Lewis Ferguson......🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lewis Ferguson......🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Thinking about it, I’d also like to see 4/2/3/1

Patterson Souttar/Hendry Tierney Robertson

Ferguson.     Christie

McTominay.  Gilmour McGinn

Shankland

Id like to see Gilmour higher up the pitch in a “free role”, instead of sitting deep. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s great having these ideas. It’s also good that the ability to change half the team in a match coincide with our best squad in decades imo . 
Having a coach with the knowledge and smarts that Clarke undoubtedly has is such an asset. 
looking forward to next Friday already, thinking it’s the toughest run out pre tournament. 
sure Ferguson will get his chance 

🖖🥃

9 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

As much as i love Steve Clarke and think he is a legend, for me he plays it too safe at times. There has been at times during the previous qualifying campaigns where we have played essentially the same shape/first 11 and there hasn't been much of a plan b so to speak. Understandably he has been trying to keep a settled team but we are very predictable at times (Ukraine play off comes to mind and we were totally outplayed). 

Now is definitely the time to try out Christie in a deeper role and to fit Ferguson into the team before the Euros as we will need to adapt against better opposition IMO and we have a lot of good players bang in form sitting on the bench which is a waste.

I definitely think Christie should be in the McGregor role for these upcoming games. If he impresses, which I'm sure he will, maybe Clarke will keep him there for the forseeable. I like McGregor, but Christie has far more strings to his bow, including the abilities to play defensive mid, which none of us were aware of until recently.

Ferguson is the dillemma. McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour are just too good to drop. Unfortunately that means he will likely be limited to bench appearances at the Euros.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I definitely think Christie should be in the McGregor role for these upcoming games. If he impresses, which I'm sure he will, maybe Clarke will keep him there for the forseeable. I like McGregor, but Christie has far more strings to his bow, including the abilities to play defensive mid, which none of us were aware of until recently.

Ferguson is the dillemma. McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour are just too good to drop. Unfortunately that means he will likely be limited to bench appearances at the Euros.

The bench needs to be very good too. 3 huge games in 9 days. I'd expect us to make at least 4 subs a game. Most of those will be the front 5. We shouldn't really be playing the same 11 every game. The top teams never do that.

Go Spain 2010-12 and just don't play a striker.

Given how McTominay scores his goals he's arguably the best finisher in the whole squad so him as most advanced player and then McGinn-Ferguson behind with Gilmour-McGregor as the pivot, I'd be interested to see that in action for a game or two.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree with all of this 100 percent, McGregor is a good player but there is something lacking in his game for me, he doesn't get enough assists or goals considering how tidy he is on the ball, doesn't quite have that thread through the needle type pass and lacks pace. Christie doesn't have the best passing but is pretty good at most other things and is dangerous once he gets in the last third, I would like to see him given his opportunity to replace Mcgregor as he can bring another dimension to the team coming from the deeper ends of the pitch and drive the team forward with his dribbling as he has that in him. 

I actually think Ferguson or Mctominay would do quite well in that false 9 type role but doubt we will see that in any of the important games coming up but would be ideal to try out during the next two frendlies to test this out.

20 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Thinking about it, I’d also like to see 4/2/3/1

Patterson Souttar/Hendry Tierney Robertson

Ferguson.     Christie

McTominay.  Gilmour McGinn

Shankland

Id like to see Gilmour higher up the pitch in a “free role”, instead of sitting deep. 

Can i ask your thought process behind Gilmour playing higher up as we have so many options in that area already? Gilmour's shooting and scoring prowess needs a lot of work still, don't think he's quite got that natural goal instinct 

13 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Can i ask your thought process behind Gilmour playing higher up as we have so many options in that area already? Gilmour's shooting and scoring prowess needs a lot of work still, don't think he's quite got that natural goal instinct 

I’d like to see him playing in a more offensive role, I think he’s an excellent passer of the ball and is capable of unlocking opposition defences, providing assists for our other attackers. And I don’t like seeing him as our last midfielder, sitting in front of our centre halfs.  

