Indyref 2 (2) - Page 216 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

50 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Supermarket paper stands are basically billboards for Unionism, bash the SNP, lurid headline, truth distorted, no apology, just a lingering image in the customers mind that SNP are incompetent or rotten.

That's exactly what it is. 

I did chuckle at the linking of humza to killer dogs, that's desperation by the Scottish daily express. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Supermarket paper stands are basically billboards for Unionism, bash the SNP, lurid headline, truth distorted, no apology, just a lingering image in the customers mind that SNP are incompetent or rotten.

That’s why when in supermarkets my first call is the paper stands to turn the papers over and back again when I leave to do the same, time folk realise that 99% of the media are pro union and hate the SNP, but time and again some Indy supporters get hooked by them and believe their shite.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

That's exactly what it is. 

I did chuckle at the linking of humza to killer dogs, that's desperation by the Scottish daily express. 

I'm down visiting family in England. Express headline about mob chanting pro-Palestinian slogans outside Tobias Ellwood's house, every other paper about Labour withdrawing their backing for by election candidates or death of Steve Wright.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was going to reply last night but it was too late and VA has kinda said it for me. 

But just to add , what is he supposed to do ? Request the calendar of every controversial leader  just to check their holiday schedules dont clash. 

No, just perhaps think a bit more carefully about where he holidays, for the reasons I've already laid out. It isn't as if alternative options are scarce.

Who holidays in Qatar anyway??

"Qatar - come for the homophobia, misogyny and modern slavery, stay for the sunshine!"

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

No, just perhaps think a bit more carefully about where he holidays, for the reasons I've already laid out. It isn't as if alternative options are scarce.

"Qatar - come for the homophobia, misogyny and modern slavery, stay for the sunshine!"

Do you think that he should only go on holiday to predominately christian countries? Or is Qatar just one of the worst muslim counties?

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Scotlad there is hypocrisy absolutely everywhere regarding  people holidaying in places with poor human rights . From football players to musicians, people way more revered than Humza Yousaf.
 Yes of course it would be better if he holidayed in a nice  European country that ticked the box of every politically correct voter but he didn’t.
It’s hardly a reason to join in with the GB news team , the most hypocritical thing about the whole saga is the type of folk complaining  are generally the biggest bigots and racists out there. 
Humza is on borrowed time, not because he holidayed in Qatar or because of his own  shortcomings , but because he has inherited a shit show left for him and in no small way amplified by the media that are spinning this nonsense.  There really is no need to stick the knife in further.
As others have said, he can do no right. It comes as no real surprise that , after googling his name, the only positive news stories about him come from outside the UK media.  In a way that kinda makes me think he is somehow doing something right..

You are one of the best and balanced posters on here , we probably just need to agree to disagree on this one 👍

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Scotlad there is hypocrisy absolutely everywhere regarding  people holidaying in places with poor human rights . From football players to musicians, people way more revered than Humza Yousaf.
 Yes of course it would be better if he holidayed in a nice  European country that ticked the box of every politically correct voter but he didn’t.
It’s hardly a reason to join in with the GB news team , the most hypocritical thing about the whole saga is the type of folk complaining  are generally the biggest bigots and racists out there. 
Humza is on borrowed time, not because he holidayed in Qatar or because of his own  shortcomings , but because he has inherited a shit show left for him and in no small way amplified by the media that are spinning this nonsense.  There really is no need to stick the knife in further.
As others have said, he can do no right. It comes as no real surprise that , after googling his name, the only positive news stories about him come from outside the UK media.  In a way that kinda makes me think he is somehow doing something right..

You are one of the best and balanced posters on here , we probably just need to agree to disagree on this one 👍

Fairy nuff. 👍

12 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Encouraging poll out tonight for the SNP via Mirror/Find Out Now/Electoral Calculus

SNP 40

Labour 13

Lib Dema 4

Complete wipe out of the Tories. Disappointingly. all but 2 Glasgow seats going to Labour but all Borders seats SNP gains

That would be an excellent result for the SNP.

Do you know which Glasgow seats are they expected to retain, btw?

26 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Encouraging poll out tonight for the SNP via Mirror/Find Out Now/Electoral Calculus

SNP 40

Labour 13

Lib Dema 4

Complete wipe out of the Tories. Disappointingly. all but 2 Glasgow seats going to Labour but all Borders seats SNP gains

Can't believe that will happen. 

