Indyref 2 (2) - Page 42 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Many factors have affected the current house price affordability problem. Tinkering with income tax bands is pretty low on the list.

Absolutely. And using Edinburgh as an example of in-affordability is ridiculous , its the bloody capital, look at London , or any other capital city for that matter. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My support for Scottish independence is solely based on the fact I think a Scottish government elected and accountable to the Scottish electorate will always act in the interests of Scotland better than one elected by middle England, the union is littered with events that I believe would have been handled better had we been independent such as the clearance, ww1 mortality, northsea oil, the general economy ect

You're not alone! 👍

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The Supreme Court showed us where we stand in an undemocratic union. I lay that blame at the door of the union - nobody else.

It was the SNP that promised the Scottish people an independence referendum. Maybe they should stop making promises that they can't guarantee?

It's in my view that they should go ahead and hold a referendum anyway (if there was an actual campaign for it)

5 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that I was correct to predict there wouldn't be an independence referendum

If you look at Sturgeon's statement at the time it was pretty full of wriggle room and get-outs.  Seemed a bit daft to announce it and THEN go to the SC.  Now the likes of Tommy Sheppard are saying that the de facto referendum would be a step in the journey rather than the conclusion!  How anyone can keep voting for these trough-slurping bstrds is a mystery to me.

Oh well, it'll be like going back to 1983 for me when I cast my first vote for the party of independence even though I knew they hadn't a cat in hell's chance of ousting the sitting Labour MP in our Fife mining constituency.  Looks like history will be repeating itself as I look for a pro-indy candidate on the ballot paper.

1 minute ago, Bzzzz said:

I'm REALLY disappointed with the SNP, backing down on the £20m indy money is gutless and pathetic. There are so many ways we could have dealt with that and being seen to back down is not one of them. 

but we're having a defacto referendum in 2024, it's just the UK are paying for it.  they can't use the money.

if they back down on 2024 i'll be first in line to agree.

16 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I'm REALLY disappointed with the SNP, backing down on the £20m indy money is gutless and pathetic. There are so many ways we could have dealt with that and being seen to back down is not one of them. 

There’s more to be gained in positive publicity from this decision with undecided voters, than there is damage to be done to ardent yes supporters (who will still vote Yes). 

It would be helpful if folk could have a bit of perspective. 

4 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

There’s more to be gained in positive publicity from this decision with undecided voters, than there is damage to be done to ardent yes supporters (who will still vote Yes). 

It would be helpful if folk could have a bit of perspective. 

I totally agree, however, they're not currently being asked to vote Yes.  They're being asked to vote SNP.

I agree with Salmond on this; it minimises the Yes vote rather than maximising it. with it being party political.

i hope they're coming up with a strategy and campaign to work through this problem.

Have they even thought it through? What happens if less than 50% of people vote for Yes parties, is that our "referendum" for another generation? The concept is bollocks. If it is over 50% then what is the plan?

What are the British state going to do to stop us if we decide we are having a referendum? If the people vote yes off the back of it and they tell us we can't negotiate our independence then support is only going to increase. It is a win win for us to hold a referendum anyway (as long as we can push support towards 60%) which we need a campaign for to happen

41 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

It's in my view that they should go ahead and hold a referendum anyway (if there was an actual campaign for it)

Totally disagree

A referendum would be a nightmare now

Get Holyrood disolved and get all the MPs back from Westminster

Call a plebiscite election that way

4 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Have they even thought it through? What happens if less than 50% of people vote for Yes parties, is that our "referendum" for another generation? The concept is bollocks. If it is over 50% then what is the plan?

What are the British state going to do to stop us if we decide we are having a referendum? If the people vote yes off the back of it and they tell us we can't negotiate our independence then support is only going to increase. It is a win win for us to hold a referendum anyway (as long as we can push support towards 60%) which we need a campaign for to happen

On your first point if we don't get through the 50% barrier then we know where we stand but as was stated in the 2014 Referendum Act the matter of Scottish independence can be revisited should there be a call for it at anytime.

I see what you are saying but if the Scottish Government ploughed ahead and held its own referendum it simply would not be recognized around the globe - a little like the Catalonia referendum a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I totally agree, however, they're not currently being asked to vote Yes.  They're being asked to vote SNP.

I agree with Salmond on this; it minimises the Yes vote rather than maximising it. with it being party political.

i hope they're coming up with a strategy and campaign to work through this problem.

Agree

18 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Have they even thought it through? 

No they haven't, which is why she said this :

“I can therefore confirm that I will be asking our National Executive Committee to convene a special party conference in the new year to discuss and agree the detail of a proposed ‘de facto referendum’.

I'm fairly sure you knew that already though.

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Agree

yip i think you'd have to be one of those "but I don't like Alex Salmond types" of 2014 not to vote SNP when it's clearly what needs done.  However, not everyone is me, those people exist! 

I think we'll need to really maximise the Scotland Yes vote.  In the circumstances we're in, I don't even think 50plus1 will definitely mean what independence supporters hope.   even if arguably it should.  I hope they're thinking about this for the January decision making and some kind of cross party forum is established.  Or something!  

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

No they haven't, which is why she said this :

“I can therefore confirm that I will be asking our National Executive Committee to convene a special party conference in the new year to discuss and agree the detail of a proposed ‘de facto referendum’.

I'm fairly sure you knew that already though.

she should have had this all agreed.  had enough time to work it out.  it was always going this way bar a miracle.

51 minutes ago, aaid said:

Worrying news of a split in the Indy movement.  It appears that Sean Clerkin has stormed out of the Scottish Resistance. 

I can’t see how the movement will withstand this blow..

I wouldnt be surprised if he joins up with manky jaiket - Clerkin does for Independence what the Holocaust denier does for the Union

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

January.

Have you not been invited yet? 😉

🗣 Special Conference to discuss and decide the way forward to secure independence following UK Supreme Court decision will take place in Edinburgh on 19 March #independence #democracy #snp #Yes

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-nine-month-emergency/

At this point you really just have to laugh.

The Lord Advocate’s reference to the Supreme Court was filed on 28 June 22. The court delivered its judgement unexpectedly early on 23 November, but that still gave the SNP five months to plan for the various possible outcomes and be ready to spring into action. But perhaps Nicola Sturgeon misunderstood. She’s just announced that the party won’t even talk about it until another four months after that – in other words, no action until spring.

Is there any point in us even observing how pathetic that is? Should we waste our breath noting what a contemptuous pantomime is being performed here by the Widow Twankies running the party? Can we be bothered mocking the idea that this is some sort of “emergency” response? For Heaven’s sake, even NHS Scotland ambulances arrive quicker than that.

SNP members, of course, have shown time and time again that they’re happy to be fed even the oldest, rottenest carrots by the First Minister, so we won’t hold our breath waiting for them to muster a scrap of anger over this painfully blatant insult to their intelligence, loyalty and commitment. After all, it’s not like they were ever going to be given any meaningful influence over the eventual decision anyway.

(Sturgeon has already made absolutely clear that a UK general election in 2024 is the only option she’s willing to consider, and there is only one authority in her new SNP.)

But good grief, readers. Good grief.