Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

I was pretty pissed at the performance, mainly in an attacking sense as I thought we gave them far too much respect. I thought we did defend really well but I felt for 86 mins of that game that we had pretty much gifted them the 3 points because whilst we had defended reasonably well we had failed to do the other part of the game plan in countering effectively.

I did think we would get a chance at some point and as long as we kept it at 1-0 we would be able to salvage something out of the game, really didn't see that turnaround though.

I've seen glorious failure so many times watching Scotland it's just nice to see it go the other way for a change. There was a point in injury time where Armstrong has the ball in midfield and nearly gave it away I was having flashbacks to the England game!

Playing poorly but winning isn't necessarily something to be annoyed at, I think its a sign of resilience. Hopefully we can ram home to advantage we've given ourselves on Tuesday night.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lion Rampant said:

I was pretty pissed at the performance, mainly in an attacking sense as I thought we gave them far too much respect. I thought we did defend really well but I felt for 86 mins of that game that we had pretty much gifted them the 3 points because whilst we had defended reasonably well we had failed to do the other part of the game plan in countering effectively.

I did think we would get a chance at some point and as long as we kept it at 1-0 we would be able to salvage something out of the game, really didn't see that turnaround though.

I've seen glorious failure so many times watching Scotland it's just nice to see it go the other way for a change. There was a point in injury time where Armstrong has the ball in midfield and nearly gave it away I was having flashbacks to the England game!

Playing poorly but winning isn't necessarily something to be annoyed at, I think its a sign of resilience. Hopefully we can ram home to advantage we've given ourselves on Tuesday night.

Thats pretty much how i felt about the match.

For some reason i have been given pelters for it. Fuck knows why.

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I’m not sure if you have been given pelters. Some people have disagreed with your doom and gloom (and a little ignorant in my opinion) assessment of the match and you seem determined to have the last word on it. 

You thought we didn’t play well at all. We get it and you are entitled to your opinion and I agree with it to a certain extent. Not sure why you feel the need to argue on an on about with anyone who dares disagree in the slightest though. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Because you are like a dog with a bone.

You've gone on about it ad infinitum since Saturday, and continually bored us all with the same opinion in the face of some very intelligent and measured responses from other posters.

Maybe pack your hand in and give repeatedly spamming the forum a rest?

Edited by Barney Rubble

Not long back in the door, so havent had a chance to read back the full thread, but my reading of the game for what its worth.

It was very hot in the stadium. The sweat was running down my legs just standing there, so plenty sympathy for the players before we even kicked off as conditions were very difficult.

Felt Clarke had instructed to team to play conservatively and be disciplined in their positioning to stop Haaland getting any space to run in behind, but also to conserve energy. There was no way we could have played a high tempo in that heat. As a result we had to concede the majority of possession to them.

I didnt think our play on the transistion was as effective as it could have been with McGregor and McTominay having pretty quiet games. But I felt a lot of that was to do with the foregoing, with Hickey in particular appearing quite reluctant to bomb forward in support, leaving them outnumbered in midfield a fair bit.

The tactics worked to an extent. It was a game of few chances. They only had 5 all game and only 3 of them were on target, one being the penalty.

We had 3 chances, all 3 on target and 2 of them resulting in goals.

I felt we were always in the game and were a little better on the ball 2nd half. My one criticism was that when we did go behind it took Clarke quite a while to change it.

Felt we should have tried to chase the game a bit more at that point so I would have made the subs earlier, but Ive heard Clarke say he didnt want the game to get away from us and lose another, which could well have happened with Haaland still on the pitch.

Overall, got to give Steve Clarke a lot of credit. It may not have been the best performance, but he got the big decisions correct and we got the 3 points we needed that all but eliminate Norway.

The team continues to develop, but there is a trust and a bond forming between them the supporters and the manager that we havent experienced in a while.

1 hour ago, Judith said:

Not long back in the door, so havent had a chance to read back the full thread, but my reading of the game for what its worth.

It was very hot in the stadium. The sweat was running down my legs just standing there, so plenty sympathy for the players before we even kicked off as conditions were very difficult.

Felt Clarke had instructed to team to play conservatively and be disciplined in their positioning to stop Haaland getting any space to run in behind, but also to conserve energy. There was no way we could have played a high tempo in that heat. As a result we had to concede the majority of possession to them.

I didnt think our play on the transistion was as effective as it could have been with McGregor and McTominay having pretty quiet games. But I felt a lot of that was to do with the foregoing, with Hickey in particular appearing quite reluctant to bomb forward in support, leaving them outnumbered in midfield a fair bit.

The tactics worked to an extent. It was a game of few chances. They only had 5 all game and only 3 of them were on target, one being the penalty.

I felt we were always in the game and were a little better on the ball 2nd half. My one criticism was that when we did go behind it took Clarke quite a while to change it.

Felt we should have tried to chase the game a bit more at that point so I would have made the subs earlier, but Ive heard Clarke say he didnt want the game to get away from us and lose another, which could well have happened with Haaland still on the pitch.

Overall, got to give Steve Clarke a lot of credit. It may not have been the best performance, but he got the big decisions correct and we got the 3 points we needed that all but eliminate Norway.

The team continues to develop, but there is a trust and a bond forming between them the supporters and the manager that we havent experienced in a while.

Excellent analysis, Judith. What a great chance we’ve given ourselves to qualify for consecutive Euros. Being in Germany with the TA would be incredible. I can’t wait to be in Hampden tomorrow night with ma two laddies and pals 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Judith said:

Good post. 

I think the 2 goals remind us how quickly a game can change and in our benefit for once. 

It’s a 90 minute game, Norway definitely dropped off and I think the players sensed that. 

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Good post. 

I think the 2 goals remind us how quickly a game can change and in our benefit for once. 

It’s a 90 minute game, Norway definitely dropped off and I think the players sensed that. 

I'm just very glad that this set of players seem to have a much more positive mentality than I, or previous squads, do. After they scored I was thinking a 1-0 defeat is better than losing 2-0 (just in case it goes to head to head in the last game) so just make sure you don't let them score another one. 🤣

I'm sure somebody else has already noticed but, watching the game again I counted 32 passes leading up to our first goal!  If the likes of Spain, etal did that to us everyone would be creaming themselves over it.

8 hours ago, todd said:

I'm sure somebody else has already noticed but, watching the game again I counted 32 passes leading up to our first goal!  If the likes of Spain, etal did that to us everyone would be creaming themselves over it.

Precisely.

Pretty decent (putting it mildly) build up for the second goal too. Two goals with high quality build-ups and nullifying Haaland too.