Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

You are forgetting the most important one. Ukraine humped us at Hampden.

Ukraine are a decent side and are easily capable of beating us.

I am talking about games that we are expected to win. 

We won't always beat sides like Ukraine. The best we can hope for is that we beat sides like Ukraine more than they beat us and that we consistently beat sides that are weaker than ourselves. Clarke has mostly done that.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We won't always beat sides like Ukraine. The best we can hope for is that we beat sides like Ukraine more than they beat us and that we consistently beat sides that are weaker than ourselves. Clarke has mostly done that.

I think that getting humped at home by that Ukraine team was a worse result than the humping that we got in Dublin. If we had actually competed with them and got beaten in a close game, then that wouldn't have been so bad, but they ripped us apart in that game. We went out with barley a whimper. 

There's no doubt that our record in competitive games has improved, but the real test is our next 6 competitive games. If we win 2 out of the 6 and maybe get a draw here or there, then I would consider that a big improvement. We could easily lose all 6 though.

Edited by Orraloon

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think that getting humped at home by that Ukraine team was a worse result than the humping that we got in Dublin. If we had actually competed with them and got beaten in a close game, then that wouldn't have been so bad, but they ripped us apart in that game. We went out with barley a whimper. 

There's no doubt that our record in competitive games has improved, but the real test is our next 6 competitive games. If we win 2 out of the 6 and maybe get a draw here or there, then I would consider that a big improvement. We could easily lose all 6 though.

Eh? Ukraine have a much better squad than Ireland. Ukraines squad is probably better than ours. 

Yes it was disappointing losing our play off to them but it's hardly a massive upset or a really bad result.

Can you name the competitive games we lost under Clarke where we were heavy favourites or were expected to win comfortably?

I can't think of many.

Edited by mccaughey85

Im sure Clarke would love to freshen up the squad and especially in attack but really who is out there that is really ready to come in. We are forced into playing box to box midfielders in attacking positions and Steve Clarke has managed to find a system that works for us.

I reckon we will take 3 strikers and they will be the only 'attackers' in whole squad. Maybe at a push you could count Stuart Armstrong also.

Christie is now a DM for his club and Mcginn, Mctominay, Ferguson, Mclean are box to box. Gilmour and Mcgregor are DMs. 

He got the piss taken by Elliott Anderson so reckon he is done with convincing dual nationals to join. A lot here will be glad of that. We are all frustrated but we pretty much have zero attacking depth and getting us to another tournament deserves credit. 

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You are forgetting the most important one. Ukraine humped us at Hampden.

And there was the games against Slovakia and Isreal where a point would have got us promoted to the top nations league group. 

Guess the three games at last euros didn’t matter either. 

Overall he’s done ok but I would hardly say he deserves the legendary status some are offering him. 

1 hour ago, trout101 said:

very little competition at centre mid? stop being ridiculous.

last night was dreadful and I would have liked to see some more tinkering such as christie deeper and McT further forward etc but at the end of the day I'd rather focus on a near flawless qualifying campaign rather than 2 friendlies. I'm late 20s and spending my summer going to germany to watch scotland - my main feeling is one of elation. 

and yet he has got us to 2 tournaments 

Not being ridiculous at all, his main competition was Kenny McClean and Ryan Jack. How are we expected to qualify when we got these two jobbers starting for our national team so no surprise in Gilmour getting ahead of them.

Yes just because we qualified doesn't mean that everything is all rosie and perfect. If we continue to play how we have been for the last while then we will be knocked out very quickly in the Euros and I personally believe we have a good enough team to get to the knock outs and I want Clarke to sort out these issues before we play our first game at the Euros. However, I don't think he has managed the squad well recently at all, that shows in the debates about certain players not being given game time in certain positions and struggling to know who our first choice striker is etc...

1 hour ago, trout101 said:

fuck me this forum and the TA in general is full of absolute negative nancies. We qualified with 2 games to spare and were the 5th team to qualify for the whole thing.

Any other team scores 2 goals in a minute to beat Norway at home would be praised but no it is luck when it us apparently. Also wtf is this 'defender slip' pish? Hickey slipped to gift Spain a goal in spain after our goal was disallowed. We were closer to finishing 1st than not qualifying. Lighten up and enjoy our best period in over 25 years ffs!

You seem to be taking posts on here a little too personal.

The Norway game we played away from home was not one of our best performances, we were very fortunate to come away with a win in that. A draw would of been a fair result as we rode our luck at times.

Clarke has done great in the previous campaign  but in order to keep progressing then you need to be questioning some of the decision making at times as they are baffling but then you could say the same for every other manager in the world even Man City fans question Pep time to time

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

This place is mental. It's amazing after what Clarke has achieved that this thread is getting trawled back up as some kind of 'justification' and ppl are greeting that Clarke isn't good enough or we got lucky in qualifying. 

We are lucky this guy bothered his arse taking the poison chalice that was the Scotland job. Not only that but the fucker has actually stayed loyal to Scotland unlike ppl like McLeish or smith who fucked off as soon as a 'better' offer came in. 

Qualified for 2 tournaments, world cup play offs and won our nations league and ppl ain't happy because we lost a few friendly games to top opposition. Jesus wept.

As for the argument of having better players these days. If you consider strikers who can't score in the English championship or defenders and a goalkeeper who play for average championship sides as much better than our previous options then sorry but you are talking shit. Our squad today is only slightly better than the previous ones of the last 20 years. I would even say our squads from 2007/2008 were probably equal to todays one. 

Our current midfield is the best its ever been IMO, the options we have now are sublime. Full back positions best it's been in decades certainly. CB's are slightly better now I would say. Strikers slightly better now but thats a pretty low bar tbh. GK is much the same as 2007/2008 considering Gordon is still around.

