Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, exile said:

If I'm following correctly a draw would be the best result but a Spain win definitely would qualify us.

So I'll say right now I would happily take Spain 3 nil up in the first half, and going into the last ten minutes, and not a tense 0-0 with Haaland hovering.

Finding it a bit tense so might watch the second half of the rugger instead 😬 

13 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I’m doing both. Got the rugby on on the iPad. 

I’m bricking it. (Not sure why?)

J

Sometimes it feels like I jinx every result I watch so the rugby felt less significant! The words 'we only need a point blah blah' are never reassuring so would rather it was dealt with tonight...

15 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Sometimes it feels like I jinx every result I watch so the rugby felt less significant! The words 'we only need a point blah blah' are never reassuring so would rather it was dealt with tonight...

Agree 100%, all this talk of wanting a Norway win or a draw so we could win the group was mental. 

Done and dusted with two to spare!

J

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Only 7 goals to make up on Spain for us to win the group. If only they had disallowed that Spanish goal. They've got it in for us, I tell ye. 

We can be relaxed in the last 2 games anyway. Going to be a party atmosphere at Hampden?

The first time we have qualified for a tournament automatically and without having to rely on being best runner up or  anything like that since 1996.

5th (joint 5th with Spain) team to qualify for Euro 2024. What a difference from being the first European team eliminated from the World Cup 10 years ago. 

23 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Main aim is to get a pot 2 seeding now. Can't see Spain messing up the final two so pot 1 isn't happening but I assume something like 4 points would be o.k?

Our only chance of winning the group is for something outrageous to happen like Spain getting 2 men sent off early against Georgia or Cyprus. Or for us to beat Georgia and Norway 8-0 or something. 😂

4 points might be enough for pot 2 but I think 2 wins would guarantee it and that’s what we should be aiming for. 

44 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Our only chance of winning the group is for something outrageous to happen like Spain getting 2 men sent off early against Georgia or Cyprus. Or for us to beat Georgia and Norway 8-0 or something. 😂

4 points might be enough for pot 2 but I think 2 wins would guarantee it and that’s what we should be aiming for. 

6 points and we’re definitely pot 2. 
4 points and we’re pot 2 unless Austria win both their remaining games. 

Although there doesn’t seem to be much difference in quality between these pots. 

49 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Although there doesn’t seem to be much difference in quality between these pots. 

Nice one. We will be at Georgia then it's back to Hampden for a party where I trust we will also take care of Norway, especially at home. I think spring friendlies are when I would look to bring in some fresh players but Ferguson deserves some minutes, start him against Georgia.

45 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I only had a quick look earlier but I’m pretty sure Italy could catch us on GD if they win their last 3 games and we get 4 points from our last 2 games (assuming England win their group). 

I think Denmark or Slovenia could also finish second in their group on 19 points. We have a superior goal difference to all of them at the moment though so that’s in our favour. 

I looked it over, Austria are in the strongest position to end on 19 points playing the bottom two seeds.  Italy have England away and Ukraine away - both hard games, and then North Macedonia.  We want England to beat Italy at home and then the most that group can get is 16 points.  So, Austria will/should help their goal differential big time playing Estonia away, and then it's a somewhat of a tricky fixture in Azerbaijan. Now onto us - 4 points, it's going to be close, but 6 points and we have that all important 12th place to get us into pot 2 guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I only had a quick look earlier but I’m pretty sure Italy could catch us on GD if they win their last 3 games and we get 4 points from our last 2 games (assuming England win their group). 

If Italy win their last 3 games they could top the group and England will be second (depending on the score between them on Tuesday).

Edited by Toepoke

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

If Italy win their last 3 games they'll top the group and England will be second.

Wouldn’t that depend on the score when Italy go to Wembley? If Italy beat England by a single goal and England and Italy win their remaining games it would come down to goal difference and England’s GD is much better that Italy’s at the moment. 

Or am I missing something? 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Wouldn’t that depend on the score when Italy go to Wembley? If Italy beat England by a single goal and England and Italy win their remaining games it would come down to goal difference and England’s GD is much better that Italy’s at the moment. 

Or am I missing something? 

I edited it as soon as I posted it. You were in there fast for 3am! 😄

Probably immaterial anyway as I doubt Italy will win at Wembley. But hopefully they can get a result. Ideally if we can get Pot 2, I'd like England and Italy to be in there also, not sure if that's possible 🤔