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That would be an excellent result for the SNP.

Do you know which Glasgow seats are they expected to retain, btw?

Glasgow South and Glasgow West. Seems bizarre Glasgow would mainly go red given Glasgow voted Yes by a huge margin in 2014.

The SNP have to make a huge fuss about Paul Sweeney's shares in BAE Systems who are going a long way to arming the likes of the Saudis and Israelis. Let's see how well that goes down with the pro Palestine sympathisers who might be considering voting for the Red Tories 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't believe that will happen. 

It does seem inconceivable, but let Starmer's non radical change towards Brexit, the retention of the rape clause and his various other u turns sink in. I think Labour won't make the gains they think they will up here. Starmer offers fuck all but hardline Unionism

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ce94a6c966f4a5cf3b54f34bd1b4789.jpeg

9 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

SNP 40

Labour 13

Lib Dema 4

Interesting that this bloke thinks the SNP are disproportionately focused in the central belt when so much of Glasgow is being lost to Labour.  

These are decent figures though if accurate. 

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Most folk on here will have holidayed in Spain more than anywhere else. Probably the most openly racist country in continental Europe. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'd like to think they will get 30.

35 would be an excellent result.

In practical terms it doesn't make a lot of difference how many seats they get as long as they get a majority.  Being at Westminster achieves nothing.  Getting a majority (which I think means at least 29 seats now) prevents the yoons from claiming that Scotland has voted unionist.

I can see the wheels coming off Labour's "surge" pretty soon.  At the moment most folk probably aren't aware what labour are offering: Brexit, unionism, pro-Israel, steal Scotland's resources, very likely parking charges at hospitals, pretty much stealing the Tory manifesto from 2010.  With a decent SNP leader, we would be in a strong position.  Yousaf's "kick out the Tories" is unimaginative shite - "kick out the Tories and get a different shade of Tory" is more  what that would achieve.  If he tries to keep indy out of the manifesto offering, then he can fuck right off.

Edited by Alibi

14 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Glasgow South and Glasgow West. Seems bizarre Glasgow would mainly go red given Glasgow voted Yes by a huge margin in 2014.

The SNP have to make a huge fuss about Paul Sweeney's shares in BAE Systems who are going a long way to arming the likes of the Saudis and Israelis. Let's see how well that goes down with the pro Palestine sympathisers who might be considering voting for the Red Tories 

Cheers KoP 👍

Glasgow West - yaldy! We've a good MP here who really doesn't deserve to lose her seat.

The whole Patrick Grady "scandal" (which was blown out of all proportion, IMO) has probably screwed their chances of retaining Glasgow North, and Glasgow North East is currently held by Anne McLaughlin, who's rubbish, so sadly I wouldn't be surprised if Labour takes those seats..

Funnily enough, that seat has changed hands between McLaughlin and the smarmy Paul Sweeney. I'm sure his comments about his shares in BAE were made in jest  - this is the same guy who not so long ago was pleading poverty because he lost his WM seat in 2019, so surely he would have cashed them in then - but if an SNP politician had made a similarly stupid joke Sweeney is the kind of sanctimonious tool who would be screeching about them resigning.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

If he tries to keep indy out of the manifesto offering, then he can fuck right off.

He has said a number of times that it will be on page one of the manifesto. I don't know many folk who actually read manifestos though.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I can see the wheels coming off Labour's "surge" pretty soon.  

I hope so. The Tories seem to be going for the "anti semitism" angle again. I don't understand how that angle works, but it seems to be effective.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I hope so. The Tories seem to be going for the "anti semitism" angle again. I don't understand how that angle works, but it seems to be effective.

It certainly does; that plus the constant u-turns, their cravenness on Gaza and just general sense of indecisiveness, I think, has resulted in this poll:

A 12 point lead at this stage is still very good but how long will that last if they carry on being wishy-washy? The election could be eight or months away. I'm old enough - just about! - to remember the 1992 election, when they were polling well right up until the day of the election and then, against most people's expectations, the Tories won it for another five years in power.

This by-election in Rochdale - a seat they currently already hold - is a debacle, and they might just have handed it on a plate to George fecking Galloway!

They're petrified of anti-Semitism accusations but if they alienate their Muslim support in the north of England they'll struggle to win a GE.