Europe 23/24 - Page 20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

43 minutes ago, JECK said:

Unfortunately like most things in life all can be explained by money. Atletico’s squad is worth 4 - 5 times more than Celtic’s. Even Malmo is double that of hibs. Celtics is something like 10 times that of hibs. I don’t know what Liverpool is compared to rangers but it will likely be even more than the difference of Celtic and athletico. I never understand why folk get into nonsensical arguments like the above. Its never talked about by broadcasters in the build up to live matches. In my opinion broadcasters should show every player on the screen showing their market value and wage to give everyone a clear indication of what they are actually watching. 

John Hartson was practically in tears talking about the gulf in finances but when celtic tank aberdeen, Ross County and Co he fails to mention it. When that happens it's down to celtics great play and management. 

Football is the most ignorant sport on the planet.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Sadly these days I think it is.

Celtic were dreadful, I reckon with 11 men they'd still have been leathered.

Footballs done then, it's no as if he stamped or anything he's gone for the ball foot too high and the atleti player kicks through and gets studded. It's a yellow, no malice or anything in it. Atleti player makes a meal of it, as you expect from them.

Agree that they would have got best but that decision definitely impacted the game.

I'm no a Celtic fan so not being biased or anything 

2 hours ago, JECK said:

Unfortunately like most things in life all can be explained by money. Atletico’s squad is worth 4 - 5 times more than Celtic’s. Even Malmo is double that of hibs. Celtics is something like 10 times that of hibs. I don’t know what Liverpool is compared to rangers but it will likely be even more than the difference of Celtic and athletico. I never understand why folk get into nonsensical arguments like the above. Its never talked about by broadcasters in the build up to live matches. In my opinion broadcasters should show every player on the screen showing their market value and wage to give everyone a clear indication of what they are actually watching. 

Aah the budget excuse. It’s not one I use and it doesn’t really stand up to any scrutiny when you look at results down the years anyway.

I don’t expect us to go to Madrid and win but I do expect us to be competitive and I expect us to be competitive in that group regardless of finance. However, when you don’t prepare properly you don’t give yourself a chance and that’s what the board stand rightly accused of. 
As for the rest, budgets never get mentioned when they are getting rode rotten by teams from places like Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Finland & Latvia etc etc……

55 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Footballs done then, it's no as if he stamped or anything he's gone for the ball foot too high and the atleti player kicks through and gets studded. It's a yellow, no malice or anything in it. Atleti player makes a meal of it, as you expect from them.

Agree that they would have got best but that decision definitely impacted the game.

I'm no a Celtic fan so not being biased or anything 

VAR is ruining the game and I’m sick of it. I’m abroad just now and fucked off out of the Irish bar showing the game at half time. I ended up in a German bar and one of the tvs was showing highlights of Koln vs BMG. Good game it was too until VAR decided to review a nothing tackle on the halfway line. Cue the lengthy delay followed by the inevitable red card. Game ruined and Koln strolled to victory. It’s happening everywhere every week and the slo mo replays can make even the most innocuous foul look like borderline attempted murder. 
I’ve had enough of it, get it to fuck! It doesn’t change my opinion that Maeda was monumentally fuckin stupid last night and I’m still pissed off at his fuckwittery!

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Aah the budget excuse. It’s not one I use and it doesn’t really stand up to any scrutiny when you look at results down the years anyway.

I don’t expect us to go to Madrid and win but I do expect us to be competitive and I expect us to be competitive in that group regardless of finance. However, when you don’t prepare properly you don’t give yourself a chance and that’s what the board stand rightly accused of. 
As for the rest, budgets never get mentioned when they are getting rode rotten by teams from places like Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Finland & Latvia etc etc……

Well I can think of quite a few examples - Rangers in the 90s. Blackburn in 95 (spent serious money relatively at the time) Chelseas first few years under Abramovich. The current Man City side. Mind when hearts actually spent some money in the mid noughties and split the old firm? Yes there will be anomalies along the way but 8/9 times out of 10 the teams with the best players will always win out. I bet when you watch Celtic play the majority of their domestic games you expect to win by a fair few goals. The jump between spfl and champions league football is off the scale.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

VAR is ruining the game and I’m sick of it. I’m abroad just now and fucked off out of the Irish bar showing the game at half time. I ended up in a German bar and one of the tvs was showing highlights of Koln vs BMG. Good game it was too until VAR decided to review a nothing tackle on the halfway line. Cue the lengthy delay followed by the inevitable red card. Game ruined and Koln strolled to victory. It’s happening everywhere every week and the slo mo replays can make even the most innocuous foul look like borderline attempted murder. 
I’ve had enough of it, get it to fuck! It doesn’t change my opinion that Maeda was monumentally fuckin stupid last night and I’m still pissed off at his fuckwittery!

Aye the slow mo and stills definitely make everything worse. As soon as the ref goes over you know it's done. 

It wasn't the best tackle but he should never be off for that man. Pish as you say. I never wanted VAR and I think most who did want it are now regretting it

30 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Aye the slow mo and stills definitely make everything worse. As soon as the ref goes over you know it's done. 

It wasn't the best tackle but he should never be off for that man. Pish as you say. I never wanted VAR and I think most who did want it are now regretting it

I only wanted technology for factual things like offside / whether somebody was inside the box or not etc however its defo here to stay so we there needs to be a discussion on how to make it better.

From a fan and viewer perspective it takes far too long, especially why the final call is often still contested. 1st thing id change is how many times the ref can look at something. Id suggest that he is allowed to watch any incident 3 times at full speed and 3 times at half speed. If he cant decide after that then his original decision stands. Still photos dont work as they provide no context.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I won't see much of the game. Still working

A few mates saying VAR should've had a look a bad challenge by PAOK

Stone wall red, didn’t even go to var. Full back we’ll late wi stamp on McGraths ankle 🤬

2-1 Rangers FT. First half probably the best we’ve played this season and should have had the game killed off by 60 mins. Late goal for them and we handed up hanging on for the last few minutes although they didn’t really have any chances. We wouldn’t have won that game under Beale.  

The points on the board may not reflect it but the dons have given a good account of themselves in the conference league. I just hope they can pick up a win in the last two matches.

Definitely a case of what could have been in a lot of matches. the one that really annoys is the PAOK at home. That game was won until Robson made those changes and the ref screwed us

On a side note, the refereeing in Europe has been horrendous, sometimes made worse with the help of VAR or in last nights case VAR actually helped by overturning the laughable dive from the PAOK attacker