General ranting not politics related - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General ranting not politics related

Was going to spout, but am vexed by the dating of quotes. When the fuck are the 13 and 14th months, do tell. 
mine was a bug the last year since needing to use the buses more to get to certain places at a certain time  . Not getting old or lazy , just hardly able to walk . Much better now thanks. 

the bus timetable around here, a wee city centre on the ring road, is good. On paper , online, the app, according to the bus stop website.But , it’s a load of bollox. Akin to the flights and ferries that don’t exist but they sell tickets for. 
been telling a few people about the ghost buses for a while. But just the other day (good Friday after a good night)  a friend experienced it with me. 
the real con is as in business the degrees of separation that enables those that pocket most to have absolutely no responsibility. 
the ‘real-time’ bus stop time table is the responsibility of the council. The actual buses is a subsidised  private property ( stage coach in this case unsurprisingly) , and the online bus times website with real time maps is fuk knows.
Any who, the bus we were waiting for was 10 minutes away. According to the online map for bustimes had it in town heading our way. Even a registered number plate for it . Went to bus stop . Was 8 minutes away according to the bus stop , the count down         
             It didn’t quite get to due at the bus stop. It was two 2 minutes away, when it disappeared! So we went back to mine till the next one an hour later actually was. 
now I’m not complaining specifically about my personal inconvenience. No siree bob.

It’s just the thieving capitalist cunts thinking we button up the back . 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Was going to spout, but am vexed by the dating of quotes. When the fuck are the 13 and 14th months, do tell. 
mine was a bug the last year since needing to use the buses more to get to certain places at a certain time  . Not getting old or lazy , just hardly able to walk . Much better now thanks. 

the bus timetable around here, a wee city centre on the ring road, is good. On paper , online, the app, according to the bus stop website.But , it’s a load of bollox. Akin to the flights and ferries that don’t exist but they sell tickets for. 
been telling a few people about the ghost buses for a while. But just the other day (good Friday after a good night)  a friend experienced it with me. 
the real con is as in business the degrees of separation that enables those that pocket most to have absolutely no responsibility. 
the ‘real-time’ bus stop time table is the responsibility of the council. The actual buses is a subsidised  private property ( stage coach in this case unsurprisingly) , and the online bus times website with real time maps is fuk knows.
Any who, the bus we were waiting for was 10 minutes away. According to the online map for bustimes had it in town heading our way. Even a registered number plate for it . Went to bus stop . Was 8 minutes away according to the bus stop , the count down         
             It didn’t quite get to due at the bus stop. It was two 2 minutes away, when it disappeared! So we went back to mine till the next one an hour later actually was. 
now I’m not complaining specifically about my personal inconvenience. No siree bob.

It’s just the thieving capitalist cunts thinking we button up the back . 

public and private transport in Scotland and the UK in general is unreliable, over priced, generally inconvenient and doesn’t usually go exactly where you want at the time you want. Additionally it’s subject to change at a moments notice.

that’s why I own a car where I can travel exactly where and when the fuck I want in complete comfort with the extra bonus of being alone and able to transport t large items if there is a need to do so. Private bus companies are run not for the benefit of you.  Much better to have entirely independent mode of transport in my view.

if you want a functional transport system there are lots of countries in Europe that do it far better than us.  Those in the government who try and tell us we don’t need car ownership can stick it up their arse.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

that’s why I own a car where I can travel exactly where and when the fuck I want in complete comfort with the extra bonus of being alone and able to transport t large items if there is a need to do so. Private bus companies are run not for the benefit of you.  Much better to have entirely independent mode of transport in my view.

