Tonev The Racist - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tonev The Racist

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point though mate, I'm not actually judging it one way or they other. Please don't think for one second I'm condoning this sort of thing or trying to defend it. I can remember reading an article a month or so ago saying the case was probably going to be dropped due to lack off evidence to support any claims.

Totally take your point regarding Logan, but McIness and Aberdeen FC? They are surely just backing their player in the same way Celtic are no? Unless McIness did actually hear it as well given how close it was the the touchline. Guy at my work again has just said it was apparently clear as day to Tonev's connotations although again what was actually said remains a mystery.

The thing that I find strange is that if the evidence was so overwhelmingly conclusive as to warrant a 7 match ban, why are Celtic appealling? One theory (again coming from the same Celtic fan) is that Logan has apparently changed his statement since making the initial complaint.

A question for all on this thread. What do we make of the punishment? Should it be more? Should he be sacked?

If there is conclusive proof he should be sacked and that's a given.

If the proof is not conclusive though, he should not be given 7 games or even any games, that's for sure. Irrespective of the team he plays for, you cannot hang a guy on the basis of presumption or supposition.

The pair were direct opponents for much of the match and Englishman Logan is understood to have told referee Bobby Madden that Tonev said to him: 'Get your hands off me, you black c***.'

Logan, 26, was left so incensed by the alleged confrontation with Tonev that after alerting Madden he also directed Dons skipper Mark Reynolds to take up the matter formally with the match official.

He then informed his manager Derek McInnes, with the Aberdeen management team alerting fourth official Crawford Allan as well as Celtic to the allegation.

Edited by Scotty CTA

The pair were direct opponents for much of the match and Englishman Logan is understood to have told referee Bobby Madden that Tonev said to him: 'Get your hands off me, you black c***.'

Logan, 26, was left so incensed by the alleged confrontation with Tonev that after alerting Madden he also directed Dons skipper Mark Reynolds to take up the matter formally with the match official.

He then informed his manager Derek McInnes, with the Aberdeen management team alerting fourth official Crawford Allan as well as Celtic to the allegation.

Again, surely there would be a requirement for more than that to do him?

Apparently this is the statement that Logan back tracked on and was forced to admit he wasn't actually sure if those exact words had been used......which is why Celtic appealed.

Again though I'll stress I've no idea if the source carries any substance or not.

Also have the feeling there must be more to it than that as that story definitely reads 'You said that/Naw I didnae' and surely wouldn't be enough to find someone guilty or not?

Apparently this is the statement that Logan back tracked on and was forced to admit he wasn't actually sure if those exact words had been used......which is why Celtic appealed.

Again though I'll stress I've no idea if the source carries any substance or not.

Also have the feeling there must be more to it than that as that story definitely reads 'You said that/Naw I didnae' and surely wouldn't be enough to find someone guilty or not?

Surely if Logan was unsure of the exact words the case would have faded away with no hearing?

Seems that nobody outwith the clubs and SFA really know how the case was presented and presided over leading to a lot of folk guessing at what the story is.

Why are the SFA judge, jury and executioner for such an alleged crime?

Rossy touched on it earlier but why aren't the police and courts involved? They should be the ones investigating and handing out any punishment.

Any alleged racism in the stands will get you an appearance at the Sheriff court.

Only after the official verdict the relevant football authorities can decide what action to take.

Of course, if the procurator fiscal don't believe there's enough evidence for a conviction, the SFA should heed this.

Of course, if the procurator fiscal don't believe there's enough evidence for a conviction, the SFA should heed this.

Criminal prosecutions require guilt to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt.

The SFA judgement against Tonev will on the balance of probabilities.

Why are the SFA judge, jury and executioner for such an alleged crime?

Rossy touched on it earlier but why aren't the police and courts involved? They should be the ones investigating and handing out any punishment.

Any alleged racism in the stands will get you an appearance at the Sheriff court.

Only after the official verdict the relevant football authorities can decide what action to take.

Yeah, I must admit I was going on the presumption that to be found guilty of a serious charge like this, there must have been overwhelming evidence....and if that is the case, why weren't the police involved.

Of course, when I thought about it, it's true (as Parkie says) that the SFA aren't a court of law. The level of proof needed isn't necessarily the same.

Dat true dat.

If, and it's a big if, Tonev is not guilty what size of ban will Logan receive?

Why would he be banned? If there isn't enough evidence to find tonev guilty there certainly wouldn't be enough evidence to suggest Logan is lying.

I think his reaction at the time shows that whatever was said bothered him enough to react in the manner he did.

I'm neutral on the matter, I have no allegiances to either side but I'm inclined to believe shay Logan's story purely due to his initial reaction and the previous track record of Eastern Europeans with regards to racism. ( that last sentence sounds slightly racist itself!)

That says to me that if someone in the SFA don't like you or the club you represent, you're probably guilty. Fills ye with confidence!

Patrice evra has previous for making spurious claims of racist abuse up. It does happen.

Not saying Logan has here but the evidence as far as I can see is non existent and has also been altered by Logan.

If tonev is guilty he should be hammered and sent back to villa. It is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that he is innocent.

Patrice evra has previous for making spurious claims of racist abuse up. It does happen.

Not saying Logan has here but the evidence as far as I can see is non existent and has also been altered by Logan.

If tonev is guilty he should be hammered and sent back to villa. It is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that he is innocent.

Proof please.

As far as I see it is one persons word vs another's. Therefore no substantive evidence.

So its your interpretation.

I still find the suggestion that if the verdict changes to not proven that Logan should be punished absolutely absurd.

All cases of alleged racism should be reported and dealt with by the authorities based on their procedures.