Euros squad current situations - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euros squad current situations

syecosse

Looking at current situations of the squad.

KEEPERS

Gunn, if fit cannot see him losing No1, regularly plays for Norwich.

Back ups Hearts being key Clark doing well.

Gordon not so much gametime since coming back but may be good to have around squad.

wish MCCrorie had gone on loan or left, Kelly probably if Gordon does not go, cannot think of anyone else.

DEFENDERS 

RB worrying at present Hickeys injury hopefully available, Patterson not playing but would imagine be still part of the squad, not a fan of Ralston, possible Livramento, Gray call ups or Ashby just returning from injury. Max johnstone getting the odd start in Austria.

LB if fit Robertson and Tierney(LB CB),  Taylor as possible back up but again not amazing. Doig is doing well in Italy.

CB Tierney  LCB if fit, Mckenna seems to be getting decent gametime now, Porteus not doing great at Watford it seems, Cooper not playing, Hendry team are struggling in Saudi but not sure of form, Hanley in and out of starting line up since injury oddly McLean playing a lot at Norwich at CB, Cooper hardly plays now, Hyam seems to be getting  back to his best after injury. Souttar is also playing well. 

Others Welsh getting a run out at Celtic, Binks in and out at Coventry and Bowat regular in side doing well in the Austrian Prem. 

MIDFIELD

Going to be difficult to choose 

Doing well Gilmour, Ferguson Cairney, Mcginn, Armstrong,  Christie and when played further forward Mctominay only worry is Mcgregors form. Jack also hit and miss. 

Wingers 

Fraser finding form at Southampton 

Doak will he get any gametime when he returns.

Brown more a winger than striker, think people do not understand his position, seems to be doing well on the wing for Luton.

Is Barnes actually going to be included rumours seemed that he would have if not for injurys.

Strikers

Shankland obvious from player.

Adams back scoring regularly 

Dykes not sure what is happening with him 

Conway seems hit and miss at the moment. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a myth that Doig is doing well. This season he lost his place in Verona side and since moving to Sassuolo has not played at all.

Brown is almost certainly out with injury as is Nisbet. 

Our squad will probably be something like this:-

Gunn, Clark, Kelly

Hickey (if fit), Patterson, Porteous, Hendry, Hanley, Souttar, Robertson, Tierney

McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Ferguson, McLean, Gilmour, Christie, Armstrong

Dykes, Adams, Shankland, Fraser

Edited by Caledonian Craig

31 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Bit of a myth that Doig is doing well. This season he lost his place in Verona side and since moving to Sassuolo has not played at all.

Gunn, Clark, Kelly

Hickey (if fit), Patterson, Porteous, Hendry, Hanley, Souttar, Robertson, Tierney

Think your squad is almost bang on but McKenna might come in if he keeps playing for Copenhagen. Porteous dropping out is looking most likely but Hanley and Souttar are always at risk of injury. 

Also, Doig has played 5No. 90mins since he joined Sassoulo.

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan
Accidental post!

Just now, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Think your squad is almost bang on but McKenna might come in if he keeps playing for Copenhagen. Porteous dropping out is looking most likely but Hanley and Souttar are always at risk of injury. 

Also, Doig

Ah yes of course....McKenna. He will go for sure in place of Souttar I would say.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

😂

Anyways Doig could not even force his way into the squad when Robertson and Tierney were injured so cannot see him managing it if both are fit.

He was captain of the under 21s who are doing well so it would be good to see him go back and qualify for next years Euros. 

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah yes of course....McKenna. He will go for sure in place of Souttar I would say.

It might end up being Porteous that misses out if he can't nail down a starting slot at Watford again. You'd think Cooper is already out. Souttar seems to be first pick at Rangers now. Which is excellent. Hanley was captain for Norwich yesterday, so I think he is officially back in the mix.

Probable CBs: Tierney, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Souttar. I think 5 is enough knowing McLean and McTominay could both slot in in an emergency.

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gunn, Clark, Kelly

I think it'll be Gordon over Kelly. His experience in the squad is much more valuable than taking a player who 100% won't play and is not a future prospect either. 

5 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Also, Doig has played 5No. 90mins since he joined Sassoulo.

Played the full 90 minutes yesterday (albeit Sassoulo got beat).

If Robertson and Tierney are both fit he doesn't go, but if one of them doesn't make it, I'd take him.

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I would take Gordon in a shot over Kelly and Clark but will Steve Clarke?

I think so, yeah. The 3rd goalkeeper slot is generally the most useless in the squad as 999 times out of a thousand, they won't even get a sub appearance. Much better to take someone along that went to the last tournament and has bags of experience.

I wouldn't write off Gordon usurping Clark at Hearts, and moving up the pecking order.

