Friendly Dates in November - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

On 10/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, Johnnyshaker said:

Turkey away confirmed. Venue tbd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63176919

Am I missing something here? 
why is it our job to trawl through media and rumours to find out about a game. 
there is nothing on the SFA website and don’t think I have received anything from the supporters club. 
surely we should be the first to know not the last. 
starting to see why others have a particular view of the SFA.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, tartan davie said:

still nothing on sfa  website about turkey game any idea where it might be played

Yes there is but the venue hasn’t been confirmed yet. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-to-play-tuerkiye-in-november-friendly-match/?rid=13925&utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SSCUpdate_10102022&utm_content=Story3cta&mc_cid=eac7ececa4&mc_eid=e5091eb822

34 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's a hard one to book without a venue as it could literally be anywhere in Turkey and it's not the easiest to navigate if you guess wrong!

I just booked Istanbul you’ll be going via there if an internal flight is required anyway 

The Turkish Football Federation website says "the venues and start times of the matches will be announced in the coming days". It also says "our National Team will face Scotland on November 16 [...] in special matches in Turkey".

The phrase "special matches" implies the matches are going to be of elevated importance to the TFF and therefore may be held somewhere different that usual, which would further support Diyarbakir being the location for the fixture. It could be a mistranslation however.

Erdoğan was due to head to Diyarbakir in the last couple of days but had to rearrange due to an accident at a Mine elsewhere in the coutry and he had to go there instead. Mibi the original meeting would of been to rubber seal the venue for the Scotland game....

2 hours ago, Rents said:

Is there much appetite for this trip?

Midweek away friendlies generally don't attract, especially one as farfetched as this one and ostensibly giving the fans the finger by agreeing to play a game without having a venue announced.

Usually they serve as at least one of: a piss up, or a chance for people on low points to climb the ladder

3 hours ago, Rents said:

Not from me anyway. Pointless match and difficult and expensive to go to. Apart from being paid well i don't see what good a one off friendly will do us at this stage. Save the cash for the Euro qualifiers. 

5 hours ago, Rents said:

The less Scotland fans the easier it is to get flights, accommodation etc. You might actually speak to a local as opposed to someone that just stays round the corner from you, definitely my kinda trip. Fingers crossed for Diyarbakir as this is the only reason I’ll ever visit there

Edited by dan cake

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I would hazard a guess at about 5-600 would travel for this game

Fair play to anyone who makes the effort and spends the cash going to the game. I like there to be a football reason to travel and i just can't think of any real reason to go to this game(football related of course} It's a hell of an effort to make for a kick about. However, i'm sure those that go will have a ball anyway. Maybe 300-500 or so will travel. Have fun. 

15 hours ago, thesaint said:

Fair play to anyone who makes the effort and spends the cash going to the game. I like there to be a football reason to travel and i just can't think of any real reason to go to this game(football related of course} It's a hell of an effort to make for a kick about. However, i'm sure those that go will have a ball anyway. Maybe 300-500 or so will travel. Have fun. 

I won't be there either. I don't even go to home friendless. Friendlies are a waste of time from a spectator point of view, IMO.

Agreed on this. I am looking forward to this one. I am just getting tetchy with no announcement of the venue.

16 hours ago, dan cake said:

The less Scotland fans the easier it is to get flights, accommodation etc. You might actually speak to a local as opposed to someone that just stays round the corner from you, definitely my kinda trip. Fingers crossed for Diyarbakir as this is the only reason I’ll ever visit there

2 hours ago, Rents said:

Agreed on this. I am looking forward to this one. I am just getting tetchy with no announcement of the venue.

The silence on this is deafening, got a feeling this won’t happen (would be delighted to be wrong), I’m now preparing for 4 nights on the lash in Istanbul and 4 days of being a tourist. Tbh a couple of days with shorts on would be appreciated after the soaking I got on the picket line this morning.