9 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’d like to see him playing in a more offensive role, I think he’s an excellent passer of the ball and is capable of unlocking opposition defences, providing assists for our other attackers. And I don’t like seeing him as our last midfielder, sitting in front of our centre halfs.  

I think Gilmour is played in the pivot as there has always been players who can't play that position and have been deemed as Cams so he's never had the chance to flourish there. Realistically this ain't gonna happen in this Scotland team due to there being mcginn, Ferguson, mctominay, Christie, Armstrong, potentially doak and fraser if picked in future and some others and Gilmour will be continued in that number 6 role as we will have to leave out quality players otherwise. Wouldn't mind seeing it in the upcomong friendlies as he could be used there as a plan b option late on in games. 

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

“Cams”? That’s a new one on me. Glad we seem to have plenty of them though, don’t want to be caught short of Cams.

Central attacking midfielders lol

17 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

OK, seems obvious now. Thought it was some new wanky phrase like ‘double pivot’ or ‘low block’.

Hahaha fucking hell, just coudlnt be arsed typing out the whole sentence so apologies for any confusion

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

OK, seems obvious now. Thought it was some new wanky phrase like ‘double pivot’ or ‘low block’.

It's an abbreviation comes from the Fifa computer game.

Just wait till you find out about Registas and Raumsdeuters from the Football Manager game. 😛

Gilmour plays deep because of his ability to take the ball under pressure, get turned and find a forward pass. 

If he was to play further forward then it doesnt play to his strengths. The further forward you play the less options there are for a forward pass. Ie if he was to play where McGinn / McTom currently do then he only really has the CF or the other attacking Mid to play to. 

However the main reason he doesnt play there imo is that he cant beat a man. Gilmour isnt particuarly quick over 5/10 yards, doesnt have dribbling skills, doesnt have the physical attributes that McGinn & McTom do in order to hold off a player and get a shot away etc and actually doesnt appear to have the eye for goal that the above players have. He only has 1 senior goal to his name.

Glimour is a superb deep lying playmaker. He can set and control the tempo of the team. He ticks every box in that regard. He does need somebody defensively minded beside him though.

57 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour plays deep because of his ability to take the ball under pressure, get turned and find a forward pass. 

If he was to play further forward then it doesnt play to his strengths. The further forward you play the less options there are for a forward pass. Ie if he was to play where McGinn / McTom currently do then he only really has the CF or the other attacking Mid to play to. 

However the main reason he doesnt play there imo is that he cant beat a man. Gilmour isnt particuarly quick over 5/10 yards, doesnt have dribbling skills, doesnt have the physical attributes that McGinn & McTom do in order to hold off a player and get a shot away etc and actually doesnt appear to have the eye for goal that the above players have. He only has 1 senior goal to his name.

Glimour is a superb deep lying playmaker. He can set and control the tempo of the team. He ticks every box in that regard. He does need somebody defensively minded beside him though.

I really want to see Christie and Gilmour in a midfield partnership against the Dutch.  In my mind the objectives for this camp, are settle on our goalkeepers, defenders and deep lying midfielders.  Next pre-tournament camp will be (fitness dependent), consider the likes of Fraser and if he makes the tournament or not, perhaps also Turnbull will be under consideration.  

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I really want to see Christie and Gilmour in a midfield partnership against the Dutch.  In my mind the objectives for this camp, are settle on our goalkeepers, defenders and deep lying midfielders.  Next pre-tournament camp will be (fitness dependent), consider the likes of Fraser and if he makes the tournament or not, perhaps also Turnbull will be under consideration.  

