EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

I'm not really getting all the worrying about Haaland. Not mistaking he is a genuine superstar and goal machine but we dealt with Lewandoski and a Poland team that was far superior to this Norway side.

It will tough both in Glasgow and Oslo, but definitely not beyond us.

Poland knocked us out and Lewandowski scored twice.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we should be looking to beat Spain at hampden

Totally agree Malcolm.  We’ve had decades worth of negativity with managers, media and fans giving it the old ‘we huvnae got the players’ schtick.  Now we do have a squad that is at least capable of competing with the better teams we should talk it up a bit.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We beat our last pot 1 team at Hampden less than a year ago. 

Yeh true but spain are a proper heavyweight nation and we rarely beat those kinds of nations. I reckon we can give it a good go at hampden but personally i would bite the hand of a draw in that game.

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

More concerned with getting Georgia again!

Tiblisi has messed up previous groups and they've got some really talented players and made euros play offs.

That said Norway's away results aren't good either so that match could easily trip them up aswell.

Perhaps pot 5 was the ticket this time, incredible group for Northern Ireland to get in considering how low they've dropped. Got a decent chance of second if they can get some confidence back.

Wales will be pretty happy with what they've got aswell.

At least have the play offs as insurance and given all 2nd place teams go through there won't be as much quality in it as for world cup.

Agreed, think I'd rather have been a pot 5 team and got Northern Irelands group!  Not sure if our pot 2 status really aided us in this draw 🤔 

4 minutes ago, todd said:

Agreed, think I'd rather have been a pot 5 team and got Northern Irelands group!  Not sure if our pot 2 status really aided us in this draw 🤔 

It aided us in the sense that we avoided the nightmare draws that Ukraine and Ireland got.  Ireland look fecked as they have a brutal group and little chance of a playoff, just shows the importance of doing well in the Nations League I guess.

6 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

How many heavyweights have we lost to - at Hampden - in the past 25 years.

Not many from what I recall.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium (twice), England and the Netherlands in qualifiers; France, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium in friendlies, off the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium (twice), England and the Netherlands in qualifiers; France, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium in friendlies, off the top of my head.

Add brazil in there aswell. Lol is there any heavyweight nation we havent lost to at hampden in the last 25 years. 

Gotta love the optimism in here. Three good games against ukraine and ireland and suddenly we are going to tank spain home and away. Lets just aim for second and if we can get anything from the spain games then great.

A couple of bad results in our opening games and its back to doom and gloom again.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Add brazil in there aswell. Lol is there any heavyweight nation we havent lost to at hampden in the last 25 years. 

Gotta love the optimism in here. Three good games against ukraine and ireland and suddenly we are going to tank spain home and away. Lets just aim for second and if we can get anything from the spain games then great.

A couple of bad results in our opening games and its back to doom and gloom again.

That's the spirit! 🤣

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh true but spain are a proper heavyweight nation and we rarely beat those kinds of nations. I reckon we can give it a good go at hampden but personally i would bite the hand of a draw in that game.

That’s the spirit.