Retirement...... - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 9/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, slasher said:

At the moment I’m just daydreaming Tidy, as you know I have two very expensive daughters to put through uni. At the moment I’m thinking I could maybe drop a day in 4 years when I’m 60. Of course all bets are off if redundancies come up!

To be honest your experience could be a good barometer for me so let me know how you go!

No harm in daydreaming S , you never know what’s round the corner,  sometimes its actually good news ! 😊

Will let you know how it goes though a potential trip to Germany is probably not a great start to surviving on a pension. I might need to introduce some creative accounting.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/22/2023 at 10:15 AM, slasher said:

Has anyone tried dropping a day or two and gone down the partial retirement route working a 3 or 4 day week? 
This is an option for me, I just don’t know that it’s a particularly good one financially.

Started part time in May this year. Worked 2 weeks (84 hour week) on 12 hour nights & days then 18 days off, now only do the 1 week 18 days off then 1 week 38 days off on half pay. Wish I could have done it years ago 😁😁😁

All this chat of retirement 😭

I'm only 34 though haha, have just taken on a second van/delivery run and going well so far for the first month. One of my best mates now working for/with me and glad it's someone I can trust. 

If we work hard at this for the next 15 year early retirement could be a go for both of us.

On 9/23/2023 at 1:23 PM, TDYER63 said:

No harm in daydreaming S , you never know what’s round the corner,  sometimes its actually good news ! 😊

Will let you know how it goes though a potential trip to Germany is probably not a great start to surviving on a pension. I might need to introduce some creative accounting.

I'll be 60 in 16 months time, it has been my intention for a long time to retire then, I'm now getting cold feet and thinking about leaving it for another 2 years.

On the other hand I've had a horrible year with bereavements and makes you think more that 'life's too short'.

Another couple of financial hurdles will be our lot spending 2 week in Germany next summer, and following St Mirren on their long road to European glory next season. 🙂

5 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I'll be 60 in 16 months time, it has been my intention for a long time to retire then, I'm now getting cold feet and thinking about leaving it for another 2 years.

On the other hand I've had a horrible year with bereavements and makes you think more that 'life's too short'.

Another couple of financial hurdles will be our lot spending 2 week in Germany next summer, and following St Mirren on their long road to European glory next season. 🙂

Exactly Jim. I was blessed I could retire at 55 with a full pension. What you said at the end pal. My old gaffer rang me last week funny enough. A lad I worked with for 20 years, his wife passed away from cancer Friday, she was 38. A month ago she felt some discomfort in her stomach, went to doctor, ran tests, stage 4 cancer, she died 29 days later... She was 38 ????

You never know Jim what's round the corner, that had alot to do with my decision to retire. I loved my job, but I am at an age when shite starts to happen. Like I said, I am lucky with my pension, I loved my job, but I love being retired. I now have a wee part time job, and still have freedom to fish, kayak, long walks with my dog Walkace🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. My advice, and only my opinion through experience, retire when you can, you only live once.... All the best Jim.... 

Oh, and good luck with that European run...😏

5 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

It was all believable until that last sentence 😜

On 9/22/2023 at 10:15 AM, slasher said:

Has anyone tried dropping a day or two and gone down the partial retirement route working a 3 or 4 day week? 
This is an option for me, I just don’t know that it’s a particularly good one financially.

I dropped a day and condensed my hours. Best work related decision i ever did. 

Still do the same hours but just have a friday off. 

Sadly be 20 years before i can retire! 

6 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

As you get older you naturally find you are losing people due to illnesses , and it does give you a bit of a wake up call about what is important in your life.

Unfortunately most of us will have restrictions surrounding retirement, main one probably being financial constraints , but cutting back on your hours can be a decent compromise if that is available. You keep that Jersey airport open Jimmy I am sure they would rather have you doing reduced hours than not being there at all 😊

However there is  absolutely no compromise whatsoever on Germany and The Buddies European tour 💪

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Exactly Jim. I was blessed I could retire at 55 with a full pension. What you said at the end pal. My old gaffer rang me last week funny enough. A lad I worked with for 20 years, his wife passed away from cancer Friday, she was 38. A month ago she felt some discomfort in her stomach, went to doctor, ran tests, stage 4 cancer, she died 29 days later... She was 38 ????

You never know Jim what's round the corner, that had alot to do with my decision to retire. I loved my job, but I am at an age when shite starts to happen. Like I said, I am lucky with my pension, I loved my job, but I love being retired. I now have a wee part time job, and still have freedom to fish, kayak, long walks with my dog Walkace🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. My advice, and only my opinion through experience, retire when you can, you only live once.... All the best Jim.... 

Oh, and good luck with that European run...😏

That is dreadful news about your workmate’s  wife Ramy 😞

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

That is dreadful news about your workmate’s  wife Ramy 😞

He is in complete shock, as we all are. Going to the wake on Thursday. I am retired, but have to show my workmate respect. It's so very sad. They also have a young daughter.... Heartbreaking...😪😪

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We had a bad few years there with boys i go to Killie games with, lost 5 and not one of them was over 50 and two of them were in their 30s. Defo makes you think about life in general. 

Certainly does mate. That's sad news SH...I have spoke with couple my mates around my age and they are looking into early retirement for that reason. Money isn't everything, but every situation is different. My wife has seen a big change in me since I retired. She said I am more relaxed as I suffer from an anxiety disorder. Alot of my anxiety was work related, so for health reasons retirement was good for me...

I think a lot of people delay because of money concerns. It’s a tough judgment call and timing is everything but at the end of the day we are all different and what may be right for some may not work for others. This thread has been great as it gives lots of different perspectives 👍

On 9/21/2023 at 8:57 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

On a more serious note, I am going to have to find a way to write off stuff as I have 2 incomes now, the taxman gonnae hammer me. My wife is designing a business website for me as I Bagpipe weddings, funerals, etc. I can use this to write off some of my expenses and claim it when I do my yearly taxes.. Fucking government dissnae miss a trick over here in Canada the bastards.... Other than that, I am enjoying retirement and my part time job as an Artist.....😂💪💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

can you not play some events in scotland on bagpipes, and charge small fee - and then offset your flights against your tax ?  sure i have heard of something similar in Canada before    

7 hours ago, euan2020 said:

can you not play some events in scotland on bagpipes, and charge small fee - and then offset your flights against your tax ?  sure i have heard of something similar in Canada before    

It's worth looking into mate, I need to do something. The taxes here are mental...

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Just pay your taxes, ya miserable fuker. You've obviously got a lot more money than you need. 😉 🤣

😂😂😂. If we ever meet pal, the pints are on me, no bother...🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

😂😂😂. If we ever meet pal, the pints are on me, no bother...🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

🙄

You were less than 500 metres from me in the summer and you couldn’t get yer wallet out 😉

Ps You need to invest in a duster to change that blackboard….

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Never understood this idea about giving folk a watch/clock when they retire. You're retired, WTF do you need a watch for?

They sent me a catalogue mate, and I was able to choose my retirement gift. I got a ring for 35 years service, so I chose the watch for retirement. That way when I pass away, my boys, one will get my watch, and one will get my ring.... My wife will get my pension. Everyone happy...😂

• 2 weeks later...