Says the guy who  2 weeks ago was moaning tae fuck about being stuck in a traffic jam 😆

I never really use buses so can’t comment. I wouldn’t like to be reliant on them right enough, I agree they seem overpriced. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Says the guy who  2 weeks ago was moaning tae fuck about being stuck in a traffic jam 😆

I never really use buses so can’t comment. I wouldn’t like to be reliant on them right enough, I agree they seem overpriced. 

ten years ago I used to commute to Aberdeen using bluebird/stagecoach buses. They offered commuter buses which did not detour through lots of different villages and it was cost effective for the commuter too. It now takes 90 minutes to do a 45 minute journey and the cost is between £17 and £18 for a day return. Pensioners get this service for free, anytime I see those buses when I am up in the northeast, I see only pensioners on them. Its basically a government funded service for pensioners now. There is the odd student and commuter but nothing like there used to be. Then you have the amount of stops, in two small villages there are four or five stops, some only 100 to 200 yards apart. I would never consider using the bus service in the north east. Its cheaper, more convenient and faster by car

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

ten years ago I used to commute to Aberdeen using bluebird/stagecoach buses. They offered commuter buses which did not detour through lots of different villages and it was cost effective for the commuter too. It now takes 90 minutes to do a 45 minute journey and the cost is between £17 and £18 for a day return. Pensioners get this service for free, anytime I see those buses when I am up in the northeast, I see only pensioners on them. Its basically a government funded service for pensioners now. There is the odd student and commuter but nothing like there used to be. Then you have the amount of stops, in two small villages there are four or five stops, some only 100 to 200 yards apart. I would never consider using the bus service in the north east. Its cheaper, more convenient and faster by car

Dont think it is much better in the central belt regarding all the stops . I had to get a bus from Johnstone to Glasgow a few years ago as the trains were off unexpectedly. It was murder. Took about 30 mins just to get to Paisley. 

It must be difficult though to find the balance. If old people are relying on them there probably has to be a number of stops as they may not be able to walk that far. And how many more people would use them if they were cheaper and more convenient? Especially with a lot of people home working now.

However if the government wants to encourage people to use more public transport it will need to get a lot better . How do countries in Europe manage it better and cheaper? 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont think it is much better in the central belt regarding all the stops . I had to get a bus from Johnstone to Glasgow a few years ago as the trains were off unexpectedly. It was murder. Took about 30 mins just to get to Paisley. 

It must be difficult though to find the balance. If old people are relying on them there probably has to be a number of stops as they may not be able to walk that far. And how many more people would use them if they were cheaper and more convenient? Especially with a lot of people home working now.

However if the government wants to encourage people to use more public transport it will need to get a lot better . How do countries in Europe manage it better and cheaper? 

I used the train whilst working in France/Paris and it was a fantastic service.  comfortable and reasonably priced.

I believe the German service is also similar. 
I now travel to London by train and it’s extortionate but as I care about the environment so much I do that rather than flying.

How a few of our closest neighbours in Europe do it , is not to have a management who’s priorities and appointments were made on the basis of how much they could financially get out of it themselves for as long as they can till they can no longer get away with it. 
believing nowadays it’s a legacy of the empire being based on piracy.

11 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

How a few of our closest neighbours in Europe do it , is not to have a management who’s priorities and appointments were made on the basis of how much they could financially get out of it themselves for as long as they can till they can no longer get away with it. 
believing nowadays it’s a legacy of the empire being based on piracy.

And I think many European governments heavily subsidise it - which I'm in favour of.

Not everyone has cars and a very good public transport is important, especially if we want to help take cars off the road like Malcolm does.

12 minutes ago, fringo said:

And I think many European governments heavily subsidise it - which I'm in favour of.

Not everyone has cars and a very good public transport is important, especially if we want to help take cars off the road like Malcolm does.

with the move to working from home I actually only do a few thousand miles a year so inadvertently doing my bit for the environment!

i remember the old days when we were encouraged to do as many miles as possible to justify tax reductions in company car benefit.  I drove to London and back to tip myself over the 28000 business miles for the year!

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

with the move to working from home I actually only do a few thousand miles a year so inadvertently doing my bit for the environment!

i remember the old days when we were encouraged to do as many miles as possible to justify tax reductions in company car benefit.  I drove to London and back to tip myself over the 28000 business miles for the year!

