U21s vs Sweden & Wales - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s vs Sweden & Wales

csinclair

Would have liked to have seen Hackney & Doig in the full squad, still time to get moved up I guess.

Elliot Anderson looks to be the most notable player not in the squad. If he did switch to England then he can't play for their U21s until the next campaign having already played for us.

Good to see Mebude brought up a level.

For time being there is no real need for Doig in main squad, so U21's would have been best place for him.

Hackney was the one I hoped would sneak in to the main squad, as out of him and Doak, he is the one actually playing first team football.

Anderson is intriguing, as while there has been media reports of England sniffing around, he has shown not enough form for a full call up for them, and he is not eligible for the U21 Euros this summer, and given he turns 21 in November, he will be of no use to them for a while.

My first thought was he is getting a full call up, but if he is not in Clarke's squad, that is probably the clearest sign that he has binned us.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

For time being there is no real need for Doig in main squad, so U21's would have been best place for him.

Hackney was the one I hoped would sneak in to the main squad, as out of him and Doak, he is the one actually playing first team football.

Anderson is intriguing, as while there has been media reports of England sniffing around, he has shown not enough form for a full call up for them, and he is not eligible for the U21 Euros this summer, and given he turns 21 in November, he will be of no use to them for a while.

My first thought was he is getting a full call up, but if he is not in Clarke's squad, that is probably the clearest sign that he has binned us.

Doig starring in Serie A? Would have him over players who don’t play for starters. Also he’s better than Greg Taylor 

I've just realised on second look at the squad that Gemmill has reverted back to his old reluctance of calling up strikers with Dickson-Peters the only one in the entire squad. No doubt he'll throw Doak, Mebude or Duncan out of position like he used to with Middleton

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Doig starring in Serie A? Would have him over players who don’t play for starters. Also he’s better than Greg Taylor 

Lets face it, whoever is coming in at LB is playing second fiddle to Andy Robertson, and you could still push it and include Tierney and Hickey is there as cover (Taylor is only there because he is the only one that LB is his full-time position) so for the time being we have no real need for Doig.

7 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Azeem Abdulai is a new name to me, would be intresting finding out his background.

From what I found looks like he was at Celtic and got relised at 16, before eventlyfully finding his way down to Swansea

Very little info, but looks like he was born in England, and as well as Celtic, was on the books of Leicester City before joining Swansea.

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Very little info, but looks like he was born in England, and as well as Celtic, was on the books of Leicester City before joining Swansea.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/azeem-abdulai-being-same-pitch-neymar-embracing-swansea-way

Found this on the Swansea website, Intresting backstory. looks like he had a few setbacks and played as a defender before Swansea moved him to center midfild.

Hope he makes it and plays for the full team, just for the name 😀

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think he's nowhere near the England full squad given their strength in depth, he's nowhere near a regular starter even for Newcastle. We have got a good midfield but haven't got massive strength in depth.

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Only shock to me is the omission of Lowry; he seemed just a short while ago to be one of our most promising players. I know his attitude at Rangers has been questioned though. Anyone know anything about Mullen from Leeds?

Lowry is Injured, Mullen meant to be excellent has been on Leeds first team bench this season.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Lets face it, whoever is coming in at LB is playing second fiddle to Andy Robertson, and you could still push it and include Tierney and Hickey is there as cover (Taylor is only there because he is the only one that LB is his full-time position) so for the time being we have no real need for Doig.

I'm sure we could bring him into the first team squad should someone get injured. He'll probably learn more by playing for the U21s than being on the bench for the first team right now. Once he's no longer eligible for the U21s, I'd expect him to be in the first team squad ahead of Taylor, if he keeps playing at Serie A (or similar) level.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

I do wonder if he's been included in the first team squad, especially now he's starting the regularly be on the Newcastle bench. It wouldn't be the first time a young player has been added to the squad with limited first team experience under Clarke - Gilmour, Ramsay and Patterson all come to mind. As Hertsscot said above, we don't have a huge amount of depth in midfield - especially in the advanced areas - so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the full squad.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Lowry is Injured, Mullen meant to be excellent has been on Leeds first team bench this season. 

