National Final meant to the fans, but also the town itself is something that will live with me forever.

I think back to the night we beat Hearts to qualify for the Champions League then the atmosphere at Fir Park for that game against Panathinaikos. For a lot of our players, that was the highlight of their career playing at that level.

We’ve managed to beat Celtic three times at Fir Park, including back-to-back wins. I remember coming back from 2-0 down at Easter Road to win and no one will ever forget that game at Pittodrie in the last game of the campaign. That will go down as one of the best days I’ve ever had in football.

You think back to those games and others with real enjoyment and satisfaction, but not just for ourselves, for what it did for you as supports and the highs they brought. We scored over 120 league goals in the last two seasons, so there have been plenty of positives.

Don’t get me wrong, managers always hold on defeats longer than victories and I acknowledge there have been some hugely disappointing lows. I suppose, in hindsight, I wish I had enjoyed the victories more at the time, but I was always too focused on the next game. I just hope the amount of highs cancel out some of the disappointments when people look back at what we’ve achieved here.

We then come to this season, which has been a huge disappointment and my ultimate decision to step down yesterday. After the win at Ross County and the performance at Celtic Park, there was a real belief that we could get our confidence back and kick on, but the defeat at Hamilton in the Cup, and in particular, the manner of it, really knocked the stuffing out of us.

I struggled to sleep after Friday’s game with St Johnstone then woke up again during the night Saturday into Sunday, thinking about the Dundee United game and I just couldn’t come up with any answers. I felt that with the International break coming up, now would be a good time to step aside to allow the club time.

I have a hope that with a fresh voice and maybe some new ideas, it will give the players that little boost they need. I felt that if I didn’t have the same hunger or desire, if I was deflated, then the players would sense that and that’s not what they, or the club, needs at this point.

I remember saying at Bradford prior to leaving that I take defeats really badly and carry it with me for a long time. This season has been difficult and when you become apprehensive about the next game, that’s your body’s way of telling you that maybe things have come to an end.

Both as a player and manager, you should work all week and really look forward to matches, but if you have that negativity in your head, it’s difficult and I don’t want that to make our situation any worse. I care too much about the place and the people who work here.

I would like to finish by thanking some people who have been invaluable to me. First, to the board – Derek Weir and others – who gave me a chance to manage this fantastic football club. They have all been hugely supportive through both good and bad times.

To all the staff I’ve worked beside: Kenny Black, Gordon Marshall, Jonatan Johansson, Adam Stokes, John Porteous and latterly Aileen Anderson, Alan MacDonald, Bobby Jenks, Scott Leitch, and before him Gordon Young. We’ve been a really close-knit, tight unit who has worked hard through it all and I want to put on record my thanks for all their terrific work and effort.

To the players, both current and past, who have represented themselves and the club so fantastically and achieved so much. You can talk all you like about tactics, formations and shape, but it’s footballers that win you games and they have been outstanding.

I would also like to acknowledge all the superbly dedicated and hard-working staff that work at the club.

Alan Burrows, who has been a great help to me throughout my whole time in both his roles, and the two guys in media, Ross Clarkson and Ally Reilly, who have contributed more than anyone will know to the success of this club in recent times. Karen Paterson, the football administrator, has been a huge source of advice and guidance too over the years.

To Elaine and all the groundstaff, the kitchen and office staff – each one of them have been a pleasure to work beside and made coming in to Fir Park so enjoyable. I will miss them all.

And finally to you, the supporters. I’ve enjoyed an excellent rapport with you all and I hope some of the great days and nights we’ve had together over the last four years have made supporting this football club an enjoyable experience.

The group of young guys in the corner has given home matches a heart, a soul and an atmosphere and it’s fair to say Motherwell FC is certainly a club that gets under your skin.

I would ask you all to rally around the club and the players in the next few weeks and months. We’ve achieved everything with hard work, dedication and a real togetherness and that’s particularly the case when things aren’t going right.

Nothing would give more pleasure if I am back up the road next May with my Claret and Amber scarf, with the team having picked up in the league, watching ‘Well at the Scottish Cup Final once again.

It’s been a pleasure. Thanks for the memories.

So long and farewell.

It's a good question?

Some of the names on the 'well sites are ridiculous. Patrick kluivert for example.

Reality is we have normally plucked someone from out the blue, and generally they've done pretty well recently.

I'd expect it to be someone from or with knowledge of the lower leagues in England.

I'd take Butcher back, but think he said he was done with Scottish football.

Adams was never popular as a player for Motherwell, and having been sacked by the only team beneath us in the table, it doesn't really excite me.

Not sure if Scott Leitch or JJ will be interested or in contention? Don't seem popular choices, nor would kenny black be.

Can't imagine likes of Coyle would be interested and Gary Mcallister I believe turned us down previously when he saw his budget, which would be worse now.

Cheers for the reply :ok:

Do Kenny Shiels or Steve Lomas appeal to you at all ?

That's me just had a chance to read the email from McCall.

Sums it up quite well, did a great job, despite a few disappointments along the way. (Ibrox in the league cup, Albion rovers in the Scottish cup and Stjarnan and Hamilton this season).

Think he can leave now with the best wishes of everyone at Motherwell, but with an agreement, that for whatever reason, something wasn't right and it just wasn't happening.

What went wrong, and how it went so wrong so quickly, I don't know. We've had slumps before, but come out of them with a few wins back to back. Like December 2011 into January 2012, we then went on a great run. Last season at the split I thought we were headed for 5th, ended up 2nd....

Cheers for the reply :ok:

Do Kenny Shiels or Steve Lomas appeal to you at all ?

Steve Lomas would have to be worth considering, did well at stjohnstone working under similar constraints.

Kenny Shiels is good for the press or neutrals, but wouldn't want him at my club. Think he'd be good or really bad. Imagine he could be very difficult to work with and divisive if he can't work with the players he inherits (as there's no money for new ones).

His record at Well is incredible, especially rebuilding the team so much. My only worry was goals against column even when we had decent players in defence over last few seasons it was always one of the worst in the league considering where we finished but the goals were going in. Not now though and that's been the difference.

And as for some Dons fans on here, aw bless it's been such a long time since the 80's the recent Motherwell success must be difficult for you ;)

And as for some Dons fans on here, aw bless it's been such a long time since the 80's the recent Motherwell success must be difficult for you ;)

Success - How was parading your second place trophy around the Cash Converters Stadium?

Success - How was parading your second place trophy around the Cash Converters Stadium?

You don't get a trophy for finishing second in the league in Scotland as far as I'm aware and there isn't a stadium in Scotland called the Cash Converters Stadium. Your lack of Scottish football knowledge is rather disappointing to say the least.

Oh and well done Dons in doing Motherwell a favour last night x

Owen Coyle turns down chance to discuss Well job. Obviously prefers copious amounts of arse-licking media work.

Sad thing is, that media work probably pays more than a team who have finished 3rd, 2nd and 2nd can.

McCall done a tremendous job at Motherwell but it's been getting harder as they lose players for nothing and don't get better replacements so can understand why he left them. Hard act to follow.

Owen Coyle turns down chance to discuss Well job. Obviously prefers copious amounts of arse-licking media work.

Never understood the love in that some of the media have with Owen Coyle. Always fawning over the Premier League and supported England at the World Cup in 2010.

That and I just can't stand "Mr Nicey Nice" people like Coyle.