I'm on only joking. Not a real dig.

Petrol heads have brain damage.

we in the uk are run by psychos who reckoned sixty years ago that the best train network on the planet and public transport was a thing of the past . 
did , they fuk . They didn’t want joe public getting about. Just cunts affording whatever on offer. 

Ticket price add ons. Bought a ticket for a gig down in London. Face value was just over £40 on website, though no tickets for that price were available on the website. So, bought ticket for just over £50 but with all the extras ended up being £65! Just a rip off! They're not even asking for p&p as it's an e ticket!

Car alarms. Total waste of time,  everyone ignores them thinking its someone else’s alarm. Instead of that generic high pitch whistling sound or horn pumping everyone should have a bespoke alarm message telling them their car is getting robbed and to get off their arse. I could offer a few suggestions on here if there is the demand. 

On 4/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, vanderark14 said:

I occasionally take the bus from Dumfries to Glasgow as it's free for me now.  The advertising talks about free wifi and on board toilets, but that's only on the "big" bus.  half the time the service is run using the sort of coach you'd get to take you from the airport to your hotel - not terribly comfy for a two hour trip.  Also the old buses have a toilet compartment squeezed into the rear corner, but as far as I have been able to determine, they have removed the door handle and screwed the door shut.  if I knew which bus was going to be used at a particular time, might be possible to just get the big bus every journey but it seems to be a bit random; sort of 50:50 random.  As a result, more often than not I just drive.  I had visions of being able to have a few drinks then hop on the bus but with no toilet, that's not really an option.

If they want people to use public transport, they need to make it cheap and convenient, and that includes easy access to toilets on longer journeys.  In Europe, public transport is streets ahead in comfort, cleanliness and convenience.

12 hours ago, Alibi said:

I occasionally take the bus from Dumfries to Glasgow as it's free for me now.  The advertising talks about free wifi and on board toilets, but that's only on the "big" bus.  half the time the service is run using the sort of coach you'd get to take you from the airport to your hotel - not terribly comfy for a two hour trip.  Also the old buses have a toilet compartment squeezed into the rear corner, but as far as I have been able to determine, they have removed the door handle and screwed the door shut.  if I knew which bus was going to be used at a particular time, might be possible to just get the big bus every journey but it seems to be a bit random; sort of 50:50 random.  As a result, more often than not I just drive.  I had visions of being able to have a few drinks then hop on the bus but with no toilet, that's not really an option.

If they want people to use public transport, they need to make it cheap and convenient, and that includes easy access to toilets on longer journeys.  In Europe, public transport is streets ahead in comfort, cleanliness and convenience.

you are right.  Actually they were right in Trainspotting - Scotland is a shithole.  I mean it’s a naturally beautiful country that’s blighted by poverty, shit food and things being generally shit and not working. The state of our infrastructure compared to Europe.  quite fancy Switzerland.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

you are right.  Actually they were right in Trainspotting - Scotland is a shithole.  I mean it’s a naturally beautiful country that’s blighted by poverty, shit food and things being generally shit and not working. The state of our infrastructure compared to Europe.  quite fancy Switzerland.

I know this topic is meant to be non political but for an energy rich country with an educated population, that's hardly a ringing endorsement of the Union.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Folk who sell aftershave etc in pub toilets, is it even legal? Standing in front of the sink and hand drier so you have to interact with them ffs it’s a fucking toilet not a place of work!

I am not often in younger pubs these days but was in Maxy’s a couple of months ago and there was a lady selling things. It doesn’t bother me too much but it is a little awkward and can see how some folk feel an obligation to buy something. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am not often in younger pubs these days but was in Maxy’s a couple of months ago and there was a lady selling things. It doesn’t bother me too much but it is a little awkward and can see how some folk feel an obligation to buy something. 

Take the aftershave and perfume out the equation and it’s literally somebody watching other people do the toilet, it just isn’t right on any level