Che Adams should be nowhere near this team - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams should be nowhere near this team

TartanTamsie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Dykes

Shankland

going to germany.

Che Adams not for me.

Jacob Brown not for me.

Anyone else on Clarkes radar ?

Dykes + Adams are pretty much nailed on for Germany 🇩🇪 

The remaining positions for attack minded players is fairly open IMO 

S.Clarke can’t rate Shankland that much as he’s been limited him to only a few minutes here and there! 

Jacob Brown has been loyal to S.Clarke and always turns up but after being given the starting role against Norway he had a poor game imo and should have scored a guilt edged chance. 

I listened to a podcast on the BBC the other day and one pundit mentioned Oli McBurnie 😳 now he should be nowhere near the squad - he’d have to score 10+ goals between now and the end of the season to be even considered and that’s not going to happen! 

Kevin Nisbet hasn’t been selected recently? I haven’t checked but is this due to injury? Again he’s been limited to game time here and there….. 

Ryan Christie has been effective and a regular for S.Clarke but not much of a goal threat, but pretty sure he’ll be going to Germany 

With those names mentioned above, you could argue that maybe a couple of spaces are up for grabs to catch Clarkes eye between now and June next year, but with Clarke being so loyal you would not be surprised if he sticks with what’s he’s got. Just like he did for Euro 2020/21 

You ask of any other players on the radar ? I’m sure there is, but is Gemmill willing to select / play young emerging talent and also if Clarke wants to bring youth in?? 

Harvey Barnes has been mentioned and Clarke remains tight lipped on the situation but if he performs / plays well for Newcastle then I think it’s possible he gets the nod……. 

Ben Doak not an out + out Striker but looks like he is the real deal and would be an amazing addition imo and well worth taking him to Germany. 

Tommy Conway at Bristol City is a prospect and if he goes on a scoring run for them, then you never know? Clarke did take him along to the training camp prior to the Norway game in June this year. 

Ross Stewart now at Southampton, just back from injury showed promise at Sunderland, a goal ever other game which is probably more than any of the names mentioned above but would be a similar type player to Dykes. Again Clarke must have him in his thoughts. 

Kieron Bowie U21’s another potential prospect but too soon for Germany 

Dire Mebude U21’s now in Belgium showed promise whilst at Man City before being sold with a buy back clause! Again if he keeps his head down I’m sure we’ll see more of this kid going forward….. 

Emilio Lawrence U21’s but yet to be given a start under Gemmill, Man City signed him from Everton and is supposedly a wonder kid - one for the future but needs games for Scotland before Engerland come sniffing!! 

Rory Wilson U21’s a goal scoring machine whilst at Rangers and then Aston Villa come in for him, doing well at Villa supposedly, still only 18 but highly rated and fingers crossed he can be a scoring sensation in the future for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

8 hours ago, broraboy said:

S.Clarke can’t rate Shankland that much as he’s been limited him to only a few minutes here and there! 

Jacob Brown has been loyal to S.Clarke and always turns up but after being given the starting role against Norway he had a poor game imo and should have scored a guilt edged chance. 

I listened to a podcast on the BBC the other day and one pundit mentioned Oli McBurnie 😳 now he should be nowhere near the squad - he’d have to score 10+ goals between now and the end of the season to be even considered and that’s not going to happen! 

Kevin Nisbet hasn’t been selected recently? I haven’t checked but is this due to injury? Again he’s been limited to game time here and there….. 

Ryan Christie has been effective and a regular for S.Clarke but not much of a goal threat, but pretty sure he’ll be going to Germany 

With those names mentioned above, you could argue that maybe a couple of spaces are up for grabs to catch Clarkes eye between now and June next year, but with Clarke being so loyal you would not be surprised if he sticks with what’s he’s got. Just like he did for Euro 2020/21 

You ask of any other players on the radar ? I’m sure there is, but is Gemmill willing to select / play young emerging talent and also if Clarke wants to bring youth in?? 

Harvey Barnes has been mentioned and Clarke remains tight lipped on the situation but if he performs / plays well for Newcastle then I think it’s possible he gets the nod……. 