Leeds have some excellent young players & he is one of the better ones i think. Centre half also I believe. 

Wonder if his team mate Archie Gray has been asked to join us, recently been a regular EPL bench warmer at the age of 16.

What will the team look like? Personally I would go for something like this:

Slicker
Johnston - King - Morrison - Doig
Barron - Hackney - ?
Doak - ? - Fiorini

It's a tough to pick between Johnston and Devine and I am not sure who partners the midfield pair of Barron and Hackney - Fiorini can play there but I feel he is better further forward. If not for injury it would  have been Lowry, but I don't know from this squad who is best of the rest. Dickson-Peters will presumably start up top, but personally I'd love to see a dynamic 3 of Doak, Mebude and Fiorini. There combination of excellent wide forwards and the exceptional attacking quality of the full-backs would be a very interesting proposition. King, Morrison, Barron and Hackney are all very strong technically too so you would hope a team like this could keep possession well and build forwards as well as being devastating on the counter.

Of course this is a Gemmill team so what we will likely see is the 10 biggest he can find lumping the ball forward for Doak to chase.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Id go with this. Mebude & Doak both tend to prefer the right side but they could swap or just have Duncan on the left.

The lack of strikers is concerning, I’d assumed he’d call up Wilson again.

I don't think Mebude can play wide left - he played there for City in the youth Champions league last week and was not good. I think Fiorini can play there and has in the past but I might be mistaken. He will be very good as one of the midfield three in your formation though so no complaints with that. I suppose Doig could play as an attacking left forward but he is by far and away the best left (wing) back in the squad so that seems a waste.

For strikers, I am surprised he hasn't called up Wilson too although I suppose you would have a very young front line if you did. Kieron Bowie who has been on loan in League 2 for Northampton Town is the other you might have expected in the squad as well as Conway who is injured.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I don't think Mebude can play wide left - he played there for City in the youth Champions league last week and was not good. I think Fiorini can play there and has in the past but I might be mistaken. He will be very good as one of the midfield three in your formation though so no complaints with that. I suppose Doig could play as an attacking left forward but he is by far and away the best left (wing) back in the squad so that seems a waste.

For strikers, I am surprised he hasn't called up Wilson too although I suppose you would have a very young front line if you did. Kieron Bowie who has been on loan in League 2 for Northampton Town is the other you might have expected in the squad as well as Conway who is injured.

Bowie hasn't featured for Northampton for several weeks so I presume he's injured too. 

I'd hoped Gemmill would have called up Rory Wilson too - he's playing at at least as high a standard as those Celtic kids - but this is Scot Gemmill we're talking about.

I'd hoped to see Doak, Doig and Hackney in the senior squad but I guess there's more chance of them seeing game time with the U21s.

I said this at the last u21 squad announcement, but I'm saying it again - this is the strongest u21 squad I think I've ever seen.

There is a very real possibility a large percentage of these players could go on to get senior caps for Scotland. Some seem inevitable. Doak being the most obvious.

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

Bowie hasn't featured for Northampton for several weeks so I presume he's injured too.

Also Northampton, being in English League Two, are playing league matches during the international break. With these games being friendlies, it's unlikely they'd allow him to go on international duty anyway.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, theabsentee said:

Leeds have some excellent young players & he is one of the better ones i think. Centre half also I believe. 

Wonder if his team mate Archie Gray has been asked to join us, recently been a regular EPL bench warmer at the age of 16.

Archie Gray has opted for England.  Played for them at youth level. 

Very surprised at this as his dad. Grandad and great Uncle Eddie all played for us.  They need to have a word with him as hes a great prospect. 

May change his mind though 

2 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Archie Gray has opted for England.  Played for them at youth level. 

Very surprised at this as his dad. Grandad and great Uncle Eddie all played for us.  They need to have a word with him as hes a great prospect. 

May change his mind though 

Davies weirs son and 1 of Fletchers twins have chosing England unfortunately both also meant to be talented.