Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, exile said:

So from memory, since our last win, all three results have gone against us, right?

They have all gone they way we thought they would. If that continues we’ll qualify on Sunday. 

If there’s a surprise win on Sunday then we go to Georgia knowing a win will seal our place in Germany. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Yip, three down three to go. 

I wonder if all those folk who had decided that we had already qualified, are just as confident now?

I never said we would qualify but I am absolutely confident. Last night was the match we were almost all expecting to lose but the manner in which we lost will have some getting worried

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I never said we would qualify but I am absolutely confident. Last night was the match we were almost all expecting to lose but the manner in which we lost will have some getting worried

Before last night, I was fairly confident that we would qualify, although I never expected it to be easy. I always thought that it would probably go down to the last game. I hope I am wrong. Not that I was expecting to get anything out of last nights game.

But as you say, it's the way in which we were robbed last night which now gives me major doubts. If it is purely down to footballing ability, then I think we still will qualify. EUFA made it blatantly clear last night that Spain must qualify at all costs. They effectively did that last night. IMO, it's now down to how badly they want Haaland at EURO 2024? Our biggest star is probably Robbo, but he is hardly box office material compared to Haaland. 

Just as well we have a play off place. I think we might need it.

If Norway don't win on Sunday, maybe UEFA could change some rules so that Haaland could transfer to Scotland just for these finals. Problem solved. 😉

13 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Although a draw would be good,I'd still be delighted with a Spain win on Sunday. We're going to be without Tierney and maybe Robertson for our next qualifiers so I'm not convinced we'd get two wins anyway.

Qualifying against Georgia would be awesome simply to see the celebrations. (That would require Norway beating Spain). But for the sake of my nerves, a commanding victory by Spain on Sunday will be fine.

It would be lovely to have an extra 2 matches as preparation for the Euros. Rather than having 2 high pressure games. Obviously we should still be trying to top the group, but Clarke might be more inclined to introduce future prospects like Doak. Give Ferguson more of a look in. Try Hickey in the Tierney role to see if he can do it. Etc etc.

30 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Qualifying against Georgia would be awesome simply to see the celebrations. (That would require Norway beating Spain). But for the sake of my nerves, a commanding victory by Spain on Sunday will be fine.

It would be lovely to have an extra 2 matches as preparation for the Euros. Rather than having 2 high pressure games. Obviously we should still be trying to top the group, but Clarke might be more inclined to introduce future prospects like Doak. Give Ferguson more of a look in. Try Hickey in the Tierney role to see if he can do it. Etc etc.

Somewhat selfishly, I'm going to the France game and I don't want to still be on a downer when there.

But I do think it's crazy that people want Norway to win so we can potentially win the group. We're still in with a good shout of being the second placed team with the most points anyway.

53 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Although a draw would be good,I'd still be delighted with a Spain win on Sunday. We're going to be without Tierney and maybe Robertson for our next qualifiers so I'm not convinced we'd get two wins anyway.

Robbo is also sitting on two yellows. Another one against Georgia would mean he's out of the Norway decider. Dykes, Porteous and Hendry are also on two yellows, I think.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Before last night, I was fairly confident that we would qualify, although I never expected it to be easy. I always thought that it would probably go down to the last game. I hope I am wrong. Not that I was expecting to get anything out of last nights game.

But as you say, it's the way in which we were robbed last night which now gives me major doubts. If it is purely down to footballing ability, then I think we still will qualify. EUFA made it blatantly clear last night that Spain must qualify at all costs. They effectively did that last night. IMO, it's now down to how badly they want Haaland at EURO 2024? Our biggest star is probably Robbo, but he is hardly box office material compared to Haaland. 

Just as well we have a play off place. I think we might need it.

If Norway don't win on Sunday, maybe UEFA could change some rules so that Haaland could transfer to Scotland just for these finals. Problem solved. 😉

After last nights injustice I'm now utterly convinced Norway will win on Sunday.  They'll be getting every decision going their way and they have the diving machine, Haaland, to give the ref/Var plenty of opportunities for free kicks on the edge of the box and/or penalties 🙄 

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Somewhat selfishly, I'm going to the France game and I don't want to still be on a downer when there.

But I do think it's crazy that people want Norway to win so we can potentially win the group. We're still in with a good shout of being the second placed team with the most points anyway.

But that would only get us pot 2. We want pot 1, although I don't think UEFA would allow that to happen.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But that would only get us pot 2. We want pot 1, although I don't think UEFA would allow that to happen.

So if we're not the best second-placed team do we end up in pot 3?

Obviously a draw is the best result but I fear Norway winning then us losing against France and going into the last two games without Tierney and maybe without Robertson and I'll take 2nd place over that scenario any day of the week.

14 minutes ago, todd said:

After last nights injustice I'm now utterly convinced Norway will win on Sunday.  They'll be getting every decision going their way and they have the diving machine, Haaland, to give the ref/Var plenty of opportunities for free kicks on the edge of the box and/or penalties 🙄 

I'm certainly going to stick a couple of quid on them as a consolation.

32 minutes ago, todd said:

Weird situation come Sunday, we're either guaranteed qualification with no hope of topping the group, or not guaranteed qualification but still a huge chance of winning the group.  Which would you take? Gun to the head? 🤔

I would take guaranteed qualification with a good chance of winning the group. As in a draw. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I would take guaranteed qualification with a good chance of winning the group. As in a draw. 

That would be the perfect scenario I suppose but it would need to be a Norway last minute equaliser otherwise my arse is packing in!

43 minutes ago, todd said:

Weird situation come Sunday, we're either guaranteed qualification with no hope of topping the group, or not guaranteed qualification but still a huge chance of winning the group.  Which would you take? Gun to the head? 🤔

Aye a confident country would be wanting a Norway victory to give us the best chance of winning the group. Years of nerve shredding disappointment have made us desperate to get over the line ASAP. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye a confident country would be wanting a Norway victory to give us the best chance of winning the group. Years of nerve shredding disappointment have made us desperate to get over the line ASAP. 

So which one are you Pete?

I'm an utter shitbag and want a spain victory all day long 😁

Edited by todd