Ben Doak not an out + out Striker but looks like he is the real deal and would be an amazing addition imo and well worth taking him to Germany. 

Tommy Conway at Bristol City is a prospect and if he goes on a scoring run for them, then you never know? Clarke did take him along to the training camp prior to the Norway game in June this year. 

Ross Stewart now at Southampton, just back from injury showed promise at Sunderland, a goal ever other game which is probably more than any of the names mentioned above but would be a similar type player to Dykes. Again Clarke must have him in his thoughts. 

Dire Mebude U21’s now in Belgium showed promise whilst at Man City before being sold with a buy back clause! Again if he keeps his head down I’m sure we’ll see more of this kid going forward….. 

Emilio Lawrence U21’s but yet to be given a start under Gemmill, Man City signed him from Everton and is supposedly a wonder kid - one for the future but needs games for Scotland before Engerland come sniffing!! 

Rory Wilson U21’s a goal scoring machine whilst at Rangers and then Aston Villa come in for him, doing well at Villa supposedly, still only 18 but highly rated and fingers crossed he can be a scoring sensation in the future for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I know Christie is sometimes listed as a forward in the squad releases but in reality he is an attacking midfielder the same as McGinn, Armstrong and Ferguson. 

With a 23 man squad I really cant see Clarke taking more than 3 strikers given we only ever play with one up top. Dykes, Adams and one other. At the moment id bet that being Shankland but he is by no means certain.

A good few of the names you mention are attacking mids / wingers. I think they are more likely to be competing for those roles that the sole striker ones.

I'm not sure Shankland will make the squad after Clarke brought on Dykes for Brown against Norway.  I'm quite interested to see how Ross Stewart gets on as he may be able to break into the squad.

I don't really see how Ryan Fraser has burned his bridges with Scotland. He played in the last round of NL games.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We scored 17 goals in qualification which is more than the vast majority of the qualifiers for the finals if you take away the total minows from the 6 team groups.

Don't really care if Adams and Dykes don't score many, they are part of a set up that scores enough goals.

For what it's worth McBurnie is my 3rd choice.

McBurnie 3rd choice ?? 
Everyone entitled to their view / opinion 👍 

S.Clarke gave McBurnie a dozen or so games for Scotland and Zero goals 

McBurnie has hardly featured for Sheffield Utd this season, his only goal this season a penalty at Old Trafford……

I personally think he’d be a poor option to bring to Germany!!
L.Shankland + J.Brown are ahead of him going by S.Clarkes selections of late. 

I’d rather S.clarke took Youth / U21 player instead of McBurnie

22 minutes ago, broraboy said:

McBurnie 3rd choice ?? 
Everyone entitled to their view / opinion 👍 

S.Clarke gave McBurnie a dozen or so games for Scotland and Zero goals 

McBurnie has hardly featured for Sheffield Utd this season, his only goal this season a penalty at Old Trafford……

I personally think he’d be a poor option to bring to Germany!!
L.Shankland + J.Brown are ahead of him going by S.Clarkes selections of late. 

I’d rather S.clarke took Youth / U21 player instead of McBurnie

Think McBurnie has started every game he has been fit for, his ability to stay injury free is nearly as bad as Tierneys.

I don't rate Shankland or Brown and they have had plenty time to prove themselves at club level.

Hopefuly one of our other prospects will kick on though.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We scored 17 goals in qualification which is more than the vast majority of the qualifiers for the finals if you take away the total minows from the 6 team groups.

Don't really care if Adams and Dykes don't score many, they are part of a set up that scores enough goals.

For what it's worth McBurnie is my 3rd choice.

McBurnie 3rd choice 😂

On 11/24/2023 at 3:09 PM, broraboy said:

"Clarke being so loyal you would not be surprised if he sticks with what’s he’s got. Just like he did for Euro 2020/21" 

I like how much detail you've put into your post, and I'm definitely focusing on the wrong thing, but Clarke didn't stick with what he had last time. If memory serves, Adams only made his debut in the March before the Euros. I'm also fairly certain Nisbet had no involvement before then as well. 