Turnbull won't get in as long as Ferguson is around. Don't think he's even scored for Cardiff yet. Fraser IMO is a must as he offers something different.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I get what you are saying, but there’s something in the back of my mind telling me that playing Gilmour in this role isn’t getting the most out of him. 
If you look at the team I’ve selected in my previous post. I have Ferguson and Christie playing as the deep sitting midfielders in a double pivot. 
Although I have Gilmour in the attacking midfield centre position. I’d give him more of a “free” role. I’d give him the freedom to move where he feels he can influence the game. Sometimes that would mean dropping deep, sometimes staying higher up the pitch. I feel Gilmour has the ability to find and utilise space in an offensive manner if he was encouraged to do so. 
Maybe I’m wrong but I’d like to see him given more of a license to roam and get involved in different areas of the pitch, rather than spending the majority of his time sitting deep in front of the defence. 
I think this could work if we had a good solid midfield pairing like Ferguson and Christie to give Gilmour the freedom to move around the pitch and get involved higher up the pitch. I’d like to see if his ability to find space, his passing ability and his intelligence can be utilised in a more offensive capacity.

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I get what you are saying, but there’s something in the back of my mind telling me that playing Gilmour in this role isn’t getting the most out of him. 
If you look at the team I’ve selected in my previous post. I have Ferguson and Christie playing as the deep sitting midfielders in a double pivot. 
Although I have Gilmour in the attacking midfield centre position. I’d give him more of a “free” role. I’d give him the freedom to move where he feels he can influence the game. Sometimes that would mean dropping deep, sometimes staying higher up the pitch. I feel Gilmour has the ability to find and utilise space in an offensive manner if he was encouraged to do so. 
Maybe I’m wrong but I’d like to see him given more of a license to roam and get involved in different areas of the pitch, rather than spending the majority of his time sitting deep in front of the defence. 
I think this could work if we had a good solid midfield pairing like Ferguson and Christie to give Gilmour the freedom to move around the pitch and get involved higher up the pitch. I’d like to see if his ability to find space, his passing ability and his intelligence can be utilised in a more offensive capacity.

Ferguson plays as an attacking mid in Italy. Would be slightly strange to play him deeper and play Gilmour further forward. Effectively playing each of them in each others position.

Gilmour doesnt need to sit in front of the defence if we had a defensive mid playing beside him.

If you watch Gilmour, a lot of his passes are sideways and backwards. Thats because he is moving around the opposition and waiting for the opportunity to pass forward. If he was playing further forward he wouldnt be making these same passes. 

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ferguson plays as an attacking mid in Italy. Would be slightly strange to play him deeper and play Gilmour further forward. Effectively playing each of them in each others position.

Gilmour doesnt need to sit in front of the defence if we had a defensive mid playing beside him.

If you watch Gilmour, a lot of his passes are sideways and backwards. Thats because he is moving around the opposition and waiting for the opportunity to pass forward. If he was playing further forward he wouldnt be making these same passes. 

Ferguson has played deeper when he was playing in Scotland, and he’s all over the pitch for Bologna. I think him and Christie would be a good partnership, both are good in possession, they’ve got decent physicality and both are capable of moving forward when the opportunity arises. I think they’d compliment each other nicely. 
I’ve seen every game Gilmour has played for Scotland and a decent amount of his games for Norwich and Brighton. I think needs encouraged to spend less time so deep for Scotland. His role at Brighton means he’s going to be spending the majority of games sitting deep.  I think the personnel I’ve chosen and the 4/2/3/1 would allow him to go and get more involved in different areas of the pitch. I think he just needs a little encouragement and Clarke giving him some timely reminders from the touch line. Just my opinion.

Edited by Scot1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:21 AM, The Black Bra said:

Never heard of it either, total wank chat like the pivot etc 🤣

23 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Turnbull is fucking dung

17 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Gilmour is super talented and will be able to play any number of centre midfield role. His shooting and that quick yard of pace to go past 1 or 2 players are his biggest weaknesses though. Any time he goes past someone is usually from his great close control of the ball/positioning of his body when receiving the ball rather than his physique and sprinting past folk. However in the CAM, he would be great at threading those little passes through but then you would be wasting the talents of other CM's we have so the balance would be off IMO

H