Seedings for Euro Finals - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Seedings for Euro Finals

Craig Fae Hamilton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Hey Pete

Yeah, it's complicated. But, anything equal to or better than a 1 Goal defeat in Spain would put us above Spain in the Group if we end up level on Points. That would give us a MINIMUM of POT 2 SEEDING! Like I said, WOW! We DRAW in Spain and win our last 2, 75% we would be a SEED 1?

For Clarification, the Group Tie-Breakers are:

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference in matches played among the teams in question;
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question;
  4. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings.[a] If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 11 apply;
  5. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  7. Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Higher number of wins in all group matches;
  9. Higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  10. Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
  11. Position in the UEFA Nations League overall ranking.

I updated the Table to include last nights games. If we lose in Spain by more than 2 Goals, currently we'd be in a shoot out with Austria for the last POT 2 Position. Lose in Spain by 2 Goals exactly and I reckon we will win our last 2 and end up with a POT 2 SEED.

I stand by my prediction, POT 2 as a MINIMUM, although, it is on a KNIFE EDGE!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sPAM6KBimzCIqsRICuLOUT0R_UQsWzcWiv1rEnHS4DE/edit?usp=sharing

What on earth are you talking about? 

You are acting like we have already taken something in Spain (or have only lost by one goal). Even if we do manage to take something in Spain we are not guaranteed to finish on equal points with them. 

If Spain give us a right good doing over there we could easily lose our last 2 games or maybe pick up a point or 2. Thankfully we should already have done enough to qualify even if we lose our last 3 games.

Maybe save your “wows” until we actually qualify and we know what pot we are in? 

From Twitter:

F5xs5McWMAANG9o?format=png&name=900x900

So, Portugal are almost certainly going to be in Pot 1, whilst England and France are very likely to be there. The final two slots are realistically between ourselves, Belgium, Croatia and Hungary - of course we'll have to actually win our group before worrying about that.

F5xtG1vWQAAlhdR?format=png&name=small

For the play-offs, they think it will be:

• Path A - Poland, Wales, Estonia
  • Path B - Bosnia
  • Path A or B - Ukraine, Iceland, Norway, Slovenia
  • Path C - Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg

Texas Pete keeping us grounded good lad.

I have been watching Scotland since 76 so cant believe the great times we are in now.

What's different now is we have a proper manager who can get the ultimate of the players he has and more importantly is keeping the boys grounded.

But now we are in this position we need to keep it up into the Finals. We do have 3 mega hard games to get through and pray a pumping from Georgia is a thing of the past. 

Now if you dont mind me and Pete are back to our half empty pint glasses.

1 hour ago, Dennis Robertson said:

Texas Pete keeping us grounded good lad.

I have been watching Scotland since 76 so cant believe the great times we are in now.

What's different now is we have a proper manager who can get the ultimate of the players he has and more importantly is keeping the boys grounded.

But now we are in this position we need to keep it up into the Finals. We do have 3 mega hard games to get through and pray a pumping from Georgia is a thing of the past. 

Now if you dont mind me and Pete are back to our half empty pint glasses.

😂

I’m all for optimism and we could easily end up in pot 1 or 2 but some folk are assuming this is guaranteed.

We haven’t even qualified yet ffs. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

End of the day even if we stumble across the line to qualify I still think we are assured of Pot 3. That is an provement on 2020 Euros.

Absolutely. 

Let’s just get there with as many points and possible and the seedings will take care of themselves. 

5 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I never thought my prediction of at worst a 1 goal defeat in Spain and a Pot 1 or 2 Seeding would upset anybody.

FFS Pete. 🤣🤣🤣

Everybody is allowed their view, not just you.

I’m not upset mate. Just confused. 

How you can look at the current situation and assume we will be pot 2 minimum is beyond me. 

We will very likely lose in Spain and if this is by 2 goals or more we will very likely finish second in the group at best. 

If we do finish second we will probably need to take at least 4 points from our last 2 games to have a shot at pot 2. 

Very possible but far from guaranteed. We haven’t even qualified yet. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not upset mate. Just confused. 

How you can look at the current situation and assume we will be pot 2 minimum is beyond me. 

We will very likely lose in Spain and if this is by 2 goals or more we will very likely finish second in the group at best. 

If we do finish second we will probably need to take at least 4 points from our last 2 games to have a shot at pot 2. 

Very possible but far from guaranteed. We haven’t even qualified yet. 

You are getting mixed up with assuming and predicting. I give up.

6 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

You are getting mixed up with assuming and predicting. I give up.

Your prediction is very unlikely to come true but whatever makes you happy. 

I do hope you are right but the sad fact is we will probably lose by at least 2 goals in Spain and we probably won’t win our last 2 games. Even if we do lose by one goal I doubt very much that we will finish on the same points as Spain. I fully expect them to end the campaign on 21 points.

My prediction is we will finish second in  the group with 17-19 points. 17 points will likely not be enough for us to be in pot 2 but 19 points would give us a great chance. If we do manage 21 points then pot 2 will almost be guaranteed. 

I would say it’s no better than 50/50 that we will be in pot 2 and pot 1 is really quite slim. 

My opinion is no more valid than yours but I do think you are being very optimistic to say the least. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I do hope you are right but the sad fact is we will probably lose by at least 2 goals in Spain and we probably won’t win our last 2 games. Even if we do lose by one goal I doubt very much that we will finish on the same points as Spain. I fully expect them to end the campaign on 21 points.

My prediction is we will finish second in  the group with 17-19 points. 17 points will likely not be enough for us to be in pot 2 but 19 points would give us a great chance. If we do manage 21 points then pot 2 will almost be guaranteed. 

I would say it’s no better than 50/50 that we will be in pot 2 and pot 1 is really quite slim. 

My opinion is no more valid than yours but I do think you are being very optimistic to say the least. 

There's a lot of different ways the Norway game could become very exciting, just hope us playing for a draw isn't one of them.

Could of course be totally meaningless if we win in Spain.

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Edited by Craig Fae Hamilton

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think we will get beat in Spain, its still going to be very warm in Seville apart from anything else. Think we will win in Georgia and either win or draw in last game. 

34 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I get the Spain bit, but just so I’m clear, why do you think it’s “very unlikely” we will win our last two games?

Edited by Marky

To add to the actual Analysis that has already been done (not by Pete), follow this link. Some people are putting the chances of Scotland winning our Group as high as 63.5%.

And to avoid any confusion Pete, that would make us a Pot 2 Team as a MINIMUM.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sPAM6KBimzCIqsRICuLOUT0R_UQsWzcWiv1rEnHS4DE/edit?usp=sharing

33 minutes ago, Marky said:

I get the Spain bit, but just so I’m clear, why do you think it’s “very unlikely” we will win our last two games?

Pressure? Or, if we have already qualified, taking our foot off the gas?

I am not saying there’s no chance we can win or last 2 matches, or even our last 3, but in my opinion it’s unlikely to happen. 

I would love to be proved wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

To add to the actual Analysis that has already been done (not by Pete), follow this link. Some people are putting the chances of Scotland winning our Group as high as 63.5%.

And to avoid any confusion Pete, that would make us a Pot 2 Team as a MINIMUM.

You don’t need to mention me in every post mate but it’s good to know I have an admirer. 

I couldn’t give a flying fuck what “some people” are saying. Unless they are genuine soothsayers they don’t know what’s going to happen. None of us do.