Clarke rightly gets branded with this "loyal to his players" tag. But that is only true up to a point. 

Turnbull, Gilmour, Patterson, Adams and Nisbet all made their debuts in 2021. That's 5 new players added to our squad relatively last minute. 

30 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

"Clarke being so loyal you would not be surprised if he sticks with what’s he’s got. Just like he did for Euro 2020/21" 

I like how much detail you've put into your post, and I'm definitely focusing on the wrong thing, but Clarke didn't stick with what he had last time. If memory serves, Adams only made his debut in the March before the Euros. I'm also fairly certain Nisbet had no involvement before then as well. 

Clarke rightly gets branded with this "loyal to his players" tag. But that is only true up to a point. 

Turnbull, Gilmour, Patterson, Adams and Nisbet all made their debuts in 2021. That's 5 new players added to our squad relatively last minute. 

I take your point but this time is a little different as there are three less places up for grabs than there were for the last Euros.

Of the 23 places most are already taken up by certs such as Angus Gunn, Aaron Hickey, Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Jack Hendry, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Scott McKenna, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Christie, Lewis Ferguson, Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams. That is 16 and two goalkeepers slots so another five places up for grabs for outfield players and at the top of that pecking order probably Grant Hanley (if he can return to full form and fitness), Liam Cooper, John Souttar, Ryan Jack, Lawrence Shankland and Jacob Brown. Wildcards to make a late rush being Ben Doak and David Turnbull.

Missed McLean, who I'd suggest would be in the second group. Interesting to see Christie playing in a deep midfield role for Bournemouth. That kind of flexibility might see him gamble with another attacker rather than include McLean and/or Jack. I'd still expect to see one, and I think McLean might be unlucky. I don't think Barnes is out of the equation.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I take your point but this time is a little different as there are three less places up for grabs than there were for the last Euros.

Of the 23 places most are already taken up by certs such as Angus Gunn, Aaron Hickey, Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Jack Hendry, Nathan Patterson, Ryan Porteous, Scott McKenna, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Christie, Lewis Ferguson, Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams. That is 16 and two goalkeepers slots so another five places up for grabs for outfield players and at the top of that pecking order probably Grant Hanley (if he can return to full form and fitness), Liam Cooper, John Souttar, Ryan Jack, Lawrence Shankland and Jacob Brown. Wildcards to make a late rush being Ben Doak and David Turnbull.

Agreed, we have a much more settled squad now, with a core group that Clarke wouldn't and shouldn't disrupt. But since Clarke came in he has steadily upgraded probably a dozen players. And I'm sure he'll still be open to new players coming in.

If Adams remains a non-scoring bench warmer for Southampton for the rest of the season, his place may not be as assured as we think. Especially if Stewart gets played ahead of him.

Ryan Fraser has a pretty decent chance of getting included. He and Doak are the only players of their type to be available. So, if Doak isn't deemed ready, I would want Fraser in the final 23. 

Turnbull is pretty much the only player of his kind. Currently highest scorer in Scotland (I think). The perfect player to have when plan A and plan B aren't working.

Edited by Tartan blood

Just now, Tartan blood said:

Agreed, we have a much more settled squad now, with a core group that Clarke wouldn't and shouldn't disrupt. But since Clarke came in he has steadily upgraded probably a dozen players. And I'm sure he'll still be open to new players coming in.

If Adams remains a non-scoring bench warmer for Southampton for the rest of the year, his place may not be as assured as we think. Especially if Stewart gets played ahead of him.

Ryan Fraser has a pretty decent chance of getting included. He and Doak are the only players of their type to be available. So, if Doak isn't deemed ready, I would want Fraser in the final 23. 

Turnbull is pretty much the only player of his kind. Currently highest scorer in Scotland (I think). The perfect player to have when plan A and plan B aren't working.

