Friendly Dates in November - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

The silence on this is deafening, got a feeling this won’t happen (would be delighted to be wrong), I’m now preparing for 4 nights on the lash in Istanbul and 4 days of being a tourist. Tbh a couple of days with shorts on would be appreciated after the soaking I got on the picket line this morning.

Something wrong with being on a picket line while organising a piss up in a foreign land. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Something wrong with being on a picket line while organising a piss up in a foreign land. 

😂

Is this new Tory party policy? Anybody who goes on strike isn't allowed to go abroad for a holiday? 😂 What aboot Rwanda? 

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

😂

Is this new Tory party policy? Anybody who goes on strike isn't allowed to go abroad for a holiday? 😂 What aboot Rwanda? 

Not sure I know anyone striking because their current rate of pay won't allow a foreign holiday. I think the majority have far bigger issues to worry about.

I have no idea what expectations society has anymore, but if it's "I can't go abroad for a holiday" heaven help us. Maybe I'm getting old.

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

I’m now preparing for 4 nights on the lash in Istanbul and 4 days of being a tourist. Tbh a couple of days with shorts 

Not exactly shorts weather: https://www.holiday-weather.com/istanbul/averages/november/

I was in Instanbul in December a couple of years back and it was sleeting.

On 10/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, magoo310-0 said:

Phoned sfa today we should have confirmation sometime this week where turkey game is

Doesn't affect me but for those that are planning to go to Turkey it must be a pain in the arse still hanging on waiting for some sort of details on the match. 3 weeks away and virtually no info. 

Saw folk on social media blowing up about the venue. If you weren't braced for the announcement of Diyarbakir, then you've had your head in the sand and/or probably wouldn't have been going to Turkey anyway.

Geographically it's far out but there are literally dozens of internal flights from other very accessible cities in Turkey, even with the option of staying in a more 'touristy' location and just travelling on the day of the game as I've seen a few people do.

For me: such a niche venue which I'll likely never return to, so booking to stay there for 4 nights.

12 Nov: LGW - IST - DIY - arrive early morning of 13 Nov

17 Nov: 10am DIY - IST - LHR - arrive 4.15pm.

£282 all in via BudgetAir - All flights Turkish Airlines

Looking forward to it quite a lot. Seems to be a fair selection of reasonably priced accommodation, a modern 'new' town with a selection of bars and more international shops/restaurants and a very historic old town to have a look around too.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Saw folk on social media blowing up about the venue. If you weren't braced for the announcement of Diyarbakir, then you've had your head in the sand and/or probably wouldn't have been going to Turkey anyway.

Geographically it's far out but there are literally dozens of internal flights from other very accessible cities in Turkey, even with the option of staying in a more 'touristy' location and just travelling on the day of the game as I've seen a few people do.

For me: such a niche venue which I'll likely never return to, so booking to stay there for 4 nights.

12 Nov: LGW - IST - DIY - arrive early morning of 13 Nov

17 Nov: 10am DIY - IST - LHR - arrive 4.15pm.

£282 all in via BudgetAir - All flights Turkish Airlines

Looking forward to it quite a lot. Seems to be a fair selection of reasonably priced accommodation, a modern 'new' town with a selection of bars and more international shops/restaurants and a very historic old town to have a look around too.

Im not going but it sounds ideal, as you say somewhere you probably wont visit again, and wouldn't have if it wasnt for the football. Its goo to see different places from the norm.

agree with N4

For me places like this add to the games.

Slovenia in Cejle, Serbia in Nova Sad and Slovakia in Tvarna spring to mind.

I am going for a couple of days in Antalya plenty historic stuff and pubs so all good.

13 hours ago, dan cake said:

£91 return flights, 2 hours

For clarification I'm not expecting many folks to go by road, it's just mindblowing how long it takes to get from one side of Turkey to the other.

If I was free to go I'd certainly fancy the trip, looks an interesting place. My brother's father in law is Kurdish so I've heard a big about the history of that region. I'm curious to discover how the Turkish team are received there for one thing!

It is a huge country, and as I found out from our recent away trip to Armenia, half of Turkey was Armenia, as was Azerbaijan. Armenia is currently a tenth of it's original size.

And yes I'm going to a fascinating part of Turkey. The Tigris goes around Diyarbakir, and I'll also be visiting the Euphrates, further to the west, as well as Gobekli Tepe.

"Göbekli Tepe is a Neolithic archaeological site in the Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey. Dated to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic, between c. 9500 and 8000 BCE, the site comprises a number of large circular structures supported by massive stone pillars – the world's oldest known megaliths."

Oh and I've heard the Diyarbakir region has a reputation for the best kebab's in Turkiye. 😆

18 hours ago, Passportbob said:

It is a huge country, and as I found out from our recent away trip to Armenia, half of Turkey was Armenia, as was Azerbaijan. Armenia is currently a tenth of it's original size.

And yes I'm going to a fascinating part of Turkey. The Tigris goes around Diyarbakir, and I'll also be visiting the Euphrates, further to the west, as well as Gobekli Tepe.

"Göbekli Tepe is a Neolithic archaeological site in the Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey. Dated to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic, between c. 9500 and 8000 BCE, the site comprises a number of large circular structures supported by massive stone pillars – the world's oldest known megaliths."

Oh and I've heard the Diyarbakir region has a reputation for the best kebab's in Turkiye. 😆

I was saying this to someone the other day, this internal flight is probably longer than it would take to fly the length of the whole of the British Isles, and Diyarbakir is still a good few hours by road from the eastern border.