Injury Watch - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Thomas Frank basically heavily implying that Hickey has no chance. For Tierney. I suppose it depends on how bad the strain is. 

The full Thomas Frank quote is a lot more neutral than the actual headline:

“He's progressing," Frank said.

"As he's been out for so long I’m not counting on [him playing this season] but let’s see what happens in the next weeks - right now I’m not expecting it.

"I guess it's not fantastic [for his Euros chances] but that’s not for me to judge.”

Headline writers will look to include the most dramatic quote, but they could have as easily focused on the "he's progressing" instead of the "not fantastic".

Also, as others have said, Brentford are 10 points ahead of third bottom with four games to play. They're unlikely to throw in a long-term injured player into one of those four games, unless they have an injury crisis. And the last of those four games is on 19 May, just under four weeks before our opening game against Germany and just over three weeks from now, and Scotland v Germany is understandably not Thomas Frank's main focus.

So Hickey's got seven weeks to recover before the Euros, is making good progress, but is unlikely to play for his club team between now and the end of the season. Regardless of that not changing, the headline writers will be keen to rule Hickey in or out several times over between now and Steve Clarke announcing his squads for the Gibraltar and Finland friendlies and the tournament itself. 

43 minutes ago, Goozay said:

The full Thomas Frank quote is a lot more neutral than the actual headline:

“He's progressing," Frank said.

"As he's been out for so long I’m not counting on [him playing this season] but let’s see what happens in the next weeks - right now I’m not expecting it.

"I guess it's not fantastic [for his Euros chances] but that’s not for me to judge.”

Headline writers will look to include the most dramatic quote, but they could have as easily focused on the "he's progressing" instead of the "not fantastic".

Also, as others have said, Brentford are 10 points ahead of third bottom with four games to play. They're unlikely to throw in a long-term injured player into one of those four games, unless they have an injury crisis. And the last of those four games is on 19 May, just under four weeks before our opening game against Germany and just over three weeks from now, and Scotland v Germany is understandably not Thomas Frank's main focus.

So Hickey's got seven weeks to recover before the Euros, is making good progress, but is unlikely to play for his club team between now and the end of the season. Regardless of that not changing, the headline writers will be keen to rule Hickey in or out several times over between now and Steve Clarke announcing his squads for the Gibraltar and Finland friendlies and the tournament itself. 

I guess that's a more optimistic way of looking at it. I read it more as 'he has no chance but it's not my place to say that'. I hope you're right!

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is definitely the worst injury crisis we have had going into a major tournament (World Cup or Euros). Unbelievable how many key players we have been deprived of and are carrying knocks.

At least we're not going to get carried away on a wave of completely unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Hertsscot

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

At least we're not going to get carried away on a wave of completely unrealistic expectations.

I still fully expect posts on here calling for Clarke's head for anything from not selecting MLS players Gauld and Morgan or likes of McBurnie and England brigade players. It will happen of that I am sure.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I still fully expect posts on here calling for Clarke's head for anything from not selecting MLS players Gauld and Morgan or likes of McBurnie and England brigade players. It will happen of that I am sure.

He might have to select/ask all of them if this run of injuries continue!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

With a potential 26 man squad, and some key players out injured, we all expect the squad full of the best players available. Questions will be asked, and rightfully so when scrutinizing the big decisions. That, for me anyway wouldn't go as far as calling for his sack without thoughtful critique. I do expect Clarke to have a long think about his job post tournament, I hope we do well and its an easy decision to stay and for the majority of fans to want to keep him. 

Edited by romanticscot

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If he doesn't try Christie in his best position & we go out at the group stages then I'm not proud to say it but I'll be one of them.  

For now I'm trying to stay positive about the team & manager so let's hope Tierney, Hickey & Armstrong all make it & Clarke picks a balanced squad.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

So Ross Stewart is apparently ready to play again.

Good to hear, you never know as Southampton will be in the play offs if he gets 3 or 4 appearances & scores a couple of goals he might have a outside chance of making the 26.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

This is the only positive. I wouldn't say I'd be happy with three points and non qualification but I won't see that as a failure either.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

If he doesn't try Christie in his best position & we go out at the group stages then I'm not proud to say it but I'll be one of them.  

For now I'm trying to stay positive about the team & manager so let's hope Tierney, Hickey & Armstrong all make it & Clarke picks a balanced squad.

I've only seen clips of him playing further back but I've read the reviews. Is your thinking Christie + Gilmour then with McTominay  and McGinn further forward.  So, McTominay and Christie pretty much swapping positions? It does seem so obvious that there must be a reason he didn't do it. 

5 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

This is the only positive. I wouldn't say I'd be happy with three points and non qualification but I won't see that as a failure either.

I've only seen clips of him playing further back but I've read the reviews. Is your thinking Christie + Gilmour then with McTominay  and McGinn further forward.  So, McTominay and Christie pretty much swapping positions? It does seem so obvious that there must be a reason he didn't do it. 

We'll likely be the first team to end on 4 points and still not get one of the best third placed spots.  A new way for us to not reach the knockouts?

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is definitely the worst injury crisis we have had going into a major tournament (World Cup or Euros). Unbelievable how many key players we have been deprived of and are carrying knocks.

In 1978 we lost three quarters of a world class defence. McGrain, Jardine and McQueen were 3 of the best defenders in the world at that time. Jardine did play in the second game, but he hadn't fully recovered from his injury.

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

In 1978 we lost three quarters of a world class defence. McGrain, Jardine and McQueen were 3 of the best defenders in the world at that time. Jardine did play in the second game, but he hadn't fully recovered from his injury.

And Willie Donnachie was suspended for the Peru game.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

He might have to select/ask all of them if this run of injuries continue!!!!!

No because vast majority do not play wing-back where our problems are. And why tevisit players who have stated a burning drsire to represent England who are alteady in yheir squads?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

So you think that crisis was worse than this? Bearing in mind we have doubts over Armstrong, Gilmour and one or two others walking the injury tightrope plus Ferguson ruled out too.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 hours ago, todd said:

We'll likely be the first team to end on 4 points and still not get one of the best third placed spots.  A new way for us to not reach the knockouts?

Haha, that does sound like us. We're due a bit of good fortune in tournaments. We had plenty in qualifying but, as far back as I remember, we've never won a tournament game we didn't deserve to win. Others have. We had chances to win against Czechia and Croatia even if, certainly in the latter case, it would have been undeserved.