Euro 2024 Draw - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 Draw

todd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memories of France 98 playing the first game.

Not a bad group. Hungary and the Swiss are hard to beat teams but you'd rather play them and some of the others when you look at the group Albania and Austria are in.

Trick is not to put everything in the first game and then come out flat for the other two. 4 points is the formula here and it can be done.

1 minute ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Some good some bad with that draw. Germany beatable, Hungary considerably better than most casual fans will expect, Swiss tough but at least it’s not Italy.

Hungary did well in the last euros, draw v France (albeit at "home") and then they were about 5 minutes from beating Germany in Munich.

Since then they've had good results in nations league and won the qualifying group so they are a legitimate pot 2 team now.

Would rather Germany just beat Swiss and Hungary but that's far from certain given how mediocre their results have been for the last few years.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Germany, Hungary and Switzerland.

I mean, could that actually be any kinder?

Albania from Pot 2 would've been kinder, as would any of the play-off winners (except Ukraine, possibly Poland) from Pot 4.

It's certainly a group we can get through though.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hungary did well in the last euros, draw v France (albeit at "home") and then they were about 5 minutes from beating Germany in Munich.

Since then they've had good results in nations league and won the qualifying group so they are a legitimate pot 2 team now.

Would rather Germany just beat Swiss and Hungary but that's far from certain given how mediocre their results have been for the last few years.

I know what you mean, sometimes you want an unbeatable team in your group just to make the goal that bit clearer.

Well, compared the last EURO draw I am optimistic.  Germany, playing the hosts which is exciting, they will have a ton of pressure on them and struggling.  Hungary, are a great team but so that will be hard maybe the hardest in terms of what we want to get from the game and then there is Switzerland, who if their qualification is anything to go by are below us in terms of ability.  We can definitely compete in this group and that's massive. 

Edited by romanticscot

5 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I know what you mean, sometimes you want an unbeatable team in your group just to make the goal that bit clearer.

Wales were in the euros group with Swiss last time. They drew 1-1 and then beat Turkey 2-0 and got through as one of the 3rd place sides.

That has to be the formula, put everything in to the Hungary game, win that and get a draw off Swiss and that should be enough to get a historic knock out place and then who knows what could happen...

Not particularly keen on playing any of those teams, especially Switzerland. Hard to explain. They're kind of not big enough that you'd relish the chance of a glamorous shock upset as an underdog, but not small enough to have confidence or expectation of beating. Hungary probably similar.  

On the bright side, I suppose we must be better than we were when we last played Germany competitively, and arguably, relatively better than when we last played the host nation in a tournament(s)

One of those that could've been better and could've been worse.

Any of the Pot 1 teams would've been tough so I'd have taken Germany beforehand. I'm just relieved we didn't get England.

Hungary are a really good side and have had some great results recently but again, I'm ok with that.

From Pot 4, I'd have much preferred getting a play-off team but at least we didn't get Italy.

I'm also glad we've got the Germans in the opening game because wouldn't like to be playing them in the 3rd game needing a draw or a win to qualify. 

18 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Presume Germany will play the opening game, are there rules on who they play first from the group?

I take it you weren't watching it as it happened?

It's us mate, it's us!

Edited by todd