Harry Kane 'Song' - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harry Kane 'Song'

Robbo `81

8 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

It’s the phrase ‘English b*****d’ that’s defined as racist though. The sentiment of the song is fine, in terms of insulting a rival football team, and hopefully most of us don’t mean to be racist when singing derogatory songs about our rivals, but we’d need to find a way to rephrase those two words, even just slightly, to not include the phrase in question.

20 years ago it would have been viewed in context but these days everyone's so desperate to find any kind of victim status they instantly add arms and legs to everything, before long people will be challenging reference to gender in chants. Rivalry is rivalry, aye, we have to be careful but we can't let this roll out of control or before long rivalry or competition will be deemed unacceptable.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

20 years ago it would have been viewed in context but these days everyone's so desperate to find any kind of victim status they instantly add arms and legs to everything, before long people will be challenging reference to gender in chants. Rivalry is rivalry, aye, we have to be careful but we can't let this roll out of control or before long rivalry or competition will be deemed unacceptable.  

I’m pretty sure that phrase was considered racist 20 years ago too.

There’s plenty of ways to sing about a football rivalry, without the need to include any racist words or phrases - or homophobic, misogynistic, ableist, transphobic, sectarian, etc, phrases as well. Nor celebrating and chanting about tragedies that have affected the other team.

There’s no need for any supporters to stoop to that level - particularly Scotland fans, who like to make bold claims about being the best fans in the world and such like. We can’t have it both ways.

Again I can only speak for himself but I've always found terms such as 'windae licker' and 'mongo' use to describe people with Downs Syndrome to be particularly distasteful- both were very common in my younger days , but I don't remember hearing them much, if at all, in recent years , except for this chant.

I cant control what other people do or think I can only hope this particular chant dies a death sooner than later

3 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Totally correct. Gentrification of football just keps on growing.Suggest all the terminally outraged read SECTION 10 of the HUMAN RIGHTS law. Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Totally correct. Gentrification of football just keps on growing.Suggest all the terminally outraged read SECTION 10 of the HUMAN RIGHTS law. Thank you. 

Find me the section in the law which says you have  the   right not to be offended. No... that's because it doesn't exist. Just need to stop your lips from trembling and get on with living in the real world. 🤞

13 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Find me the section in the law which says you have  the   right not to be offended. No... that's because it doesn't exist. Just need to stop your lips from trembling and get on with living in the real world. 🤞

Is that offended by race, colour or religion you are referring to?  Or just a hate crime?  These are all laws kid, in this country anyway. 

49 minutes ago, thesaint said:

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

What are you talking about?

21 hours ago, duncan II said:

We can be too precious. Kane is an illiterate boor, who is also a blatant cheat and diver. A horrific role model as an England captain and representative of the declining standards of modern youth and, therefore, ripe for getting ridiculed at any opportunity. I don't personally sing derogatory songs but there's worse things to worry about.

Despite his blatant cheating and diving - for which he is rarely penalised - I still find him more likable than some characters who have pulled on the three lions in the not too distant past.  He hasn't, as far as I am aware, ever beaten his wife up, or shagged the wife or girlfriend of a teammate, for instance. 

I just see him as a bit of a chancer on the football field who happens to have a bit of a funny voice off it.  And a big chin.

20 hours ago, Marky said:

Don’t disagree with you at all mate, but that wasn’t the point I was making.

I was addressing the suggestion that young people were likely to the culprits rather than older people, when in reality young people are generally speaking considerably more “educated” on these matters than folk over 50. 

I had to Google the song, because I've never heard it sung, and going by the videos I found the people singing it have a long way to go before they reach 50.  I can't say I'm surprised - I said and did things and sung things in my late teens/early twenties that I would never do now.  I found things funny at that age that I don't now. 

People generally become better as they get older.  They learn from experiences.  I know we live in very politically correct times but the 90s were quite PC too, and youngsters then still said some pretty horrible things.  I don't see why today's youth should be any different.  

7 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Let’s just call Kane an utter cheat after his delayed theatrics in the Everton game, some witty person can maybe think up an appropriate verse on his cheating.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Not riddles. Work it out. It's not difficult. 👍

I beg to differ. I don’t know what you’re talking about - and I’m not sure you do either.

It’s ironic that you’re writing about fools and wisemen - and presumably trying to claim that you’re the latter - whilst using such atrocious grammar.

33 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I beg to differ. I don’t know what you’re talking about - and I’m not sure you do either.

It’s ironic that you’re writing about fools and wisemen - and presumably trying to claim that you’re the latter - whilst using such atrocious grammar.

Really hope you're not offended. That would really upset me. 😂😂

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Despite his blatant cheating and diving - for which he is rarely penalised - I still find him more likable than some characters who have pulled on the three lions in the not too distant past.  He hasn't, as far as I am aware, ever beaten his wife up, or shagged the wife or girlfriend of a teammate, for instance. 

I just see him as a bit of a chancer on the football field who happens to have a bit of a funny voice off it.  And a big chin.

I had to Google the song, because I've never heard it sung, and going by the videos I found the people singing it have a long way to go before they reach 50.  I can't say I'm surprised - I said and did things and sung things in my late teens/early twenties that I would never do now.  I found things funny at that age that I don't now. 

People generally become better as they get older.  They learn from experiences.  I know we live in very politically correct times but the 90s were quite PC too, and youngsters then still said some pretty horrible things.  I don't see why today's youth should be any different.  

That’s fine mate. It’s a totally subjective argument anyway, so we’ll agree to disagree. I still think that in this day and age “younger people” are generally more  enlightened and aware of what is and isn’t appropriate than “older people”. That’s my experience anyway. 

As a bloke from last century 

Kane epitomises football this century . I do admire his steady rise in a career that increasingly focuses on a professional production line with 7 year olds identified as future talents. 
Wasn’t at all surprised when he arrived at the back post to equalise for the 2-2. Not liked and abuse from opposition supporters is a complement. 

regards his reaction to being scratched in the face , every one who watches football this century knows a tug , pull or push to any part of the body results in leg spasms as  in headshot scenario 

25 minutes ago, Marky said:

That’s fine mate. It’s a totally subjective argument anyway, so we’ll agree to disagree. I still think that in this day and age “younger people” are generally more  enlightened and aware of what is and isn’t appropriate than “older people”. That’s my experience anyway. 

Appropriate to who though?

58 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Whats the prob with the grammer welky¿

can you start a knew thred with maybe a dailey tyootorial on proper punkuashon? I think itd be helpful. Im keen to improve and feel inspired by you’re quest for perfect grammar.

You jest, but that’s the level of grammar some people at here are actually coming out with!

7 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

You jest, but that’s the level of grammar some people at here are actually coming out with!

‘At here’ is terrible grammar. Now do us all a favour and either grow up and behave like an adult or leave. 

10 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

‘At here’ is terrible grammar. Now do us all a favour and either grow up and behave like an adult or leave. 

You’re right! Too late to edit as well. Sorry, I don’t think there’s any way I can change it now? It was meant to say ‘on here’.

I thought you kept saying you had me on block or ignore or something?