Tonev The Racist - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tonev The Racist

Surely the SFA have to come out and explain how they arrived at this decision?

Unless I'm missing something, Logan said Tovev called him something; Tonev said he never. Is there any independent evidence to substantiate what Logan alleges?

I'm not saying Logan's lied - it's hardly the type of thing you'd make up. However, it's very difficult if Tonev is saying otherwise. If there is clear evidence that he did say whatever he's in bother for, then he should never play for us again & should be sent back to Villa (if possible).

I must be honest, I forgot all about this & assumed it had fizzled out. I was stunned to see the outcome based on what seems to be one word against another.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost of an appeal is prohibitive to most clubs, I'm sure I've heard a figure of £1200-1500 quoted.

Should be an extra 3-4 games if they lose.

That way the club REALLY has to assess whether or not to cut their loses.

That money is a no-brainer for Celtic.

Unless I'm missing something, Logan said Tovev called him something; Tonev said he never. Is there any independent evidence to substantiate what Logan alleges?

I'm not saying Logan's lied - it's hardly the type of thing you'd make up. However, it's very difficult if Tonev is saying otherwise. If there is clear evidence that he did say whatever he's in bother for, then he should never play for us again & should be sent back to Villa (if possible).

I must be honest, I forgot all about this & assumed it had fizzled out. I was stunned to see the outcome based on what seems to be one word against another.

I'd agree with that.

I would imagine it can't be another Aberdeen player that witnessed it either.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

I think all of us agree with that.

I'd always presumed that if it was simply one player's word against another's, then there wouldn't be enough evidence. The fact that he was found guilty and got such a significant ban suggests that there must be more evidence out there.

Let's be honest here...I see no reason for Logan to lie or to make this up. On the other hand, if Tonev did call Logan what has been suggested, it's unlikely he would hold his hand up and admit to it.

According to last night's Sportsound, the only evidence the panel got was the two players appearing before them.

If that's the case they are/have set a worrying precident here....

Unless as has already been stated he made a mistake or admitted it during the hearing - if that's the case, I'd expect Celtic to bin him straight away. The fact they are appealing possibly indicates that the club heard nothing during the hearing to make them think the player was guilty?

Either way how can you come to a conclusion like that if 1 person says one thing & another says different & no one else saw or heard anything?

For Celtic to come out in support, I can only assume it is as simple as one word against the other. If that's the case, the SFA have got to clarify this.

As we've seen, several of their decisions have been kicked out when challenged (Lennon's ban, various instances with Rangers recently). Can't blame Tonev / Celtic for appealing if there is no evidence (other than Logan's word).

If there is some form of evidence & Celtic knew about it, this won't look at all good.

Am I the only person who thinks that the police should be the people to be investigating this? If the courts find him guilty then the SFA have got to ban him. If it's one word against another then I don't think it would even get to court to be honest.

To get a 7 game ban on a persons say so is pretty harsh unless he's crumbled under interview which I wouldn't have thought he'd do if he had a half decent solicitor with him. Maybe got a ban for refusing to answer any questions the panel put to him as advised by his solicitor.

There must be more than the Aberdeen players word or he would have got the same as Boyd.

Pointless arguing until the appeal is heard and the facts become clear.

Innocent until proven guilty in this country and whilst the appeal is live he's not proven yet.

OK, I'll put it another way. If he's clearly guilty according to the evidence then I expected Celtic to kick him out the door. The fact that Celtic are backing him makes me think the evidence is not as clear cut as some think it is.

Or the fact that Celtic are happy to employ a racist?

I'm sure those fans who threw banana's from the jungle will be supportive.

I'll wait until i see the evidence until i decide on the merits of his conviction.

Likewise. Why hasn't it been released already though? If it was a five hour process then there must have been much more to it than "He said....", countered by "No I didn't". However, if, has been mentioned upthread, it was only the two players themselves who presented evidence, I can't see how it can more than one person's word against another's. But...how can that take five hours?

I'm confused, frankly.

Just to add to the mystery of it all, my mate at work (Sellick season ticket holder) reckons his uncles aunties sisters maw was very close to said incident and in his words 'The Sheep player was definitely racially abused, Tonev should be booted out the door immediately'

I asked what was said to be met with 'ehm dinnae actually ken' :-)) It seems to me that no one does though.

I have to admit I forgot all about this. Would be interested to see how the verdict was arrived at i.e what evidence they had. I assume it wasn't caught on TV?

I have to admit I forgot all about this. Would be interested to see how the verdict was arrived at i.e what evidence they had. I assume it wasn't caught on TV?

There was a suggestion on an Dons forum that video evidence was used.

No idea if that's true or not, I doubt if Aberdeen fans forums are any more reliable than Celtic's.

There was a suggestion on an Dons forum that video evidence was used.

No idea if that's true or not, I doubt if Aberdeen fans forums are any more reliable than Celtic's.

Should just come on here. We have ALL the answers :)

ill reserve judgement until details of the case are made public. Both sides seem absolutely convinced that they are right. Whilst it's nice to see that lot in the shit, everything should be judged on its merits and at the moment it seems pretty inconclusive to me.

Edited by Angus_Young

Likewise. Why hasn't it been released already though? If it was a five hour process then there must have been much more to it than "He said....", countered by "No I didn't". However, if, has been mentioned upthread, it was only the two players themselves who presented evidence, I can't see how it can more than one person's word against another's. But...how can that take five hours?

I'm confused, frankly.

Apparently because there is an appeal ongoing the case is still live, and therefore they cannot release any information around the decision. seems fair enough really until the case is settled.

the thing is with this one there are no half measures. no reducing the punishment - it has to either stand or be dismissed. You cant be half a racist, or have made half a racist comment - its the full crime or nothing. and for them to have given the ban in the first place based on the evidence they have, it would be remarkable if they just dismissed it second time round.

Should just come on here. We have ALL the answers :)

ill reserve judgement until details of the case are made public. Both sides seem absolutely convinced that they are right. Whilst it's nice to see that lot in the shit, everything should be judged on its merits and at the moment it seems pretty inconclusive to me.

That's because you (like the rest of us) are judging the story on comments on a football message board and newspaper tittle tattle.

I don't want to see an innocent player branded a racist, but I come back to the point about why should Logan, McInnes and Aberdeen FC lie or make something up ? watch Logan's reaction. He reacted instantly and strongly to whatever was said to him.....there can only be 2 possible explanations to this, one being that he misheard Tonev, and the other being that Tonev did in fact say something which was offensive and racist.

The SFA have looked at the vidence and (for now) decided that Tonev is guilty.

Celtic's defence seems to be... 'the player said he didn't do it, so therefore he can't be guilty'.

Make of that what you will. Maybe it will be overturned on appeal, there's plenty of precedent out there. As I said, I don't want to see an innocent player incorrectly branded a racist.

That's the point though mate, I'm not actually judging it one way or they other. Please don't think for one second I'm condoning this sort of thing or trying to defend it. I can remember reading an article a month or so ago saying the case was probably going to be dropped due to lack off evidence to support any claims.

Totally take your point regarding Logan, but McIness and Aberdeen FC? They are surely just backing their player in the same way Celtic are no? Unless McIness did actually hear it as well given how close it was the the touchline. Guy at my work again has just said it was apparently clear as day to Tonev's connotations although again what was actually said remains a mystery.

The thing that I find strange is that if the evidence was so overwhelmingly conclusive as to warrant a 7 match ban, why are Celtic appealling? One theory (again coming from the same Celtic fan) is that Logan has apparently changed his statement since making the initial complaint.

A question for all on this thread. What do we make of the punishment? Should it be more? Should he be sacked?