I don't think Porteous will miss out as he's done well for us despite his club form and McKenna will almost certainly go as a replacement for Tierney (as I don't expect him to play all the matches). That means you might have two places up for grabs and Clarke will choose between Hendry, Hanley and Souttar.  Personally, I'd take Souttar for sure out of those three and then Hanley.

I think it's probably settled that Shankland will go now that Brown is injured so the only surprises would be seeing Harvey Barnes and/or Ryan Fraser.

23 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gunn, Clark, Kelly

Kelly should be nowhere near the squad. 

On 2/25/2024 at 11:02 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Gunn, Clark, Kelly

I'd say the only at-risk names on the list would be Kelly, Hanley, McLean, Fraser. Personally, I'd go for Gordon, Mckenna, Cairney, Barnes (assuming he declares). I'd be very suprised if anyone else broke into the squad.

Good topic.

Re: Souttar - if fit and in form, which was always the worry, we really don't have a centre back nearly as good as him on his day. Other CBs, interesting with Porteous, I've always rated his game with Scotland, Watford aren't doing well at the minute. We have a few more options in this position than we have had typically of recent years, but still not overly blessed.

On forwards/wingers, Fraser's form this season really does raise a query for Clarke, who's poor relationship with Fraser has been made probably more public than he would like. Whether a possible Fraser inclusion brings a question over Christie as well as Christie's recent position change deeper in the midfield, is very interesting. The question with Shankland despite his form was always whether Clarke preferred the option to use Brown for his pace. That should be sealed now with Brown's injury.

Midfield I have absolutely no concerns over unless we get some injuries creeping in. Open questions include Jack's form, does he miss out if he can't get in a competitive Rangers midfield. Also McLean who has always been the very obvious "next one out" for some years, but his ability to cover CB is a point and he also I'm sure is very liked and helpful to have around the squad.

15 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Good topic.

Re: Souttar - if fit and in form, which was always the worry, we really don't have a centre back nearly as good as him on his day. Other CBs, interesting with Porteous, I've always rated his game with Scotland, Watford aren't doing well at the minute. We have a few more options in this position than we have had typically of recent years, but still not overly blessed.

On forwards/wingers, Fraser's form this season really does raise a query for Clarke, who's poor relationship with Fraser has been made probably more public than he would like. Whether a possible Fraser inclusion brings a question over Christie as well as Christie's recent position change deeper in the midfield, is very interesting. The question with Shankland despite his form was always whether Clarke preferred the option to use Brown for his pace. That should be sealed now with Brown's injury.

Midfield I have absolutely no concerns over unless we get some injuries creeping in. Open questions include Jack's form, does he miss out if he can't get in a competitive Rangers midfield. Also McLean who has always been the very obvious "next one out" for some years, but his ability to cover CB is a point and he also I'm sure is very liked and helpful to have around the squad.

Totally agree with nearly everything you've written apart from the re-emergence of Fraser being a potential threat to Christie's inclusion. What Christie's emergence as a deeper midfielder may have done is end Ryan Jacks international career unless he plays a pivotal role for Rangers from now until the seasons end.

I'd go as far as to say Christie deserves to start next to Gilmour against Netherlands in the friendly & if they pairing works well against Germany also. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪

My baring injuries automatic choices would be

GK. Gunn, Clark, Gordon

FB. Robbo, Hickey , Patterson

CD.  Tierney, Souttar, McKenna

MID. McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Christie , McGregor , Ferguson, McLean

ATTACK. Adams , Shankland, Dykes, Fraser, Barnes.

That's 21 & a bit defensively light so 1 from Hanley, Hendry, Porteous & in my dreamy head the last place goes to Livramento or Archie Gray😊

Edited by theabsentee

19 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

My baring injuries automatic choices would be

GK. Gunn, Clark, Gordon

FB. Robbo, Hickey , Patterson

CD.  Tierney, Souttar, McKenna

MID. McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Christie , McGregor , Ferguson, McLean

ATTACK. Adams , Shankland, Dykes, Fraser, Barnes.

That's 21 & a bit defensively light so 1 from Hanley, Hendry, Porteous & in my dreamy head the last place goes to Livramento or Archie Gray😊

I think you have it spot on there baring injuries of course as stated. I would go for the same selection with the two remaining places going to ideally two centre backs.

Hickey and Tierney are the two major doubts. Hickey has been injured since Oct and I don't think even his club manager knows when he is due to return. Tierney is massively injury prone and who knows if he can stay well clear of injuries between now and this summer.

What position is Archie Gray? I know he's English but qualifies to play for us through his dad & heard good positive reviews about him.

Edited by DesiScotsman