Yes there are a handful that could force their way into Clarke's plans. We will get a far better idea of who they may be when he names his squads for the pre-Euro friendlies. Anyone not in that squad (barring injuries) are surely not in his plans.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes there are a handful that could force their way into Clarke's plans. We will get a far better idea of who they may be when he names his squads for the pre-Euro friendlies. Anyone not in that squad (barring injuries) are surely not in his plans.

I quite enjoyed that "On the plane" series Hampden Roar did on their podcast last time around. It was fascinating to see how it evolved month to month. I'm sure they had Gilmour down as booking a beach holiday right up until the last moment. Then he goes on to get motm vs England.

My point being, even the March friendlies might not tell the full story. I really wish it was a 26 man squad. At last count, I had 20 out of the 23 as guaranteed picks. Not a lot of wiggle room for wildcards.

46 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I quite enjoyed that "On the plane" series Hampden Roar did on their podcast last time around. It was fascinating to see how it evolved month to month. I'm sure they had Gilmour down as booking a beach holiday right up until the last moment. Then he goes on to get motm vs England.

My point being, even the March friendlies might not tell the full story. I really wish it was a 26 man squad. At last count, I had 20 out of the 23 as guaranteed picks. Not a lot of wiggle room for wildcards.

Billy Gilmour was a special case last time though. He was impressing for Chelsea in midfield and was seen as an.upgrade on midfielders in.or around our squad at that time. The closest we have to him this time around is Ben Doak. Any others pressing for inclusion would tend to be tried and tested players like Fraser, Turnbull, Jack and Hanley.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Billy Gilmour was a special case last time though. He was impressing for Chelsea in midfield and was seen as an.upgrade on midfielders in.or around our squad at that time. The closest we have to him this time around is Ben Doak. Any others pressing for inclusion would tend to be tried and tested players like Fraser, Turnbull, Jack and Hanley.

I'm surprised every year by the seemingly random emergence of talent sprouting through the cracks. Or even just unexpected form from people we already know. 

Turnbull and Patterson were in the same boat as Gilmour. Both had a rich spell of form after the New Year. However, we did have 3 extra slots to fill. 

Saying all that, I think you're right. Doak is the only one that seems likely to force his way in. Turnbull and Fraser may be ressurected though. 

In my eyes, Hanley is one of the guaranteed players going to the Euros. Injury is the only thing that'll stop Clarke picking him. Cooper and Souttar are the 2 that might not make the cut.

Edited by Tartan blood

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm surprised every year by the seemingly random emergence of talent sprouting through the cracks. Or even just unexpected form from people we already know. 

Turnbull and Patterson were in the same boat as Gilmour. Both had a rich spell of form after the New Year. However, we did have 3 extra slots to fill. 

Saying all that, I think you're right. Doak is the only one that seems likely to force his way in. Turnbull and Fraser may be ressurected though. 

In my eyes, Hanley is one of the guaranteed players going to the Euros. Injury is the only thing that'll stop Clarke picking him. Cooper and Souttar are the 2 that might not make the cut.

Yes I agree about Grant Hanley.

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Armstrong?

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Armstrong?

I counted 21 that were basically guaranteed to make it. Armstrong, Hanley and McLean being part of that.

I didn't include Cooper or Jack, who could easily be the final 2. 

Outside of that there is Turnbull, Fraser, Doak, Stewart, Brown, Shankland, Nisbet and Souttar. All of those names could justify inclusion.

Clarke is going to have a nightmare choosing his squad. 

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I counted 21 that were basically guaranteed to make it. Armstrong, Hanley and McLean being part of that.

I didn't include Cooper or Jack, who could easily be the final 2. 

Outside of that there is Turnbull, Fraser, Doak, Stewart, Brown, Shankland, Nisbet and Souttar. All of those names could justify inclusion.

Clarke is going to have a nightmare choosing his squad. 

I am pretty sure there will be one or two injuries too so that may make his selection worries a little less of a problem.

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am pretty sure there will be one or two injuries too so that may make his selection worries a little less of a problem.

Yeah, the chances of everyone being fit come June is pretty slim. Fingers crossed none of the casualties are McTominay, McGinn, Tierney or Robertson. The 4 players that aren't replaceable.