You're deluded if you think otherwise...

38 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

This is just a big pile of pish, Ukraine are no better or worse than us. I would expect us to beat them 8/9 times out of 10 if we are playing them at home with the team we have, certainly not to be humped by them anyway. That game was a total disgrace, we weren't just beaten but outplayed by a team similar to us.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And there was the games against Slovakia and Isreal where a point would have got us promoted to the top nations league group. 

Overall he’s done ok but I would hardly say he deserves the legendary status some are offering him. 

I think you and I are pretty much in the same place on this one. He is doing OK and certainly isn't anywhere near needing sacked. I don't think I've seen anybody suggesting that he should be sacked? But as you say, nowhere near legendary status yet. The next 6 competitive games could change that though.

15 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Im sure Clarke would love to freshen up the squad and especially in attack but really who is out there that is really ready to come in. We are forced into playing box to box midfielders in attacking positions and Steve Clarke has managed to find a system that works for us.

I reckon we will take 3 strikers and they will be the only 'attackers' in whole squad. Maybe at a push you could count Stuart Armstrong also.

Christie is now a DM for his club and Mcginn, Mctominay, Ferguson, Mclean are box to box. Gilmour and Mcgregor are DMs. 

He got the piss taken by Elliott Anderson so reckon he is done with convincing dual nationals to join. A lot here will be glad of that. We are all frustrated but we pretty much have zero attacking depth and getting us to another tournament deserves credit. 

Very fair and totally agree with all of this. However Christie is clerly seen as an AM under Clarke and will not be moved into the DM role

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I mentioned the Israel game. 

So overall theres been three bad results. Not exactly terrible.

I didn't say the three games at the euros didn't matter but we were playing top opposition in England and Croatia and the Czech republic are easily capable of beating us.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think you and I are pretty much in the same place on this one. He is doing OK and certainly isn't anywhere near needing sacked. I don't think I've seen anybody suggesting that he should be sacked? But as you say, nowhere near legendary status yet. The next 6 competitive games could change that though.

This for me also. 

I remember when we were going into the last euros high on confidence thinking we were gonna do well especially being the home team then we got a tanking every game...

I have a feeling the same will happen again as we are not learning from past mistakes and still can't decide on what our best 11 is or formation considering the options we have available 

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This for me also. 

I remember when we were going into the last euros high on confidence thinking we were gonna do well especially being the home team then we got a tanking every game...

I have a feeling the same will happen again as we are not learning from past mistakes and still can't decide on what our best 11 is or formation considering the options we have available 

I think he knows exactly who his best 15 or 16 players are. I just hope they are all fit and available for the whole tournament but that's unlikely to happen.

5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This is just a big pile of pish, Ukraine are no better or worse than us. I would expect us to beat them 8/9 times out of 10 if we are playing them at home with the team we have, certainly not to be humped by them anyway. That game was a total disgrace, we weren't just beaten but outplayed by a team similar to us.

Lol this made me chuckle. You should never expect us to beat a team like Ukraine 8/9 times out of 10 at home. You shouldn't even expect us to beat average/poor teams 8/9 times out 10. 

We were outplayed on the day by a team who have a similar standard of player to us. It happens and can always happen no matter who's in charge.

Not sure where this crazy delusional expectation is coming from. Where have you been the last 20 years?

For us we have it in us to be a good side capable of getting through to the knock-out stage but it requires a few things to happen for that to happen such as:-

We must have all our key players fit and available.

We need all our key players to play at their highest level or as close as possible to it.

We need to settle on what our best side is and best formation.

We need to be more clinical in front of goal when chances come about.

At present, Sadly, none of that is happening.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

I will only accept folk saying Clarke should go if they can suggest a credible replacement who would be willing to take the job. I can only think of Michael O'Neill and he turned us down. 

Who is saying he should go?

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For us we have it in us to be a good side capable of getting through to the knock-out stage but it requires a few things to happen for that to happen such as:-

We must have all our key players fit and available.

We need all our key players to play at their highest level or as close as possible to it.

We need to settle on what our best side is and best formation.

We need to be more clinical in front of goal when chances come about.

At present, Sadly, none of that is happening.

And we need a bit of luck.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol this made me chuckle. You should never expect us to beat a team like Ukraine 8/9 times out of 10 at home. You shouldn't even expect us to beat average/poor teams 8/9 times out 10. 

We were outplayed on the day by a team who have a similar standard of player to us. It happens and can always happen no matter who's in charge.

Not sure where this crazy delusional expectation is coming from. Where have you been the last 20 years?

Considering how much you are cumming all over Stevie Clarke at the minute especially over the last qualifying campaign where we beat Spain and Norway away then why wouldn't you expect to beat Ukraine at home anytime we play them or a poor team 8 times out of 10?

Crazy and delusional to beat Ukraine? Get this mentality into the sea, if we are to progress then we need everyone to be believing we will beat these types of average teams otherwise what is the point in watching us as we will just be scudded most games.

We finally have a quality group of players playing at a very good level. Wales got to the semi finals in 2016 with a much worse squad so anything is possible

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Here's a fact - 2 Euros in a row qualified for. 

Here's another fact, 22 years of qualifying for fuck all before then. 

Entirely irrelevant 👍

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We're in pot A now but folk seem to be ignoring that. 

We drew at Wembley, give you the two home games. Particularly the Czech game but we are a far more experienced side now. 

Not seen anyone give him legendary status, he's infinity better than anyone else we've had for years though. Folk give likes of Stein and that joker McLeod legendary status and they fucked up every major tournament they went to.